What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sully Off To England???

Sam

Juniors
After the game tonight saw Matty Johns interview Sully and he said that he would remain tight lipped about going to UK. He said he had made a few bad financial decisions and if the money was right that it would be a big factor. Anyone know what his current contract is worth?

jc155776

Coach
I said at the beginning of the year that there was a strong chance of im going overseas and people lauged me off and said it would never happen...

Sam

Juniors
Why are they letting all their players go? We will never win a premiership.

black_dot

Juniors
IT's not that. He made a fantastic interview this morning on the radio about it. It seems that Sully will be going to the UK at the end of the year, he did not admit it or confirm it, but word at the club is that regrettably sully will be leaving.

It is not much to do with gametime, or the sharkies not rating him, he is a valuable and repsected member of playing staff and rated as a footballer too.

The decision to go to the UK will be purely financial. He can make 150K POUNDS per year in england when he is only making that in aussie dollars here.

Sully is a bloody strong man and has admitted poor financial decisions in the past few years have cost him dearly, he said on radio today that gambling was a big part of that. He needs the kind of money that UK can give him, but that the sharks cannot possibly pay him realistically.

A shame he got himself into the position, but credit to the guy for standing up to it and fixing the problem.

Been a tough 18months for the kid.

SirShire

First Grade
If we ever pay more than 200k for a bench player, I'll deadset end it. No more Lomus please.

If Sully is that keen on making ~$300k a year, he can f**k off for all I care, and we can get a decent hooker who will play good all year, not when there is a contract to be signed.

steveshark

----
Thanks Black Dot for the info - it has been a tough 18 months with the loss of his mother and his "financial problems" combined . lt takes guts to admit to those issues publically, could be a positive to the Sharks as he would be keen to impress prospective English Super League clubs with good form. Would be interested in "resigning him" after a stint in the ESL.

black_dot said:
IT's not that. He made a fantastic interview this morning on the radio about it. It seems that Sully will be going to the UK at the end of the year, he did not admit it or confirm it, but word at the club is that regrettably sully will be leaving.

It is not much to do with gametime, or the sharkies not rating him, he is a valuable and repsected member of playing staff and rated as a footballer too.

The decision to go to the UK will be purely financial. He can make 150K POUNDS per year in england when he is only making that in aussie dollars here.

Sully is a bloody strong man and has admitted poor financial decisions in the past few years have cost him dearly, he said on radio today that gambling was a big part of that. He needs the kind of money that UK can give him, but that the sharks cannot possibly pay him realistically.

A shame he got himself into the position, but credit to the guy for standing up to it and fixing the problem.

Been a tough 18months for the kid.

Heard the interview too.
He was very open about it all.
Sounds like he's been a little vunerable in the past 18months but has got his head back together. Might explain a bit of his form slump earlier this season.

wittyfan

Referee
Poor Sully had the gambling bug during his knee injury a few years ago. He ended up having to work as bricklayer in Sutherland to make ends meet.

Sully pretty much admitted while being interviewed by Matty Johns after the game that he's keen to go. I will be so devastated. :cry:

But why play in England? It's freezing cold, and while 150,000 pounds sounds a lot, the standard of living is very high.

SirShire

First Grade
I have no doubt that the fools that run our FC will throw $250k at him to keep warming the bench. Wouldnt suprise me a bit.

ESL - Wire

Juniors
sullyfan said:
Poor Sully had the gambling bug during his knee injury a few years ago. He ended up having to work as bricklayer in Sutherland to make ends meet.

Sully pretty much admitted while being interviewed by Matty Johns after the game that he's keen to go. I will be so devastated. :cry:

But why play in England? It's freezing cold, and while 150,000 pounds sounds a lot, the standard of living is very high.

He will get a good deal if he came to the UK, meaning cost of living, company car, bonuses and a salary. I doubt though he would be offered 150k, i am pretty certain of that. Maybe 100k is more realistic.

Wire have only just recently heard of this rumour, personally i am not sure about Sully. He might do well he might not, we do need a half back and that is why we have been rumoured with Orford.

We need a player with a kicking game, we already have a player who we rely on for that but need another player to take this pressure off.
Sully would be good to player as an impact or starting hooker though, we have two at the minute but one of them seems to be a better player when in lock.

Danny Nutley is an ex wire, and he was excellent for us along with Vagana, it's good to see that they are still player top rugby.

And the weather ain't that bad, it's pretty warm today, in the late 70's and there is no breeze. ;)

The Punisher

Juniors
ESL - Wire said:
He will get a good deal if he came to the UK, meaning cost of living, company car, bonuses and a salary. I doubt though he would be offered 150k, i am pretty certain of that. Maybe 100k is more realistic.

Wire have only just recently heard of this rumour, personally i am not sure about Sully. He might do well he might not, we do need a half back and that is why we have been rumoured with Orford.

We need a player with a kicking game, we already have a player who we rely on for that but need another player to take this pressure off.
Sully would be good to player as an impact or starting hooker though, we have two at the minute but one of them seems to be a better player when in lock.

Danny Nutley is an ex wire, and he was excellent for us along with Vagana, it's good to see that they are still player top rugby.

And the weather ain't that bad, it's pretty warm today, in the late 70's and there is no breeze. ;)
Its in the late 80's in my garden, just threw another shrimp on the barbie!!!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
A question. I recall talk of an import quota being placed on each English SL club. Is this the case? How many nrl players will they be happy with? There is talk of Palaisenna (sorry about the spelling) from the warriors being woed with huge money. Surely it does not help the poms national team with so many foreigners playing top grade.

Just on Sully. He is quoted as saying he still has a bet or two and the logic is he does not believe in cold turkey and is weaning himself off gambling. A bit like a recovering alcoholic saying he still has a drink.

ali

Bench
There's a quota of 3. But that doesn't stop anyone who can get there hands on a European passport or Pacific Islanders under the Kolpac ruling, walking straight into a team outside of the quota. So effectively they could field a side with no Englishmen. That's not the Rugby League's fault, but European laws.

Mr Effective can probably get a Samoan passport, hence he wouldn't be on the quota.

ESL - Wire

Juniors
ali said:
There's a quota of 3. But that doesn't stop anyone who can get there hands on a European passport or Pacific Islanders under the Kolpac ruling, walking straight into a team outside of the quota. So effectively they could field a side with no Englishmen. That's not the Rugby League's fault, but European laws.

Mr Effective can probably get a Samoan passport, hence he wouldn't be on the quota.

We are only allowed three Aussie on the quota per team and yes there is the kolpak ruling. But how many kolpaks are there playing in the NRL? there seems to be quite a few per team.

And we have another warm day ahead today :)

Latest posts