What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League 2023 discussion

Pneuma

First Grade
Round 1 attendance total 50000

Round 2 attendance total 60000

Round 3 attendance was just on 55000. Good numbers so far.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Tuned into a few games if SL and it seems like the quality is well up from other times I've watched, the games seem well attended and there's a little more balance with some bottom sides getting up.
Can't really imagine a better start to the SL season.

Gobsmacked

Bench
A really cool thing I noticed they do in the SL coverage is when they have a player on screen with their stat's, they have the countrie that they've represented flag in the bottom corner the display thier international credentials and they mention it in the commentary.
Put a nice shine on things, a bit of prestige 👌
Fox sports should do the same.

St Helen’s lost by a field goal to Leeds. Must have been monumental!
Close games in English RL are rarely deemed "monumental". Only guarantee is acrimony.

No bright lights of Super League for me. I'm off to Swinton v York later. Might struggle to stay awake. Got up early to watch the Dolphins. Well worth it so far.

Crowd watch - we had 1139 against Barrow a fortnight ago. Not bad considering we lost our ground 30 years ago. There were about 1200 at my first game in 1980. Plenty of trials and tribulations in the interim.

Last edited by a moderator:

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Fixtures and results so far

Round 1
Warrington Wolves (42) v Leeds Rhinos (10)
Fri 17 Feb 7:00AM at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington (Crowd: 11082)
Wakefield Trinity (24) v Catalans Dragons (38)
Sat 18 Feb 6:30AM at Be Well Support Stadium, Wakefield (Crowd: 4076)
Leigh Leopards (10) v Salford Red Devils (20)
Sat 18 Feb 7:00AM at Leigh Sports Village Stadium, Leigh (Crowd: 8589)
Hull KR (27) v Wigan Warriors (18)
Sun 19 Feb 12:00AM at Sewell Group Craven Park, Hull (Crowd: 10029)
Hull FC (32) v Castleford Tigers (30)
Mon 20 Feb 2:00AM at MKM Stadium, Hull (Crowd: 15383)
St Helens v Huddersfield Giants
Sat 30 Sep 11:00PM at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Round 2
Salford Red Devils (10) v Hull KR (24)
Fri 24 Feb 7:00AM at Salford Stadium, Barton-upon-Irwell (Crowd: 5565)
Huddersfield Giants (16) v Warrington Wolves (26)
Sat 25 Feb 6:45AM at John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield (Crowd: 7741)
Leeds Rhinos (18) v Hull FC (22)
Sat 25 Feb 7:00AM at Headingley Stadium, Leeds (Crowd: 16140)
Wigan Warriors (60) v Wakefield Trinity (0)
Sat 25 Feb 7:00AM at DW Stadium, Wigan (Crowd: 12306)
Catalans Dragons (14) v Leigh Leopards (6)
Sun 26 Feb 4:00AM at Stade Gilbert Brutus, Perpignan (Crowd: 7862)
Castleford Tigers (6) v St Helens (24)
Mon 27 Feb 12:00AM at Mend-A-Hose Jungle, Castleford (Crowd: 10042)

Round 3
Warrington Wolves (36) v Salford Red Devils (20)
Fri 3 Mar 7:00AM at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington (Crowd: 9616)
Catalans Dragons (38) v Hull FC (6)
Sat 4 Mar 5:00AM at Stade Gilbert Brutus, Perpignan (Crowd: 6933)
Wakefield Trinity (0) v Huddersfield Giants (8)
Sat 4 Mar 6:45AM at Be Well Support Stadium, Wakefield (Crowd: 4155)
Castleford Tigers (0) v Wigan Warriors (36)
Sat 4 Mar 7:00AM at Mend-A-Hose Jungle, Castleford (Crowd: 7565)
Hull KR (25) v Leigh Leopards (30)
Sat 4 Mar 7:00AM at Sewell Group Craven Park, Hull (Crowd: 8448)
St Helens (24) v Leeds Rhinos (25)
Sat 4 Mar 7:00AM at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens (Crowd: 15148)

Table after Round 3:

TeamPWLDFA+/-Pts
1. Warrington Wolves330010446586
2. Catalans Dragons33009036546
3. Wigan Warriors321011427874
4. Hull KR32107658184
5. Hull FC32106086-264
6. St Helens*21104831172
7. Huddersfield Giants*21102426-22
8. Leigh Leopards31204659-132
9. Salford Red Devils31205070-202
10. Leeds Rhinos31205388-352
11. Castleford Tigers30303692-560
12. Wakefield Trinity303024106-820
* = game in hand

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very pleased with our two opening crowds at HKR. Blew it against the Bet Lynch mob but hopefully back to winning ways this round and a decent crowd against the Wolves. We moved nearly all games to Friday nights and there was a bit of murmuring about no more traditional Sunday afternoons from the fans but so far looks like it was a good move.

Blew it against the Bet Lynch mob
I'm not a Leigh fan but that game, the Dolphins, and fun with Pneuma made my weekend.

Strictures notwithstanding, there is as good a case for Leigh in SL as Castleford. Similar sized populations, dyed in the wool RL towns, Leigh have Wigan just up the road Cas have Wakefield just up the road.

The advantage for Leigh ought to be my hometown of Bolton. Unfortunately it's a RL desert. You can go in 3 directions from the centre and encounter nothing. Only when you head out Westhoughton way do you start to see signs in the form of Leigh and Wigan merch.

Perfectly illustrates the historic failure to join the dots and better fill the gaps in between.

Pneuma

First Grade
I'm not a Leigh fan but that game, the Dolphins, and fun with Pneuma made my weekend.

Strictures notwithstanding, there is as good a case for Leigh in SL as Castleford. Similar sized populations, dyed in the wool RL towns, Leigh have Wigan just up the road Cas have Wakefield just up the road.

The advantage for Leigh ought to be my hometown of Bolton. Unfortunately it's a RL desert. You can go in 3 directions from the centre and encounter nothing. Only when you head out Westhoughton way do you start to see signs in the form of Leigh and Wigan merch.

Perfectly illustrates the historic failure to join the dots and better fill the gaps in between.
I’m glad i contributed to your great weekend. A momentary verbal tussle over nothing in particular is about all I’m good for these days! Hahaha!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Signs are not looking good for Wakey. Leigh look better than expected amd Wakey performing how many thought they would.

Be incredibly ironic if after years of promising stadium upgrades they get relegate the year the finally improve the ground!

A really cool thing I noticed they do in the SL coverage is when they have a player on screen with their stat's, they have the countrie that they've represented flag in the bottom corner the display thier international credentials and they mention it in the commentary.
Put a nice shine on things, a bit of prestige
Good point.

There are many and varied routes to fandom other than the game itself. Some people may be lured in by a team branding, others may take a shine to a particular player. Personal rep details can be a point of connection.

Think it's generally accepted that Hazem El Masri helped cement NRL popularity among Lebanese Aussies. I've got an eye on Gordon Chan Kum Tong at Manly. If he gets established in first-grade, could hook in another demographic.

Relevance to attire rather than location!
Care to elaborate?

For anyone with a similarly wonky grasp of GM, Coronation Street is set in Salford. Hence a mention for "Bet Lynch" would have been more apposite after round 2 of SL.

I haven't watched it for about 40 years, but apparently a Swinton fixture card was in the background on the wall of the Rovers Return a few years back.

I'll send you a Curly Wurly if you can come up with a good cryptic crossword clue weaving in the name of a fictional pub in a long-running British TV soap with the promotion to SL of an East Hull RL club.

Signs are not looking good for Wakey. Leigh look better than expected amd Wakey performing how many thought they would.

Be incredibly ironic if after years of promising stadium upgrades they get relegate the year the finally improve the ground!
The stadium upgrade is more important. Without it, Wakefield are going nowhere fast whichever division they play in. Belle Vue is an absolute embarrassment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
E
Care to elaborate?

For anyone with a similarly wonky grasp of GM, Coronation Street is set in Salford. Hence a mention for "Bet Lynch" would have been more apposite after round 2 of SL.

I haven't watched it for about 40 years, but apparently a Swinton fixture card was in the background on the wall of the Rovers Return a few years back.

I'll send you a Curly Wurly if you can come up with a good cryptic crossword clue weaving in the name of a fictional pub in a long-running British TV soap with the promotion to SL of an East Hull RL club.
D0190D09-B888-488F-ABB2-5243C57169CB.jpegh? Leigh clearly modelled their rebrand on the famous bar host lol

Leigh clearly modelled their rebrand on the famous bar host lol
Gor blimey. Bit flimsy. They've only had a brassy image 5 minutes.

Might not last. Remember Hull Sharks and Halifax Blue Sox?

The Leigh pro club have adopted Leigh Miners women's team who are in group 2 of WSL. Save your barmaid gags for 23rd April -

Opening round of Women's Challenge Cup Hull KR v Leigh Miners, Craven Park.

Latest posts