What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan re-signs with Dragons

rasaint

Juniors
Trif 13 made a sensible comment, let’s hope all the 3 amigos live up to the expectations.

Sloan imo has already shown he is the goods. Definitely, has Dufty speed with great anticipation. I think he scored 5 or so NRL trys already. He is the one I am most confident about.

Sullivan playing NRL out of favoured position of half back, has shown application in the game. Will be interesting.

Amone seems to have the swagger.

All 3 should have naturally put on a bit more size. Here’s hoping. As noted we look to have a bigger and stronger pack to give the go forward for them to demonstrate what they have.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
This is one of the club's biggest retentions in recent memory. I've been buzzing since the news came out yesterday.

It was so important that we held onto all three of these kids. They each have their perks as individual players, but the most important thing is that they are coming into grade with their combinations already built. That is massive for us.

nrlnrl

First Grade

St George Illawarra have secured its future in the halves with the club agreeing to terms with young halfback Jayden Sullivan for three more years.

The 20-year-old, already under contract for 2022, was free to talk to other clubs from November 1 but after fielding plenty of interest the South Coast junior will recommit to remain in Wollongong until the end of 2025.

It’s a move which shows the Dragons are planning for life after Ben Hunt with the skipper having two years remaining on his contract.

Edit
**I have had this confirmed to me.
It was never in doubt. (Patience is required sometimes)

possm

Coach
This is one of the club's biggest retentions in recent memory. I've been buzzing since the news came out yesterday.

It was so important that we held onto all three of these kids. They each have their perks as individual players, but the most important thing is that they are coming into grade with their combinations already built. That is massive for us.
Yes, it is important we held onto all 3 but now that we have them, we should put all 3 on the field in their preferred positions during the off-season training program and in the early rounds of the 2022 season.

With Hunt as our hooker, Mbye as the utility on the bench, and Bird possibly in the back-row rotation off the bench, we have more than enough flexibility to cover injuries or in the case that one of these young guns are having a bad hair day.

Morotti

Juniors
Yes, it is important we held onto all 3 but now that we have them, we should put all 3 on the field in their preferred positions during the off-season training program and in the early rounds of the 2022 season.

With Hunt as our hooker, Mbye as the utility on the bench, and Bird possibly in the back-row rotation off the bench, we have more than enough flexibility to cover injuries or in the case that one of these young guns are having a bad hair day.
could not agree more with this statement.

Could not believe we signed McCullough for 3 years and that he will be here until the end of 2023.

I think Hunt to hooker is the best option and gets all the other dominoes to fall into place.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There are issues for both Hunt and Macca being our hooker.
Whilst Hunt would most probably he an attacking type his defense would be a problem.
Macca, whilst defensively excellent, he's not an attacking type.

For example:
Hunt's tackle efficiency was at 82%
Macca's at 97%

Can Hunt maintain an efficiency at above 90% and still have attacking flair over a 25 game season? This is the big question. Also, would having Mbye as a 14 defeat the purpose of Hunt being a full time hooker if Hunt has to come off.

I think Hunt will eventually do this, but not until at least next year (season 2023).

Btw Mbye's tackle efficiency was at 90% last season.

Dragon David

First Grade
Whilst Hunt would most probably he an attacking type his defense would be a problem.

For example:
Macca's at 97%

Can Hunt maintain an efficiency at above 90% and still have attacking flair over a 25 game season? This is the big question. Also, would having Mbye as a 14 defeat the purpose of Hunt being a full time hooker if Hunt has to come off.

I think Hunt will eventually do this, but not until at least next year (season 2023).

To me, defence efficiency is the key and if Macca has this over Hunt/Mbye, then we should continue to play him at hooker. His reading of general play and ball distribution is quite efficient as well. Hunt can do more with his attacking skills which we definitely need next year. Mbye will be an ideal 14 for us. Hopefully he will be happy to hold that number next season.

Dragsters

First Grade

For example:
Macca's at 97%

Agreed.

Its not a question of whether Hunt is a better hooker than maca.

The question is and has always been his ability to sustain a move from a career in the halves to playing hooker full time, week in, week out.

I keep going back to the Bmoz move from wing to fullback.

He killed it for 3 or 4 weeks straight but the workload took its toll and injury saw him spend prolonged time on the sidelines.

This happened at the red v and repeated itself at the dogs a couple of times.

Yes Hunt kills it at 9 in origin but the weekly grind would take its toll and he himself admitted as much in a post origin interview...

George Dragon

Juniors
George,
Timely news and thanks for posting.

Obviously slow and steady won the race and all the criticism (by the forum drama queens) of what we were doing was both ill informed and unnecessarily critical of our club.

Are you seeing signs of increased optimism in particular areas and what do you expect will be the major differences between our 21 & 22 seasons?

There is an increased optimism throughout the club, which I agree with.
I think our signings are good for the club on and off the field.
The major difference I think will be our game plan and structure.
Hook didn't change too much with just the first pre season, but now with a year of planning it should be a lot better.

George Dragon

Juniors
Hey George, interested in your point regarding Milward signings not Hook. Don’t they work together on all signings? I’d hope they are on the same page.

They are not always going to be on the same page, I'm not just talking about signings but pathways and contract value.

The way I see it Milward thinks about the club and the players. These boys have know and been looked after by Basil for years. They are all close to him and appreciate what he has done.

Hook like all coaches has contract renewal first. So he concentrates more on the team and short term.
As I have said before Hunt will be the 7 while Hook is the coach.

getsmarty

Immortal

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks again getsmarty. The reporter had some trouble writing Illawarra methinks. He wrote Irawara several times.

Draginzaaar

Bench

Shouldn't we sign Ash Taylor so one of the young guys don't get a game?