What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supreme Court grants Bulldogs summons power

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Reported on 2GB - the Bulldogs have won the right to serve SBW with papers regardless of whether they can find him. He or a representative of his must front up this Friday.

hitman82

Bench
Haha, excellent news! A "representative" eh... maybe they could borrow a viper from the zoo.

Shorty

Staff member
Good stuff.
What happens if a he or a rep does not front by Friday?

what does it mean - can they make him play league again?? - obviously he doesn;t want too but will they make him sit out the rest of this year and 4 more years??

lockyno1

Post Whore
I honestly recon the Dogs are best at trying to get compensation. 3 years at 500K= 1.5 million. That is a fair deal for both parties.

Mr Opinionated

Juniors
I honestly recon the Dogs are best at trying to get compensation. 3 years at 500K= 1.5 million. That is a fair deal for both parties.

No. They, and the NRL, should sue for more than that so to dissuade any other players from walking out on a contract before it expires

El Diablo

Post Whore

and what about compensation for possible loss of sponsors?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24128605-2722,00.html

Bulldogs battling to retain sponsors

Stuart Honeysett | August 05, 2008

SONNY Bill Williams' walkout from the Bulldogs could have further ramifications as the club is facing a $2 million sponsorship shortfall next season.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg confirmed the club was yet to retain any of its apparel sponsors for 2009 as Williams signed with French rugby union club, Toulon today.

The major sponsor since 2003 has been electronics giant Mitsubishi Electric, which pays $1m a season into the club's coffers.

Other sponsors yet to commit past this season include Maxim Home Loans ($400,000, back of jumper), Sagem Mobile Phone ($300,000, shorts) and Bankstown Sports ($300,000, sleeve).

"A lot of our major sponsors' contracts are up at the end of '08 so we're in the process of talking to all those people," Greenberg said yesterday.

"The timing of Sonny's walkout isn't ideal and it's certainly not making things any easier."

Williams could play with a Toulon in a pre-season friendly on Friday.

Greenberg expressed disappointment at the latest developments, reminding Williams that he was still obligated to the Bulldogs.

"I'm obviously disappointed to learn of this through the media reports," Greenberg said.

"It's not a setback. He's over there and getting ready so it's obviously all part of the plan.

"There's no doubt in my view he's still one year into a five-year deal and I think that needs to be banged home pretty strongly."

Williams' walkout isn't the only factor crippling the Bulldogs' sponsorship drive as several ugly off-field incidents this season have had an impact.

Ben Roberts has been involved in two alcohol-related incidents, the latest which led to the half-back and team-mate Lee Te Maari being stood down from first grade and fined $5000 each.

Last week the club sacked rookie halfback Arana Taumata after he allegedly broke a man's jaw in a fight outside a Bondi hotel.

The club's sliding form - it is second last and only four points clear of wooden spoon favourite North Queensland - has also affected the push for corporate dollars.

"I'd like to think when the times are a little tough the sponsors are going to stick with us," Greenberg said.

"I've said a number of times the club will come out the other end and we want to hope as many of our sponsors and supporters stick with us through the tough times."

It is understood behind the scenes some officials are seething at the previous administration for allowing the club's apparel sponsors deals to expire at the same time.

The shortfall could potentially also form part of a legal argument if the club moves to seek damages from Williams for walking out in the first year of a five-year contract.

The club is still hopeful of retaining Mitsubishi Electric. Greenberg expected to meet representatives of the company later this week.

Although it has not re-signed, Maxim Home Loans issued a statement last week condemning Williams' walkout before confirming its support for the club.

Greenberg's attempts to secure sponsors have also been hampered by the club's court battle against Williams.

The chief executive spent yesterday being briefed by the club's legal team before today's appearance in the NSW Supreme Court.

Efforts for a speedy resolution have been thwarted by the club's inability to issue writs against Williams and his manager, Khoder Nasser, to provide necessary documentation about the Toulon deal.

Williams avoided being subpoenaed while stranded in London last week trying to organise a visa for France.

Nasser has also been elusive after he skipped Anthony Mundine's fight in Newcastle last Wednesday night and has somehow managed to escape detection since arriving in France.

It is understood the Bulldogs will today ask the NSW Supreme Court for substituted service so papers can be issued on others who are connected to the Williams' camp.

"We're working at speed with the NRL and our respective legal teams to determine our next steps," Greenberg said.

"Given the matter is now before the courts it would be improper of me to offer any further comment."

Calixte

First Grade
Reported on 2GB - the Bulldogs have won the right to serve SBW with papers regardless of whether they can find him. He or a representative of his must front up this Friday.

Sounds like an order for substituted service has been made.

Is that right from what you've heard Timmah? If so, it would mean the Court has decided there is some other reasonably certain avenue of ensuring the proceedings come to SBW's attention through service of the documents.

Maybe they allowed the NRL to serve Mundine? :p

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sonny Bill Williams has been ordered to front a Sydney court as the Bulldogs push for an injunction to stop him playing rugby union in France.

Williams, or at least a legal representative, must be at the Supreme Court by 10am this Friday - the same day he is expected to make his French rugby debut.

The Bulldogs have won the right to serve the 23-year-old with papers without having to locate him.

Williams will be notified via SMS that the papers have been served. His associate, Khoder Nasser, will be summonsed in the same way.

The news arrives just hours after the Kiwi international inked a one year deal with French club Toulon, and days before he is expected to make his first on-field appearance in a pre-season friendly.

"He'll be at the very least in the stadium, or better on the team sheet" for Friday's friendly against Hyeres, said Toulon's president Mourad Boudjellal.

The ex-Bulldog shocked the rugby league world by walking away from his team and the code eleven days ago.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/08/05/Sonny_Bill_ordered_to_front_Sydney_court

Patorick

Staff member
Heh, Sonny won't be able to walk properly for a month after the News lawyers are through with him.

Eels Dude

Coach
1. Bulldogs should have a right to sue for a fair bit, loss of sponsorship is one thing, I don't know if they can use arguments for loss of gate receipts etc, but sponsorsho and breach of contract alone should be worthy of decent figure. Though, I don't too much about the legal system, if he presents a good case the Magistrate could rule in Sonny's favour. I certainly hope not though.

2. In regards to the article Timmah linked, Sonny signing a one season deal is very stupid. He could do great in his first season, however if he's banned from the NRL next year, and if he's offered a contract extension next season in France, they're going to have all the bargaining power and can offer him substantially less to re-sign, especially if he turns out a mediocre rugby player.

Patorick

Staff member
I'm sure one of the other French clubs will happily sign him aswell if he does move on.

Cheezel

Juniors
No. They, and the NRL, should sue for more than that so to dissuade any other players from walking out on a contract before it expires

Agree......He needs take responsiblity for his actions. I am sure he and fellow freinds calculated what might happen and I am sure they were prepared to pay some fee to get him out of his Bulldogs contract as he could make way more covering any short term losses.

So the Bulldogs must sue him based on the earnings they will lose over the 5 years.

I have no issue with any player going overseas to play in France if both parties agree to end the contract.

In this case Sonny has just packed his bags and taken off. As much as I think he has been given bad advise by his so called friends he needs to be accountable for his actions.

Latest posts