What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan for Flanagan Swap

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep I agree Dave but I would think the opportunity has gone, my concern is that when Hook's contract is up next year who will be available, looking at a bunch of AC's i reckon to maybe draw a comparison.
There is certainly going to be a massive conundrum in a year and a half's time. There are several other clubs possibly reviewing their coaches - Wests Tigers, Warriors, Titans, Raiders etc. so most of who is available now will be picked up I should imagine. But in saying this, are the ones available now any better? Flanagan stands out but he has had some problems and I remember a clash between the Sharks and us when Flanno was their coach and Mary was ours, we flogged them 30-0 albeit it being in 2014, lol. Flanno was totally disgusted with the team.

However, as TrueBeliever has said in the "Sack Griffin" thread Hook still needs time to work on his plans for the long term future of the club and that is most probably the reason they have given him the extra year to do this and he has shown goodish progress. A lot of us have been critical of him as to how he has been handling the young ones, but we don't know what he has told them and how they will all be slotted into the games in the rest of this year and next year. I'm sure that all this has been spoken to the young ones over and over and for them to be patient - just like the young ones at the Panthers had to go through and even the likes of Cronk, Hunt etc. Just be patient.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Given that the "story" appeared on Zero Tackle I would say it has Zero Credibility.
However, if the club was to let Bud go in favour of a has-been who never was and who has been a flop at three clubs to date I'd say it would have to be the dumbest decision since we knocked back a young Danny Buderus and it would make me quite annoyed.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The 3 future juniors in our spine (Sullivan, Amone and Sloan) hate Hook so I can see where this article came from. Bennett is sniffing as well. Hook is causing havoc trust me. He needs to go.

Attack is worse under Hook and selections not much different to Mary's. Saints are a boring side to watch and players playing below their potential. Hook has his favourites which is a terrible trait as a coach especially when he keeps selecting his QLD buddies.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'd like to see Flannigan appointed as head coach and from there on, he can form our squad. Kyle is on too much coin and would have to drop to his market value before moving to another club so, the Dogs would have to stump up a lot of coin in order to get rid of him.

Our future is a Sullivan / Sloan halves combo with Amone at lock. Right now these players will fit into our cap. Hunt moving to hooker would drastically improve the performance of our forwards in attack.

Securing a marquee edge forward would have our pack up there with the best. Just imagine this 17 for 2023:

1. Ramsey
2. M Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Sloan
7. Sullivan
8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. M Molo
11. D Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Amone

14. Mbye
15. De Belin
16. Mcquire
17. Burns

In preparation for season 2023, Sloan, Sullivan, and Amone should work on their combinations, especially in defense. I'm sure coach Flannigan could make this work.

After considerable thought I tend to agree regarding Hunt at hooker and Sullivan at seven. Not really sure about Sloan in halves as I don't have enough knowledge to comment but it does seem radical. I'm not afraid to see us shake things up sooner or later and we will have to work within our means as we couldn't attract a fly to the club currently.

What I do know is Sullivan is a future star. We have him locked up for 3 years. His skills have been evident for years and he handles fg no worries (can't believe he has been dropped...). Luck for us our current 7 has many strings to his bow and it's time to use them.

I have come to love Hunt as the years have gone on. He puts 100% in and this includes putting his body on the line in defence (much like Sullivan does). He is great with the ball in hand and most frequently our best player but our halves keep underperforming as a whole no matter who plays in that 6 jumper. Hunt came in a won MOM in a SOO game last year at the dummy half role. He is playing even better in '22. Give him the hooking role and make the slower, less damaging McCullough, redundant. Allow for fluidity where Hunt can step into first receiver at times and then build up Sullivan and Amone in the halves and persist, persist, persist. With these dynamics and Sloan/Ramsey at number 1 suddenly we become less predictable and far more dynamic as a team, and best of all, we can save our money to put towards one of those pricey forwards coming on the market.

That's how I'd be shaking things up.

blacksafake

First Grade
The 3 future juniors in our spine (Sullivan, Amone and Sloan) hate Hook so I can see where this article came from. Bennett is sniffing as well. Hook is causing havoc trust me. He needs to go.

Attack is worse under Hook and selections not much different to Mary's. Saints are a boring side to watch and players playing below their potential. Hook has his favourites which is a terrible trait as a coach especially when he keeps selecting his QLD buddies.
The three amigos all hate Hook?
Is this factual or just your opinion ??

Mitty266

Juniors
Sloan and Sulli for the Fox and Burton. Two young players with potential but yet to nail down a starting spot vs two proven and high quality first graders.

Or they can have Hunt and pay his wage and we will take Flanagan Jr and use the spare cash to target a top hooker.
the second option is much more creditable…

But Don’t get it logical here mate. Your making my head hurt.

randomdragon

Juniors

shut the f**k up honestly, spreading garbage rumours.

Mojo

Bench
Much ado about nothing: the last line of the article says "However, the Dragons are not prepared to entertain a player swap at this time."

The whole thing is utter BS IMO.

This thing about Hunt blocking Sullivan's progress... FFS - drop Macca, Hunt 9, Sullivan 7 - and stick to it.

justadragon

Bench
Much ado about nothing: the last line of the article says "However, the Dragons are not prepared to entertain a player swap at this time."

The whole thing is utter BS IMO.

This thing about Hunt blocking Sullivan's progress... FFS - drop Macca, Hunt 9, Sullivan 7 - and stick to it.
We would all like it to happen, but it wont, and I hope Im wrong, very wrong I reckon if Hunt says he is good to go he will be the 7 against the cows,,,,