What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League GF. Sky Sports coverage

Copa said:
I've been to 3 live games in the UK... the quality wasn't as high as the NRL for one of them... but the atmosphere actually made it more fun to attend than an nrl game

A 10,000 (and rising) SL crowd has more atmosphere and excitement than a 30000 NRL crowd. It's amazing over there to actually see it.

Despite what many soccer fans say 16,000 is actually a higher crowd average than many european national soccer leagues (except the biggies of course)

good call.

Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
and only ukraine, turkey and russia of the above mentioned in europe have a larger population and brazil is a third world nation struck with poverty and all their best talent is drained into europe - would the NRL sustain 16,000 crowd average if ALL the best talent in the NRL was swept away to the ESL? - and only portugal and belgium crack 10 million people which is half of this country some of them have the same population as sydney does. oh and none of those leagues are considered anywhere near the top tier of european football which is an excuse that used to get thrown alot around this country

let's not forget that football league's have promotion/relegation and some leagues go down 4/5 deep so obviously there is a sh*t load more teams. the NRL wouldn't sustain a 16k average if it had 40/50 teams in the country

72 nrl players in SL is hardly a small no

Big-Hitter said:
Speaking as a Pom who watches an equal amount of NRL/ESL on Setanta/Sky Sports (on average about two games from each comp per week), I reckon there are pros and cons on both sides.

* Eddie & Stevo's commentary can be very irritating and consist largely of catchphrases ("surely it's time for the one pointer!" "It's T-R-Y time!" etc). Personally, I think they dumb the game down and insult the intelligence of some of the audience (although to be fair, a bit chunk of their audience are new to the sport and actually enjoy the histrionics).

* IMO the NRL coverage is far superior and much more analytical. Sterling and Gus give a great insight into the tactics etc and don't patronise the audience and I actually like some of what Johns does. However, wtf have they got Ikin on for? The bloke is terrible. Surely they could find someone more interesting?

* Technically, I'd say Sky's coverage is better but I think the quality of analysis swings things in the NRL's favour overall.

As for the standard of the comps, I'd say that the NRL is stronger on a more consistent basis (although I have seen a few poor matches this year and there are certain teams I now tend to avoid watching) but still Super League throws up some absolute classics (particularly during this year's play-offs).

However, when the best teams come head to head (Storm, Cowboys, Eels, Warriors etc) I'd have to say that the NRL swings it, purely because you have a greater depth of genuine world class players (Slater, Folau, Inglis, Bowen, Thurston, Tahu, Hayne, Mckinnon*, Price..... the list goes on).

Anyway, that's my two-bobs worth.

* By the way, really rate McKinnon from what I've seen of him towards the back end of this season and reckon he'd be a shoo-in for the GB Test side if he was British.

agree with all of that

eels_fan_01 said:
Some people argue AFL is number one here. 10 thousand averages is nothing to celebrate.
meant if soccer was number 1 sport in australia like it is in england, what would our sport look like.

soccer is massive in england but then behind that RL stands up quite well.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
eels fan 01, it was my mistake... that was the 3rd game of St. Helen's season. I was wrong, but you also claimed that it was the Bronco's first hit up of 2007. Also wrong. So remove your sig.

FTR - Brisbane Broncos V Celtic Crusaders - Feb 15th

nqboy

First Grade
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
and only ukraine, turkey and russia of the above mentioned in europe have a larger population and brazil is a third world nation struck with poverty and all their best talent is drained into europe - would the NRL sustain 16,000 crowd average if ALL the best talent in the NRL was swept away to the ESL? - and only portugal and belgium crack 10 million people which is half of this country some of them have the same population as sydney does. oh and none of those leagues are considered anywhere near the top tier of european football which is an excuse that used to get thrown alot around this country

let's not forget that football league's have promotion/relegation and some leagues go down 4/5 deep so obviously there is a sh*t load more teams. the NRL wouldn't sustain a 16k average if it had 40/50 teams in the country
I don't know how this translates to the European soccer leagues but half the population in Australia is not interested in RL so we are operating off about 10 million. Also, on the assumption you're talking about soccer with promotion and relegation, you need to add in the crowds in Qld Cup, PL and maybe Jim Beam Cup as well as the Qld and NSW Country comps. We are a lot more decentralised than Britain so a lot of these people don't have the opportunity to watch the top flight on a regular basis. Britain also has 60M, all interested in soccer.

Not trying to say any of that is conclusive, just adding a few factors worth considering IMO.

roughyedspud

Coach
An average of 10,000 isnt that great. NRL averages 16 thousand and everyone thinks that is pretty low here.

out of interest does anyone know what the NRL average if you take out the brisbane crowd?

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
eels fan 01, it was my mistake... that was the 3rd game of St. Helen's season. I was wrong, but you also claimed that it was the Bronco's first hit up of 2007. Also wrong. So remove your sig.

FTR - Brisbane Broncos V Celtic Crusaders - Feb 15th

Oh my mistake that they played a TRIAL game agaisnt the celtric crusaders whoever the f**k they are. What a great hit out.

nqboy

First Grade
eels_fan_01 said:
Oh my mistake that they played a TRIAL game agaisnt the celtric crusaders whoever the f**k they are. What a great hit out.
That was a warm-up game arranged against an amateur Welsh(?) side, just so they had a hitout before the WCC. Yeah, let's count that :roll:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The GF Sky coverage was the best I have seen for any RL game anywhere in the world. It just gets better and better every year.

Big plusses for Sky's SL coverage:
The camera angles - They alternate between wide shots and close ups. This gives you a feel for what the defensive line is doing, how the attack is forming etc. NRL spends far too much on the close up and fails to give you an overall sense of what is happening away from the play of the ball.

Atmosphere - They put mics on the crowd and less on the ref so you don't have to heaer the ref coaching the players every tackle and get to hear the brilliant English atmospheres. (as for size of crowd, I've heard 6,000 in UK make more noise than 25,000 at Telstra)

Innovation - Sky has a very innovative graphics dept and they have some excellent graphics and ways of presenting stats etc.NRL is the same old same old year after year.

Bad Points -
Commentary - is shocking and lacks any real analysis (Phil Clarke aside). Ch9 and Fox is far far better.

Only show 2 games plus NL game

eels_fan_01

Bench
nqboy said:
That was a warm-up game arranged against an amateur Welsh(?) side, just so they had a hitout before the WCC. Yeah, let's count that :roll:

Yes they should count it as we all know an amateur Welsh side has the same ability as an NRL side.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Semi-pro, and yes Welsh... this team is likely to be in the Superleague in 2009. Thats not the point anyway, eelsfan adamantly claimed it was the Bronco's first game, when it wasn't. Besides, thats entirely the fault of the Australian clubs for not taking the WCC seriously enough, and they lose... so when this occurs you lot come up with whatever excuse possible.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Semi-pro, and yes Welsh... this team is likely to be in the Superleague in 2009. Thats not the point anyway, eelsfan adamantly claimed it was the Bronco's first game, when it wasn't. Besides, thats entirely the fault of the Australian clubs for not taking the WCC seriously enough, and they lose... so when this occurs you lot come up with whatever excuse possible.

Nice sig :lol: How childish just because i made one your gonna have a cry because you were wrong. I knew they had played some 2nd rate side but it was still OUR OFF SEASON. Had the NRL started you f**kwitt no then its the off season you c**k sucker. Dont get like a baby just because you were wrong. You watch 2 games a week of Superleague and claim your an expert yet i knew the team St Helens had played and when they have played it.

Take it seriously, if they want the NRL sides to take it seriously dont play it in OUR f**kING OFF SEASON. Go suck Eddie and Stevo off you idiot.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
Nice sig :lol: How childish just because i made one your gonna have a cry because you were wrong. I knew they had played some 2nd rate side but it was still OUR OFF SEASON. Had the NRL started you f**kwitt no then its the off season you c**k sucker. Dont get like a baby just because you were wrong. You watch 2 games a week of Superleague and claim your an expert yet i knew the team St Helens had played and when they have played it.

Take it seriously, if they want the NRL sides to take it seriously dont play it in OUR f**kING OFF SEASON. Go suck Eddie and Stevo off you idiot.

Oh god this is hilarious, you come out with the 'you're being childish' claims, yet the next sentence is " Had the NRL started you f**kwitt no then its the off season you c**k sucker" :roll:. Yeah mate, you know plenty about the game outside Australia... the Broncos played... 'Celtric' was it? :lol:

I admitted i was wrong, and showed you were as well. Yet, you continue to be in denial and started to sling sh*t, meh.

Take it seriously, if they want the NRL sides to take it seriously dont play it in OUR f**kING OFF SEASON. Go suck Eddie and Stevo off you idiot

Then when do you suggest you play it? The offseason is the ONLY time any NRL club will agree to. Oh, btw before i forget... <insert homosexual insult here>. :roll:

One last thing, wtf do you mean by this?

You watch 2 games a week of Superleague and claim your an expert yet i knew the team St Helens had played and when they have played it.

The maximum you can watch is 2 games as well, so I'm as much of an expert as any Australian on these boards, and moreso than you by your sheer lack of intelligence. What the f**k are you on about with St. Helens?

dimitri

First Grade
The Ch 9 coverage of the test was shocking

why were matt johns, ken sutcliffe and ben ikin sitting in a dark room?

I thought there was going to be a half time p0rn0

eels_fan_01

Bench
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
Oh god this is hilarious, you come out with the 'you're being childish' claims, yet the next sentence is " Had the NRL started you f**kwitt no then its the off season you c**k sucker" :roll:. Yeah mate, you know plenty about the game outside Australia... the Broncos played... 'Celtric' was it? :lol:

I admitted i was wrong, and showed you were as well. Yet, you continue to be in denial and started to sling sh*t, meh.

Then when do you suggest you play it? The offseason is the ONLY time any NRL club will agree to. Oh, btw before i forget... <insert homosexual insult here>. :roll:

One last thing, wtf do you mean by this?

The maximum you can watch is 2 games as well, so I'm as much of an expert as any Australian on these boards, and moreso than you by your sheer lack of intelligence. What the f**k are you on about with St. Helens?

My sheer lack on intelligence. Tell me again how St Helens were in their off-season mate?

Why the hell would i care about the Celtic Crusaders, are you one of these people who looks up Russian rugby league results just so you can feel like your helping the game develop well your having yourself on.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
eels_fan_01 said:
My sheer lack on intelligence. Tell me again how St Helens were in their off-season mate?

Why the hell would i care about the Celtic Crusaders, are you one of these people who looks up Russian rugby league results just so you can feel like your helping the game develop well your having yourself on.

Once again, i was wrong about ONE thing, keep bringing that back up coz you have nowhere else to go :roll:

wtf does "sheer lack ON intelligence" mean?

At the very least, someone who professes the wealth of international RL knowledge that you do, should have an idea about a potential ESL franchise. I read up on many things in the International section because it interests me, how the f**k would that make me feel like im helping the game develop?

nqboy said:

semi pro.

spend about 200,000 pounds on wages i think.

got josh hannay, just got promoted to NL1 and will probably get a franchise for SL in 2009

eels_fan_01 said:

brisbane asked for the game to be plyaed at the time, instead of the normal time before both season have started ie the WCC is normally held before both seasons have started but brisbane wanted it moved forward and the RFL agreed.

sorry but your wrong