What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summary?

64 Dragon

Coach
Nightingale's try was brilliant. Was it a fluke? Why can't we play like that more often? Also the forwards must have been instructed not to offload the ball. I counted one offload all night. It was pretty boring but a win is a win. We out Bennetted Bennett. Defence was good considering the knights were ineffective in attack. They certainly miss Gidley.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Embrace the volume buttons or more appropriately the mutant button which is used when mutant geniuss like those employed by Nein are let near a microphone.
I wanted to hear the crowd and the onfield noises. I made a decision very early to treat every sneering comment from the commentary as the words of mindless dickheads.

I actually did a study of this once.

How do we get rid of these clueless talking heads? It seems we have a few choices:

Hit the Mute Button
Hitting the mute button will instantly free yourself from the monotonous gibberish. Unfortunately you lose everything else, the sounds of the crowd, the bone crushing tackles etc. For mine, that's simply not good enough.

Turn down the TV and tune into radio
If you're lucky enough to have the same game on radio, you can exercise some choice over which commentators you want to hear. But the same problem exists, you still have to hear someone talking over the preferred sounds of the game.

Pretend to call the game yourself
It might sound silly, but you could always talk over the top of the commentators and convince yourself that you're doing a better job. The more people in the room with you, the more entertaining it can be. This method works equally well by just barracking and cursing loudly. The downside is that you may ultimately get told to put a sock in it.

Have an out of body experience
Torture victims sometimes speak of removing themselves from the scene while coping with the trauma of torture. Apparently it's highly recommended as a way to stop government secrets falling into enemy hands. Meditation or mentally blocking out the commentators sounds great in theory, but maybe it's a tad unrealistic.

Go to the game
Well of course. If you really want to get the full experience and totally avoid the media mumbo-jumbo, then get on your bike and go to the game. But sadly, the tyranny of distance doesn't always allow for this. Our scenario here is specifically for those who are forced indoors for the day.

Agitate for new technology - power to the people
By far the best solution is to put the power of audio into the hands of the viewer. There must exist technology where we can actually choose what we hear.

Any audio that goes to air must also go through a sound engineer's desk. Microphones have their own channels. The sound engineer controls the volume and tone of each channel. If he/she wishes, the engineer can mute or turn down a channel. They can effectively silence any part of the audio feed. In a perfect world, we should be able to control this in our homes.

I believe the technology is already there, so why isn't it freely available?
Well for a start, it would take away the commentators spruiking some product or network TV show. After all, nowadays that seems to be their prime objective. Sadly, it may take a revolution before it's 'power to the people'.

Of course, I don't speak for all. Believe it or not, some folks actually prefer to hear the commentators over the crowd noise. Alas, I can't help everyone. Suffice to say, they'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

F7s

TheRev

First Grade
I heard some fans in the grandstand booing Soward after a couple of errors in the 2nd half. If you guys are on the forums, you are a f**king disgrace.

Hmmm I guess that was relating to kicking dead for the restarts? It is a negative tactic, but no different to kicking for touch, I like the idea because you can settle your defensive line.

But I can understand why some people don't like it, and honestly the NRL just needs to change the rule if they want to change that tactic, I don't understand why rule changes take so long in this game, we should try new rules every year, fine-tune the game.

FlameThrower

Bench
just got back from the game, 1st half was good, a few suss video ref calls. Creagh dropped 2-3 tries over the line. 2nd half was grind and both sides had some chances blown. At the ground crowd all though Nightingale try, should have been penalty try ?
overall, rough around the edges, with heaps of still left to improve..
Soward flavour of the month is the aerial bomb and i don't think it's working. Vidot put Morris under huge pressure with a dumb inisde pass, almost like Jared Hayne in Origin where Lockyer then scored....

64 Dragon

Coach
Hmmm I guess that was relating to kicking dead for the restarts? It is a negative tactic, but no different to kicking for touch, I like the idea because you can settle your defensive line.

But I can understand why some people don't like it, and honestly the NRL just needs to change the rule if they want to change that tactic, I don't understand why rule changes take so long in this game, we should try new rules every year, fine-tune the game.

This was a tactic that bennett brought to our game in2009 or 2010. The media went nuts and said it was against the spirit of the game. I think it was to keep the ball away from Jarred Hayne. It worked. They will have a field day tomorrow. Gould and Warren did.

Efresh

Coach
The last tackle bomb is not a new thing for Soward or Hornby. For the last 3 years the play was to bomb it and smash the fullback 5m out from his line and win field position that way.

Rev - no, it started when he tried to bat it on to Vidot and continued whenever he got a touch of the ball or didn't smash someone in defense up until he put in that kick to the left corner and forced the drop out. Admittedly it was only a few people, but I sit up in the Cat 1 member seats so they were almost certainly our fans.

redvwhite

Juniors
Whatever keeps a good fb out of the game I guess is fine but Soward should be kicking to get more line drop outs. He's good enough.0

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Surprise surprise, the Nine commentary made the same suggestion.

Sounds like you're advocating the same.

Sterling said having a restart at 30m would discourage the tactic. But to penalise a team an extra 10m for kicking dead is ridiculous. How do you then differentiate between a deliberate tactical kick going over the dead ball line and a kick into the in-goal that trickles over the dead ball line?

You said it yourself, it is really no different to kicking for touch. Kicking for touch is not considered negative. The only reason people are down on the kicking dead is because of the whinging from TV commentators.

God-King Dean

Immortal
As I said in Jub Ave.....

They wank on about how entertaining the Tigers are. They are coming 14th.

They said we were boring tonight. Saints are in the 8.

Do the math.

Reyter

Juniors
As I said in Jub Ave.....

They wank on about how entertaining the Tigers are. They are coming 14th.

They said we were boring tonight. Saints are in the 8.

Do the math.

They aren't boring at all except when attacking the opposition line where they look clueless.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I was at the game and was pleased with the way the boys played. Their attitude seemed to be back. If Vidot could cut the errors out of his game he could be anything. I have my heart in my mouth every time he runs the ball back.

I thought all three disallowed tries were tries.

I went to the game with my brother who said the entire second half, I wish Soward would chip over the top or do something different. The reality is with an 8 point lead I wanted the Dragons to grid it out.

It reminded me of our 2010 wins, we just need to do it consistently.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Vidot put Morris under huge pressure with a dumb inisde pass, almost like Jared Hayne in Origin where Lockyer then scored....

It was Brett Hodgson who threw the pass ( game 3 of 2006, the pass that started the QLD domination... )

sethman75

Juniors
That was a terrible game to watch, i can't imagine the pain trying to watch that as a neutral.

So much dropped ball from especially us that if we were playing a team even with an average bit of mongrel we would have lost by 20.

I can handle watching boring, slow play if there are no errors in the game like we were under Wayne but we are playing boring, shit footie and we are making basic handling mistakes as well.

What the hell was going on with kicking the ball dead in goal on the last play?? That is one of the most cynical things i have seen while watching NRL and i have been watching since the 80's.

Goes to show how defensive and dour it was when Dan Hunt wins the MoM.

I can't really think of any positives from the game except we won by Newcastle playing freaken horrible not by us playing well.

gypsy

Bench
I reckon we were robbed a possible penalty try in the first half. Creagh dropped it over the line after copping a high shot, was at least worth a look. The refereeing for both sides was terrible tonight.

TheRev

First Grade
Sounds like you're advocating the same.

I said I actually liked the tactic for settling the side, but what I don't understand is why the rule still is what it is if the Rugby League Public genuinely want to see less stoppages in the game, its such an easy one to change, its not even controversial.

However, there are lots of other rule changes I would like to see though, maybe the new commission will help with that.. I just want to take out those grey areas that always lead to frustration in their interpretation.

This Year?

Immortal
lol @ the downtown rule change advocators. Why don't we just change any rule that doesn't cause a set of 6 to start from a set play just to make them happy?

Our forwards outmuscled the Knights and their ballplayers weren't given much to work with. That 15-20 minute assault in the 1st half drained them. The Nightingale try was brilliant (one of the Storm's pet plays). Our last tackle option lacked polish, but I'm very happy to win a game we don't normally win.

mmap dragons

Juniors
Happy with the two points.

Amen to that. I thought they played well in the first half. Quick play the balls, Effective go-forward. I also thought they were a bit more creative as well and the scoreboard didn't reflect their dominance in the first half. Having said that, It appeared they were clock watching in the second half rather than having the mentality to put Newcastle away. Anyway, it sure beats the feeling after a loss.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Fien was the difference in getting our forwards over the advantage line when it mattered. Rein has been flat the past few weeks. Needs to step up.

Merrin is a bloody champion. Thought prior was average... Again... But no surprise there. Absolutely nothing to offer whatsoever. Scott was very very good. Creagh was very very good, despite his pathetic hands.

Soward kicking game excellent, running game poor. Very unorganized I thought.
Lots of wingers running from dummy half. Obviously clear tactic not to shift the ball tonight. Morris getting better at fullback.

Need cooper back for the balance of the team.