What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday News - Witt not a hit anymore.

wittyfan

Referee
Witt not a hit anymore
By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 01 March 2009

MICHAEL Witt, the man who scored arguably the greatest try in Warriors history, has been "rewarded" with the shock news that there's no room for him at the club.

The star playmaker was surprisingly left out of the top side for all three pre-season trials this season.

And, last week, he broke his silence over his future at the Penrose outfit, telling both Sunday News and Radio Sport that coach Ivan Cleary has already told him he "won't be playing this year".

Witt was one of the stars of the the Warriors' run to the preliminary final last year, producing one of the year's most sensational plays when, with time up on the clock in the first round of the playoffs, he crashed over the line out wide to produce a shock 18-15 win over the Storm in Melbourne.

But, despite his heroics for the club, not to mention his unrivalled ability to turn any try into six points, Witt has been told to look elsewhere for a home and will be released if he finds a new deal before the season is out.

"It's quite a strange one really," a visibly gutted Witt said.

"I'm obviously coming off contract at the end of this year and if I'm being honest, I think it's going to be a very long year for me.

"I feel like I'm on the outer here.

"I don't think I will be playing too much first-grade this year and I guess that's quite hard to take, especially knowing I've done my best and played as hard as I could for the Warriors.

"I've enjoyed my time here but I guess that's footy and the nature of the professional game.

"The coach has told me I won't be playing this year so we will just have to see what happens." Last year, Super League side Hull sought Witt out about a possible move to the Northern Hemisphere ahead of this season.

However, the talented half chose not to pursue talks because he felt his place in the first-grade side at the Warriors was secure.

"There wasn't a written offer or anything but the prospect of signing with Hull was certainly raised," he said.

"We sort of said no because I wanted to stay here and now I think things have changed with the Warriors a little bit.

"The club's pretty happy for me to look around.

"There's been some crazy going-ons. "I guess the timing of that offer was just a little bit out so it's a tough one for sure." Many fans will today be wondering what exactly Witt has done to get offside with club bosses.

And he is in the same boat.

"I have asked Ivan what I've done wrong," said Witt.

"He's been pretty straightforward and told me it's nothing personal but that the club is going in a different direction.

"Unfortunately, Michael Witt's not part of that direction." With the recruitment of halves Stacey Jones, Liam Foran, Aaron Heremaia and Joel Moon ahead of the season, Witt now appears to be last in line to pull on a first-grade jersey.

But Cleary says the former Sea Eagle still has a chance to play in 2009.

"Everyone's got a chance to play first-grade," said Cleary.

"Witty is probably the one guy who fits in a category where there's a lot of players lining up for his position.

"I made it clear to all the halves last year at the end of the season that in 2009 I want them to go to the next level.

"Whether that be having different personnel or more depth because more competition produces better performances we've obviously bought Stacey in because we are looking for a little something more and Joel Moon as well.

"We are looking to go to a new level and what that level is and who plays in what positions, that's up to the boys." Warriors director of football John Hart backed Cleary's stance that Witt still has a chance of playing first-grade this year.

"He's obviously in the back-up role at the moment and we are trying other options at No 6," Hart told Sunday News.

"That's not to say that he's not an option."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4863908a15599.html

Skinner

Coach
Sounds like bullsh*t talk from Cleary and Hart. I think it's called having your cake and
eating it too......

Scottey

Juniors
Witt not a hit anymore
By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 01 March 2009

MICHAEL Witt, the man who scored arguably the greatest try in Warriors history, has been "rewarded" with the shock news that there's no room for him at the club.

The star playmaker was surprisingly left out of the top side for all three pre-season trials this season.

And, last week, he broke his silence over his future at the Penrose outfit, telling both Sunday News and Radio Sport that coach Ivan Cleary has already told him he "won't be playing this year".

Witt was one of the stars of the the Warriors' run to the preliminary final last year, producing one of the year's most sensational plays when, with time up on the clock in the first round of the playoffs, he crashed over the line out wide to produce a shock 18-15 win over the Storm in Melbourne.

But, despite his heroics for the club, not to mention his unrivalled ability to turn any try into six points, Witt has been told to look elsewhere for a home and will be released if he finds a new deal before the season is out.

"It's quite a strange one really," a visibly gutted Witt said.

"I'm obviously coming off contract at the end of this year and if I'm being honest, I think it's going to be a very long year for me.

"I feel like I'm on the outer here.

"I don't think I will be playing too much first-grade this year and I guess that's quite hard to take, especially knowing I've done my best and played as hard as I could for the Warriors.

"I've enjoyed my time here but I guess that's footy and the nature of the professional game.

"The coach has told me I won't be playing this year so we will just have to see what happens." Last year, Super League side Hull sought Witt out about a possible move to the Northern Hemisphere ahead of this season.

However, the talented half chose not to pursue talks because he felt his place in the first-grade side at the Warriors was secure.

"There wasn't a written offer or anything but the prospect of signing with Hull was certainly raised," he said.

"We sort of said no because I wanted to stay here and now I think things have changed with the Warriors a little bit.

"The club's pretty happy for me to look around.

"There's been some crazy going-ons. "I guess the timing of that offer was just a little bit out so it's a tough one for sure." Many fans will today be wondering what exactly Witt has done to get offside with club bosses.

And he is in the same boat.

"I have asked Ivan what I've done wrong," said Witt.

"He's been pretty straightforward and told me it's nothing personal but that the club is going in a different direction.

"Unfortunately, Michael Witt's not part of that direction." With the recruitment of halves Stacey Jones, Liam Foran, Aaron Heremaia and Joel Moon ahead of the season, Witt now appears to be last in line to pull on a first-grade jersey.

But Cleary says the former Sea Eagle still has a chance to play in 2009.

"Everyone's got a chance to play first-grade," said Cleary.

"Witty is probably the one guy who fits in a category where there's a lot of players lining up for his position.

"I made it clear to all the halves last year at the end of the season that in 2009 I want them to go to the next level.

"Whether that be having different personnel or more depth because more competition produces better performances we've obviously bought Stacey in because we are looking for a little something more and Joel Moon as well.

"We are looking to go to a new level and what that level is and who plays in what positions, that's up to the boys." Warriors director of football John Hart backed Cleary's stance that Witt still has a chance of playing first-grade this year.

"He's obviously in the back-up role at the moment and we are trying other options at No 6," Hart told Sunday News.

"That's not to say that he's not an option."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4863908a15599.html

Surely this article's been doctored.

Don't mind the bloke, though isn't doing enough at the moment. The Warriors want a no.6 that threatens the line IMO. Ability to turn 4 into 6 is invaluable, though with the amount of depth the Warriors have in the halves, he's going to have to show the club staff something different for him to stay I think.

That journo must be another Witt groupie. The Warriors management have done nothing wrong at all. They are just simply not quite happy with the way he`s performed during his time here. He`s ok, but we need a guy with a bit more desire and intensity.

In the past few years, we`ve been whinging about our halves, and Cleary and co have tried their best to sort that situation out. They`ve brought back Stacey, bought Moon who can attack the line, unlike Witty. They`ve sold Rovelli, they`ve moved Fien into the halfback position. The Warriors are not a charity organization, they`re a professional team. Witt has done a few memorable things for us, but he`ll be most remembered for his goal kicking (and his silly showmanship at that winning try against the Storm). But you can`t play a five-eighth for his goal-kicking. The Warriors are sticking to their contract, they will pay Witt his full salary even if he doesn`t play another minute in first grade. We have a bit of depth in the halves now, so someone must miss out. He needs to understand that and take it like an adult and either leave or try to do his best to get back into the side. No point whinging and whining, he`s been released by his previous clubs for good reason, he hasn`t delivered.

I feel pretty sorry for Witt to be honest. I think he's done a good job for the club and has been lumped into the same category as Rovelli by some people which he doesn't deserve. I felt he was one of our best players in the two wins we had in the finals last year. It was always going to be tough for him to book a spot with the new signings this year and with Kemp apparently a good goalkicker, but it seems a bit rough that he hasn't had a trials game.

It's up to him really now though, if he plays well for the Vulcans I'm sure he'll be considered again.

It will be hard for him though I think. The club has been struggling to find a stable halves combo, and if Moon looks decent, they`ll be reluctant to chop and change even if Witt shines for the Vulcans.

Scottey

Juniors
I feel pretty sorry for Witt to be honest. I think he's done a good job for the club and has been lumped into the same category as Rovelli by some people which he doesn't deserve. I felt he was one of our best players in the two wins we had in the finals last year. It was always going to be tough for him to book a spot with the new signings this year and with Kemp apparently a good goalkicker, but it seems a bit rough that he hasn't had a trials game.

It's up to him really now though, if he plays well for the Vulcans I'm sure he'll be considered again.

The problem being the 26 rounds before that.

I've always thought he was a down to earth good sort of bloke... had moments of genius... just not delivering enough consistently however.

boldy

Juniors
I do feel sorry for him, sounds like he has been jerked around a little by warriors management. However there is a reason why he has been through 4 clubs in 90 games. He is just not that good. Ample time to cement his spot last year (tainted by Rovelli I guess) and it hasn't happened.

wittyfan

Referee
I do feel sorry for him, sounds like he has been jerked around a little by warriors management. However there is a reason why he has been through 4 clubs in 90 games. He is just not that good. Ample time to cement his spot last year (tainted by Rovelli I guess) and it hasn't happened.

Three clubs in 90 games.

He was in good touch just before his injury last year, then was out for five weeks, then came back for one where he was rusty and then Cleary dropped him and gave into temptation and brought Rovelli back. Once he came back of course the team looked like a finals contender at last.

He did enough last year to at least be in some sort of serious consideration for 2009, as it is it's a slap in the face.

Also the fact that Moon and Kemp could only muster three goals from 7 between them on the weekend suggests problems in that area.

Micistm

Bench
Witt a star playmaker?
C'mon.

And while I do feel sorry for Witt, and feel he's been a bit shafted, the article is typical Sunday News stirring. 'Argueably the best try in Warriors history' is pushing it a bit. Certainly a fantastic try, and perfect time to get it with the playoff on the line, but Media loves to wax lyrical when a good stir is on the line:lol: