What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthread LXXIII: Honouring He Who Shall Not Be Named

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Joey took some drugs. The only thing wrong wih that is the stupid law against it. JT was allegedly involved in an activity that was genuinely despicable. Not holding my breath for all the Queenslanders who dumped on Joey as a shit role model to do the same to JT.

Not sure why people bother with comparisons of the two as players. They are both out and out champions. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just letting their bias do the talking.

Last edited by a moderator:

thorson1987

Coach
The fapathon does get tiring. I hope if he finally gets a premiership with the Cows it eases off a bit next year. I mainly want the win for Coote & Cooper. So good to finally see Coote have an injury free run & be playing so well. Cooper is just a great player, I am still sad we didn't keep him.

Coote has had a great year.

Would ho close to fullback of the year too imo.

Bazal

Post Whore
Joey was savagely overrated IMO. Which isn't to say he wasn't a very good player by any means, but the way people talk about him as some kind of rugby league god is way over the top. I rate Thurston better, and I rate several halfbacks before Joeys time better. Plus Joey is a total merkin.

Meanwhile, in addition to the Cows beating the Cheats, Wales beat the Poms in the World Cup. What a night for the good guys!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
How is JT a nice enough bloke, but Joey is a shit human?! Either you don't know much about JT off the field, or you have a biased view of Joey!

**edit - substantiate it**

Joey snorted some lines. The only thing wrong wih that is the stupid law against it. JT was allegedly involved in an activity that was genuinely despicable. Not holding my breath for all the Queenslanders who dumped on Joey as a shit role model to do the same to JT.

Not sure why people bother with comparisons of the two as players. They are both out and out champions. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just letting their bias do the talking.

JT's behaviour in Coff's was reprehensible. He seems to have changed that a little since. Joey hasn't changed at all, I think.

Coote has had a great year.

Would ho close to fullback of the year too imo.

Coote, Morgan, Scott, Lowe, Cooper, Taumololo and Tamau have all had watershed years. Chambers, Winterstein have been awesome too.

Joey was savagely overrated IMO. Which isn't to say he wasn't a very good player by any means, but the way people talk about him as some kind of rugby league god is way over the top. I rate Thurston better, and I rate several halfbacks before Joeys time better. Plus Joey is a total merkin.

Meanwhile, in addition to the Cows beating the Cheats, Wales beat the Poms in the World Cup. What a night for the good guys!

Sort of my thinking on it. Joey was amazing, and on his day won games with ease. But Thurston seems more complete somehow. Just my opinion.

In saying that, Lockyer is still my favourite player I've watched. His last two or three years saw him fade, but 2001-2007 were one long purple patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Mind you, Alba - Joey has significant issues health wise with his bi polar. I fully recognise my comments are, in majority, due to that.

adamkungl

Immortal

While I disagree that Joey is overrated, I do feel there is a current trend to label the current best half 'best ever' or 'immortal', due to the sensational nature of today's media.

I find it hard to believe that in 100 years there have been no halves of comparable dominance.

Misanthrope

Staff member
They're always halves too.

I get that they're incredibly influential, but when will we have a 'best ever' label being tossed at a winger, hooker, or prop?

Hayne and Smith came closest, I guess.

whall15

Coach

I get that they're incredibly influential, but when will we have a 'best ever' label being tossed at a winger, hooker, or prop?

Hayne was never called the best ever when he played on the wing.

Its the same in every sport though, in soccer the best ever label is always given to an attacking midfielder cum forward never anywhere else: Pele; Maradona; and Messi.

Bazal

Post Whore

Radradra had a few articles calling him the mist valuable player in the NRL earlier in the season but that's about the extent of the hype for a winger.

Look I'll never call Joey a bad player, but I also don't think he's a better player than Stuart or Sterling for example. I think halves are very subjective as well....Joey was incredibly influential at all levels of the game, but I find Thurston plays the game in a way that I personally prefer as much as anything.

Red Bear

Referee
I'm just over the media fap fest over him.

Taumalolo or morgan will hve blinders and thurston be poor, yet its all thurston who won the game for them and gets motm.

But beside that, seems like a top bloke, a great player and deserves a premiership.
He was awesome again last night.

I don't know how you can say Thurston is more complete when he's a mediocre defender whilst Johns was a brilliant defender, to go with being a great organiser, great kicking game.

Of players I've seen Thurston would be right up there but not ahead of Johns (or Freddy for that matter).

As for off the field. I've heard similar stories re Johns, and obviously there are some question marks over Thurstons past. With sport (just like music, in some cases), you can't really let that come into judging them as players. They might be despicable people but you can only judge on their on field play, and on the field they're both absolute class.

thorson1987

Coach
He was awesome again last night.

I don't know how you can say Thurston is more complete when he's a mediocre defender whilst Johns was a brilliant defender, to go with being a great organiser, great kicking game.

Of players I've seen Thurston would be right up there but not ahead of Johns (or Freddy for that matter).

As for off the field. I've heard similar stories re Johns, and obviously there are some question marks over Thurstons past. With sport (just like music, in some cases), you can't really let that come into judging them as players. They might be despicable people but you can only judge on their on field play, and on the field they're both absolute class.

JTs defence has gotten a bit better this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.