What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun Tele Headline: Tri-Nations reaches a new low after brawl

Brutus

Referee
Rugby league is certainly in fine hands when the company that half owns the game continually comes up with headlines such as this. This was found on page 53 today in the sports section and was obviously refering to Senior v Matai dust up which I found compulsive viewing for any red-blooded RL fan. We then have a double-page spread focussing on more international RL violence.

International rugby league hasn't got a hope of succeeding with so many people willing to bag the sh*t out it.

I personally love int footy and have found that this Tri-Nations has provided some of the more interesting, intense and compelling RL played all season.

agree with your sentiments - I was pretty disappointed to read the headline. I was just listening to MMM in the car and the 11am newsreader started the sports headlines with "and there was more Tri-Nations rugby league last night, which meant more violence" - also disappointing. It's been a good series so far, I don't know what media organisations feel the need to put the boot into International RL

Kiwishark

Juniors
I definately think the fans want to see biff. At the game, after that punch-up, the crowd was buzzing. Truly electric. All the Kiwis were getting in behind our boys, and whenever Senior got the ball we wanted his head. It added another level to the game.

Intl footy is obviously going to face a lot of hurdles on it's way to the pinnacle, but I think it will make it.

screeny

Bench
'New low'.....? That's so inappropriate and OTT it does lead one to conclude there's an agenda being followed in some areas of the media.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
There has been a media driven agenda to highlight the violence from game one in Auckland, they haven't let up. I actually expected the Matai v Senior thing to erupt last night but after getting sin binned they just got on with the game. Compared to AFL player who have absolutely NO self disciplne and the Brendon Cannon punch v Italy which has been glossed over.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Brutus said:
Rugby league is certainly in fine hands when the company that half owns the game continually comes up with headlines such as this. This was found on page 53 today in the sports section and was obviously refering to Senior v Matai dust up which I found compulsive viewing for any red-blooded RL fan. We then have a double-page spread focussing on more international RL violence.

International rugby league hasn't got a hope of succeeding with so many people willing to bag the sh*t out it.

I personally love int footy and have found that this Tri-Nations has provided some of the more interesting, intense and compelling RL played all season.

there was this gem from dickhead Connolly

http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles/2006/11/12/1162661956161.html

Still, every code has its issues from time to time but rugby league tested some new standards with the Willie Mason debacle during the week.

I'm sure the chief executives from Australia's other major football codes all slept more peacefully than NRL boss David Gallop.

The NRL has spent millions of dollars and Gallop has worked tirelessly putting development officers on the ground and promoting the game to parents, children and sponsors. They certainly did not need the events of the past week to undo that good work.

While most professional sports are different, there are some standards that apply to all football codes.

Rugby league tested some new standards in the match against Great Britain and the events and comments that followed. Australia coach Ricky Stuart was telling everyone this sort of drama was what gave league the "X factor".

No doubt, in the heat of battle, things happen. What should never be forgotten by league, union, AFL and football is that they are setting an example for all levels of their games.

Tubby conveniently decided to forget the fights in the International Rules series that have probably killed it off for good.

the media most certainly have an agenda.

Jeffles

Bench
At least this shows media independence.

The problem lies not with the headlines but rather with the stupid disciplinary procedures the Tri Nations teams adopted for the tournament.

screeny said:
'New low'.....? That's so inappropriate and OTT it does lead one to conclude there's an agenda being followed in some areas of the media.

My thuoghts exactly.

Its totally inexplicable and unacceptable. The NRL needs to do something about this kind of press.

They can't bag the quality of the matches, so now its a violent farce. What about the tiny article about the true disgrace - international rules - next to it....

unbelievable.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I've always wondered why the new owned telecrap gets away bagging league at every opportunity. perhpas news is going with the "there's no such thing as bad publcity angle"

Canard

Immortal
You should have seen the fight in the England/Tonga league match here in England that was a beauty!!

Latest posts