What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League GF - 1997

Imagine how much better that side would have been if we hadnt lost our best prop .Suppose he was permanently retired soon after.I m just happy I got to see him play against broncs the previous year.

SadShark

Bench
Were we ever a chance in that game?
Never ever. We flogged them at our home ground & they flogged us when they were at their home ground.
Grand Final played at their home ground.
Richie Barnett was injured - don’t think he even played in the GF. He was having a good season up until then.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Can't remember too much about the game itself but what I will always remember was this. We were sitting high up in the scaffolding terrace seating at the south western corner of the ground. Twas back in my drinking days and my old Parky Publican had scored us free tickets and also free tickets to the XXXX pissup area just down and around from our seats. I was with the dear wife, my young son who was 16 at the time and a couple of his mates. I spent the entire lower grade games resting up against a barrel table at the free piss area. From my vantage point there I couldn't see a bloody thing happening on the field but I got to witness a farh-can ferocious electrical storm was heading right for us. You could see the lighting striking the ground miles away.

I went into survival mode and found a pie van kiosk type thingy and asked the bloke if I could borrow three of his pie tray boxes, those long narrow ones, that was neatly stacked on the ground beside his van setup

There was no protection from the weather where we were seated. None what so ever. Should of seen the look on the wifes face as I am climbing up the steps with three empty pie trays. But Jim Bowie Quigs instructed his missus, the boys and myself to seek shelter under the pie trays as soon as the rains came pissing down. That is all we had. A lot of people around us didn't see or have a clue that the storm was about to hit.

Luckily I was on the free piss and saw it. But I reckoned the heavy rain tasted better than the 4X that day. Was a VB man meself.

MilkShark

First Grade
Can't remember too much about the game itself but what I will always remember was this. We were sitting high up in the scaffolding terrace seating at the south western corner of the ground. Twas back in my drinking days and my old Parky Publican had scored us free tickets and also free tickets to the XXXX pissup area just down and around from our seats. I was with the dear wife, my young son who was 16 at the time and a couple of his mates. I spent the entire lower grade games resting up against a barrel table at the free piss area. From my vantage point there I couldn't see a bloody thing happening on the field but I got to witness a farh-can ferocious electrical storm was heading right for us. You could see the lighting striking the ground miles away.

I went into survival mode and found a pie van kiosk type thingy and asked the bloke if I could borrow three of his pie tray boxes, those long narrow ones, that was neatly stacked on the ground beside his van setup

There was no protection from the weather where we were seated. None what so ever. Should of seen the look on the wifes face as I am climbing up the steps with three empty pie trays. But Jim Bowie Quigs instructed his missus, the boys and myself to seek shelter under the pie trays as soon as the rains came pissing down. That is all we had. A lot of people around us didn't see or have a clue that the storm was about to hit.

Luckily I was on the free piss and saw it. But I reckoned the heavy rain tasted better than the 4X that day. Was a VB man meself.
Hahahahaha epic story mate

carcharias

Immortal
I watched it from the leagues club.
Stood on a table and led the sharkie sharkie sharkie oi oi oi chant.
Only problem was I’d drunk too much and managed to f**k it up.
I think I went 1 verse too long and lost my backup singers mid chant.

story of the night really.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Was at a gig out in the sticks in the Sunshine Coast hinterland on the back of a flat bed truck , was listening between sets on the radio. A fight broke out later between 2 blokes and was VERY one sided.. I felt for the bloke copping a hammering but also could relate to it in a strange way.

Didn't really feel that bad, it will be a lot like if we make this years GF I reckon. The ARL GF was epic compared to stupid SL Qld wankfest.

carcharias

Immortal
Was at a gig out in the sticks in the Sunshine Coast hinterland on the back of a flat bed truck , was listening between sets on the radio. A fight broke out later between 2 blokes and was VERY one sided.. I felt for the bloke copping a hammering but also could relate to it in a strange way.

Didn't really feel that bad, it will be a lot like if we make this years GF I reckon. The ARL GF was epic compared to stupid SL Qld wankfest.
Darren Albert try was that year Ey?
That was awesome.

I reckon the SL state of origin final was epic.
Noel goldthorpe kicked a extra time field goal.

Quigs

Immortal
We should of made a play for that Darren Albert bloke. Sheeze he could motor.

Hang on.......... ummm yeah. ........... We did .......... Cronullafied us for sure.

Remember watching him in a game at sharkpark. The blonde bombshell sprints into the open inside our own half. Nothing but daylight and an injured opposition player in his path. The injured player was laying on the deck getting treatment on his own quarter line.

Yep you could back it in. Wide open spaces - all the field to work with - the fastest man in RL is in the open and wearing the sky blue black and white - and what happens.

Darren runs straight towards the injured bloke. He staggers to his feet and tackles the flying Dazz. The fastest man in the League.

Still laugh about it.

carcharias

Immortal
We should of made a play for that Darren Albert bloke. Sheeze he could motor.

Hang on.......... ummm yeah. ........... We did .......... Cronullafied us for sure.

Remember watching him in a game at sharkpark. The blonde bombshell sprints into the open inside our own half. Nothing but daylight and an injured opposition player in his path. The injured player was laying on the deck getting treatment on his own quarter line.

Yep you could back it in. Wide open spaces - all the field to work with - the fastest man in RL is in the open and wearing the sky blue black and white - and what happens.

Darren runs straight towards the injured bloke. He staggers to his feet and tackles the flying Dazz. The fastest man in the League.

Still laugh about it.

I remember one against Penrith at Shark park where he got caught by whoever that fullback was.... he was in the clear.
Then he got a second chance and beat him to score.

wesser I think the dudes name was.

I went up to BrisVegas with some mates for the game.
Did a mini bus trip up from Sydaney.
Epic trip.
You're right Quigs I remember the freakin storm. I remember getting absolutely drenched and it was actually a bit cold after that so I distinctly recall a jet doing a flyover and putting on the afterburners and you actually felt the warmth from the fecker.
As for the game, remember 3 things,
1. We were never going to be allowed to win
2. We got a fisting
3. Rusty Richardson was shit

I also for a while thought that 97 was going to be the only GF I'd ever witness with the Sharks.
Thank god 19 years later I was proven wrong

Latest posts