What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League GF - 1997

shadowboxer

First Grade
I only remember going to the leagues club, getting blind with a group of mates and having my back to the game - every time I turned round thing last got worse and worse - hangover like all hangovers from the footy wasn’t good - took me a long time to work out VB is the devils drop

carcharias

Immortal
I only remember going to the leagues club, getting blind with a group of mates and having my back to the game - every time I turned round thing last got worse and worse - hangover like all hangovers from the footy wasn’t good - took me a long time to work out VB is the devils drop
Remember seeing the news the next day and there was footage of a dude passed out on the grass out the front still in his footy jumper.
It looked so depressing.

didn’t someone graffiti the wall out the front ?
“f**k the Sharks”

shadowboxer

First Grade
Remember seeing the news the next day and there was footage of a dude passed out on the grass out the front still in his footy jumper.
It looked so depressing.

didn’t someone graffiti the wall out the front ?
“f**k the Sharks”
I think the graffiti was post 1999 semi v the drags - applauded to who ever did it. Another false dawn but from such a bloody great period for the sharks

Quigs

Immortal
I remember one against Penrith at Shark park where he got caught by whoever that fullback was.... he was in the clear.
Then he got a second chance and beat him to score.

wesser I think the dudes name was.

Rhys Wesser ran around with the Mighty Emu Park Emus last year. Don't know if he is backing up again this year.

Quigs

Immortal
I'll tell youse all something. I LOVED THE SUPER LEAGUE AND THE WAR IT CREATED.

If it wasn't for fharcan Murdochs SuperLeague up against fharcan Packers NRL then there would be no Shark Side running around today.

Call it what you like, rats desserting a sinking ship or money grabbers, if we didn't jump over to the SL Darkside as quick as we did then we were going to be pushed overboard by the ARL ( or was it NRL back then). We were sitting in death row and those in the head office were not going to show any leniency.

Our survival depended on it - isn't that right Stain George Illawarra, Manly Warringah Bears and West Tigers.

I love it. They can't kill us as munch as they try.

Stake Removed

First Grade

If it wasn't for fharcan Murdochs SuperLeague up against fharcan Packers NRL then there would be no Shark Side running around today.

Call it what you like, rats desserting a sinking ship or money grabbers, if we didn't jump over to the SL Darkside as quick as we did then we were going to be pushed overboard by the ARL ( or was it NRL back then). We were sitting in death row and those in the head office were not going to show any leniency.

Our survival depended on it - isn't that right Stain George Illawarra, Manly Warringah Bears and West Tigers.

Totally agree Quigs, the ARL would have put us to the sword, even if we would have survived 1997, when game merged back it wouldnt have been Souths booted but us

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yes that’s right.
Darkest sharks day ever I reckon.
Horrendous.

Cunove a day

Probably told this before.

Went to game with 3 Dragons fans. One was my at the time missus.

Got in a fight on the way out of the ground. Back to Sharks Leagues, got in another fight with the same merkin. Copped a 12 month ban from the club and had to go get stitched.

Lost the game, lost both fights.

Cunova game, cunova year

MilkShark

First Grade
Darren Albert try was that year Ey?
That was awesome.

I reckon the SL state of origin final was epic.
Noel goldthorpe kicked a extra time field goal.
That Albert try and the entire game was was the most memorable moment and game of footy ever for me, apart from 2016 of course.

MilkShark

First Grade

I read somewhere we basically had to beg to be a part of SL.

Is that right?

carcharias

Immortal
Scomo thought it was a shit game especially at Maccas afterwards.
I call bullshit
It makes no sense.
Why would he be in Engadine after the SL GF?
Didn’t live there ...97 it was virtually the end of the earth.
You have to drive past it to get to it from the highway.
Funny story but I doubt it’s true.
They should’ve said Sylvania Macca’s
That is believable....and he would’ve driven past it had he been heading south.

Quigs

Immortal
I read somewhere we basically had to beg to be a part of SL.

Is that right?

If my old memory serves me correct we (the Sharks) were one of the first to sign up along with Canterbury I think.

I know there was a big shitfight when it was announced. The old guard went into a rabid frenzy (no not the old coote Frenzy, the mood swing Frenzy) ... and was calling for our blood. Drawn and quartered, heads on maypoles etc. It was fun times.

Isn't that right Stain George Illawarra, Manly Warringah Bears and the West Tigers.

If my old memory serves me correct we (the Sharks) were one of the first to sign up along with Canterbury I think.

I know there was a big shitfight when it was announced. The old guard went into a rabid frenzy (no not the old coote Frenzy, the mood swing Frenzy) ... and was calling for our blood. Drawn and quartered, heads on maypoles etc. It was fun times.

Isn't that right Stain George Illawarra, Manly Warringah Bears and the West Tigers.
We were not high on their priority list, but we untied our drawstring very easily

Latest posts