What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 2009 Ins and Outs

Patorick

Staff member
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5go-sGIisB_NYgu-bnfQfZygjunoQ

Hull KR prop Garret Crossman has cut short his stay in Super League to return to Australia's National Rugby League with South Sydney.

The 25-year-old former Penrith and Melbourne forward, who played in all but one of Rovers' 30 league and cup matches in 2008, has signed a two-year deal with Souths.

Crossman had a year left on his contract with Hull KR but they have signed a replacement in St Helens prop Nick Fozzard while young front rower Scott Wheeldon has joined them from Hull.

Evil Homer

Staff member
He was a bit of a disappointment for Rovers in all honesty. Apparently they tried to sell him, but no British clubs were interested including the two promoted teams. Surprised Souths have gone for him.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
He was a bit of a disappointment for Rovers in all honesty. Apparently they tried to sell him, but no British clubs were interested including the two promoted teams. Surprised Souths have gone for him.

A disappointment yet they still used him in 29 out of 30 matches.:?

Can someone tell me how Jason Cayless went this year, haven't seen alot of SuperLeague, before he left he was definately Kiwis no1 prop now he seems to have dissapeared totally from rep footy, is it cause he's playing bad footy?

Thanks Bartman, from what you saw do you think he still up to International level? Also what about Peleasina? Surprised not to see him make Samoa even, when he left for UK definately thought he was going to be a great.

bartman

Immortal
I've been back in Oz for the second half of the year, so don't take my word as gospel.

Jason Cayless is still rep standard if he can have a season with no injuries getting in the way. At St Helens he generally only has to play 40-50 mins in a four prop rotation, and he's in good company there (check out Graham and Fa'asavalu playing for England in the next month). If he rehabs right over the off-season, then since he's younger than Nathan he should have a few good NZ years left in him yet.

As for Feka, I think he's tied down with a community service order for a charge earlier in the year. So no rep footy in other countries this off-season. I'm not sure he's going to get much better than he is... good impact for a while but at test level you want something more than that, like some good fitness in case you're called upon to play 80. I get the feeling that J Cayless could play 80 if needed and fit, but never Palaesina even at his peak?

Thats why super league is the best, we have garbage like Korkidas and all the other NRL rejects running around in our comp. Most of the signings for 2009 are depressing, with one or two exceptions (Buderus,Ryles,Menzies) most are not good enough for the NRL.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Thats why super league is the best, we have garbage like Korkidas and all the other NRL rejects running around in our comp. Most of the signings for 2009 are depressing, with one or two exceptions (Buderus,Ryles,Menzies) most are not good enough for the NRL.
Disagree, there are only two or three imports who I would raise an eyebrow at, the rest are respected players who will add a lot to the league.

Garbage imports like Korkidas have just about been cut out, thankfully.

Disagree, there are only two or three imports who I would raise an eyebrow at, the rest are respected players who will add a lot to the league.

Garbage imports like Korkidas have just about been cut out, thankfully.
Maybe i have been too harsh on some of the imports, the reality is though that respected/decent/average NRL players only give a short term boost to super league. The way forward is for clubs to only sign the best imports (rep players) and give local young players a chance. With no relegation for the next 3 years there is no need to sign imports who are not the best.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Wakefield lose a forward, with Brett Ferres moving to Cas, but gain one in the form of James Stosic.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Harlequins sign Mat Gardner from Salford, another National League player moving to the capital.

Wakefield lose a forward, with Brett Ferres moving to Cas, but gain one in the form of James Stosic.
James Stosic, the sort of overseas player we should not be bringing to super league, 50 NRL games in 4 years, unless he is injury prone that suggests he just isnt good enough.

Latest posts