What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summary?

Mr Red

First Grade
- Price persisting with back rowers in the centres... Prior was WOEFUL!

Prior was not woeful. He did all that was probably asked of him. He made no mistakes, didn't drop the ball and was good in defence. He plays where he is picked. If you don't like it blame Price. Another thing - WE WON and got two points.

made no mistakes and was good in defence? not sure what game you were watching..

apart from the knights try where he half came up, stopped and then started to shift sideways when the rest of the defensive line was still going forwards... but anyway i will blame that one on him simply not being a centre....

how about the one on one miss when he came up and chris houston stepped him and ran downfield another 20 meters? luckily it was houston and not someone like Uate or Tahu otherwise it was a try...

but anyway.. you watch your game and i will watch the real game.

i do agree though on one point.. Prior is being made to look even worse than he actually is due to Price playing him out of position..

Godz Illa

Coach
apart from the knights try where he half came up, stopped and then started to shift sideways when the rest of the defensive line was still going forwards... but anyway i will blame that one on him simply not being a centre....
Nope. 100% Vidot's fault. No need for him to come in so far on that play. Misread.

how about the one on one miss when he came up and chris houston stepped him and ran downfield another 20 meters? luckily it was houston and not someone like Uate or Tahu otherwise it was a try...
That was a bad miss sure, but there was no major cost. He made some great decisions and great 1 on 1 tackles when we were under pressure in our own red zone. Seems harsher than usual to bag a player one miss over the course of 80 minutes. He did well

Reyter

Juniors
There was space between Taia and Roberts and Hornby saw it. He let Taia commit just enough to put Scott on his outside shoulder and fed the ball quickly. It was smart halfback play.

But yeah, spin it however you like.

LOL So what you are saying is that he wasn't put into a gap but Hornby got the ball and immediately passed to Scott and Taia or Roberts missed the tackle. That is precisely what I saw to.

gypsy

Bench
lol sorry Godz but that's just a catch and pass. Im all for Hornby but that was Scotts try completely

giboz71

First Grade
Since its been raised, it's still worth discussing... Lack of stoppages are the area that separates our game from Rugby Union, which is unwatchable due to the constant kicking out and forcing line-outs.

yeh mate I agree with you. and even in Union, there are rules that discourage kicking the ball over the dead ball line, as the opposition get the ball at the point where it was kicked.

I don't like the tactic myself, yes it's legal but I think it's cynical. I love the free flowing play of league as opposed to Union and NFL, and anything that deliberately slows down the game should be looked at.

I remember after the 85 grand final, the rule changed when you caught the ball in the in goal on the full. I think the tactic of peppering bombs in the in goal area was a lot less cynical than just blasting the ball over the dead ball line.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Kicking the ball over the dead ball line is a tactic that we have used for years. Why now is it suddenly under scrutiny? Oh I forgot Wayne brought it in. "Master stroke" from a coaching enigma, transformed into, "not in the spirit of the game" as applied by a rookie coach. What Wayne did was sacrosanct but poor Pricey well ......................?????????

Bring back choc

Juniors
I love it how people try and defend prior by saying "he didn't make any mistakes".

Haha kind of proves the point that he is honestly hopeless.

If saying "he made no mistakes" means he had a good game then f**k me dead

gypsy

Bench
I love it how people try and defend prior by saying "he didn't make any mistakes".

Haha kind of proves the point that he is honestly hopeless.

If saying "he made no mistakes" means he had a good game then f**k me dead

how do you rate Cuthbo these days? still worth 400k a year?:)

Hornby played as he almost always does. Solid, didn't make any or at most very few mistakes, was good in defence, led the team well, threw a few hospital passes, only one of which led to a dropped ball, kicked well when called upon to do so and showed zero creativity. Soward was best when at first receiver and Stanley showed again he is a much more effective ball player than running back.

I was a fan of Hornby when he played FB and couldn't understand why Bennett brought Boyd with him. Now it's obvious the game had changed and Hornby was no longer a top class FB. The same is true of half-back now. Thankfully Morris is playing so well at FB or I'm afraid the Dragons wouldn't have scored a single try over the last 4 or 5 weeks.

I'm sorry if it upsets people but I place the team's success over any individual. Hornby has been a good and loyal player for the Dragons for a long time and has been handsomely compensated for it. Now the time has clearly come for him to step aside.

Seriously mate, you're like a broken record.

gypsy

Bench
(a) he would waltz into our top 17
(b) all Newcastle players are playing terribly..
(c) you are a crumb
(d) prior is very very ordinary.

Prior is very solid, future origin player.
Cuthbo is overweight and overrated. One good game at the Dragons doesn't make a player.
Champ.

Reyter

Juniors
(c) you are a crumb

I don't think he would be in the Dragons top 17. Unless King and/or Rein and/or Fein were playing for the Cutters and Young the replacement hooker, I think he wouldn't have a hope.

Of course if here were in a strong forward pack like that of St George he may be much better.

Reyter

Juniors
Seriously mate, you're like a broken record.

Sorry if you don't like it but I want the Dragons to win too much to just shut up about it. I really feel sorry for Hornby as he has been so good for so long and is so poor now but then I think about it, he has been well paid and is equal first in most games for the Dragons and etc. One could feel sorry but a serious Dragons fan could also be angry with him. Bennett would have almost certainly made the tough decision but it's a big ask for a rookie coach to drop a club legend for an untested replacement. Hornby should feign a 4 week injury. As the team is at present, they have no chance of winning the competition. This upsets me a lot, especially when I believe they have the personnel to make a serious challenge for the competition.

Minh

First Grade
(c) you are a crumb

Come on BBC I would take Prior over Cuthbo anyday, Cuthbo has had one maybe two good games in the last year.

Minh

First Grade
Cuthbo was awesome in the semi final last against Brisbane but not much else really.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cuthbo was awesome in the semi final last against Brisbane but not much else really.
Saw the same thing as you Minh. He was sensational with his forward charges and almost won us the match.

But as one old forward and fellow forummer pointed out to me, Cuthbo was playing for a contract at the time.

Latest posts