What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supreme Court grants Bulldogs summons power

Danish

Referee
It will be very VERY interesting if the supreme court finds in favour of the dogs.

Such a thing will pretty much inprison SBW in france for the rest of his life, as any other country (UK, NZ or his home country of Tonga) would be more than cooperative in extraditing him.

Plumplechook

Juniors
According to newspaper reports there is something else VERY interesting that the judge said during this morning's hearing:
"Justice Austin also noted that there did not appear to be any clause in Williams' contract that prevented him from signing a contract with another club".
Whoops. Maybe the contract isn't quite as watertight as the Bulldogs have been suggesting.
I get the feeling that Williams/Khodar Nasser aren't quite as silly as many have been suggesting and have thought this whole thing through carefully - probably with expert legal advice.

Eels Dude

Coach
According to newspaper reports there is something else VERY interesting that the judge said during this morning's hearing:
"Justice Austin also noted that there did not appear to be any clause in Williams' contract that prevented him from signing a contract with another club".
Whoops
. Maybe the contract isn't quite as watertight as the Bulldogs have been suggesting.
I get the feeling that Williams/Khodar Nasser aren't quite as silly as many have been suggesting and have thought this whole thing through carefully - probably with expert legal advice.

What's so special about that... The whole point of signing a contract with one club, is that signing that contract prevents you from signing with any other club... It shouldn't need a clause as the contract itself defies any such clause.

Shorty

Staff member
^Yeah.
Wouldn't it be on the terms of agreement? In which he signed upon to honour?

BuffaloRules

Coach
NRL are dreaming if they think France are going to give a k*nting f**k about some sporting breach of contract ruling issued in a NSW court. This is a country that gave the agents who blew up the Rainbow Warrior their highest national honour on their return to France. They operate under their own rules over there. And how exactly do the Bulldogs think they are going to get compensation from the millionaire who owns Toulon? Set Fred Briggs on him? The best they can hope for is to get some sort of contempt of court ruling against SBW if he fails to respond to some court order. But that's hardly going to be grounds for extradition from France. Even the judge this morning was saying that "there are some fairly turbulent and difficult waters ahead'' in pursuing this case. The only people who are going to come out of this smiling are the lawyers - and $BW of course.

Isnt France part of the EU now??

Would the EU court be a higher authority then a French court on this issue?

Calixte

First Grade
Most probably if there was no express term in the contract, the Court would be obliged to find an implied term that had the same effect. Given it is necessary to give business efficacy to the contract, that won't be hard...

Eels Dude

Coach
In which case why would the judge even mention it?

I've no idea. But this isn't a matter that's going come up for them a frequent basis. In any case the article mentioned a negative clause, if this is the case than a magistrate could rule anything not mentioned in a case as being a 'clause. Sounds confusing, apologies.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I honestly recon the Dogs are best at trying to get compensation. 3 years at 500K= 1.5 million. That is a fair deal for both parties.

What about loss of players that we could have kept if he hadn't taken a large chunk in our cap? How about loss in sponsorship? How about losing an opportunity to sign quality players for 09?

CharlieF

Juniors
I do not know of any person who has gone to prison for breaking a sports contract. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. he could come back to Australia whenever he wanted with no fear of imprisonment. I would go as far as to sue the Dogs and the NRL for loss of income if their actions cause it. His is capable of earning at least 1.5 million a year just on match payments.

Sure, SBW could play out his remaining 4 years with the Dogs and receive his 450k as promised, but I would take to court anybody who restricted me from earning triple that. In other words, match the contract I am being offered now and I will play. Force me to sit it out and I will sue for loss of income that is anything over the original 450k contract. There is nothing fairer than that and to argue otherwise is to argue against somebodies right to earn what he and others believe he is worth.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
I do not know of any person who has gone to prison for breaking a sports contract. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. he could come back to Australia whenever he wanted with no fear of imprisonment. I would go as far as to sue the Dogs and the NRL for loss of income if their actions cause it. His is capable of earning at least 1.5 million a year just on match payments.

Sure, SBW could play out his remaining 4 years with the Dogs and receive his 450k as promised, but I would take to court anybody who restricted me from earning triple that. In other words, match the contract I am being offered now and I will play. Force me to sit it out and I will sue for loss of income that is anything over the original 450k contract. There is nothing fairer than that and to argue otherwise is to argue against somebodies right to earn what he and others believe he is worth.

Bollocks. If you sign a contract saying this is how much you are going to earn for set period you have every obligation to stick to it except if you have a get out clause. You can't decide halfway through the contract that you are worth more and then just break it illegally, threatening to sue if there is any retaliation. Two wrongs don't make a right.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bollocks. If you sign a contract saying this is how much you are going to earn for set period you have every obligation to stick to it except if you have a get out clause. You can't decide halfway through the contract that you are worth more and then just break it illegally, threatening to sue if there is any retaliation. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Basically yes. Even futures traders are obliged to honour their contracts :sarcasm:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
nm_137833_px_501__w_varmatin_.jpg
Sonny Bill Williams, après avoir signé son contrat en faveur du RCT, a fait hier la connaissance de ses nouveaux coéquipiers en lisant la présentation exclusive de Var-matin. Il les découvrira très bientôt en chair et en os.
"SBW, after having signed his contract with RCT, met his new teammates yesterday whilst reading the exclusive presentation in the Var-matin. He will discover them very soon in flesh and bone."

Look at that smile. Smug bastard.

Calixte

First Grade
"SBW, after having signed his contract with RCT, met his new teammates yesterday whilst reading the exclusive presentation in the Var-matin. He will discover them very soon in flesh and bone."

Look at that smile. Smug bastard.

What about a hit, miguel?

You're closest... ;-)

The problem with putting some ridiculous figure of compensation on the defection is that SBW's lawyers can then use that figure to argue what their player is worth and claim he was being underpaid and that the salary cap is a restraint of trade. The more they try to hurt SBW in the pocket, the more it might bite them in the bum.

gallop commented on the SC and said it could be held up to be legal in a court of law if you can demonstrate a benefit to the competition from it.

plus is SBW going to spend millions on a court case challenging the cap.

it looks like SBW will end up bankrupt from this if not back in league and i can live with that.

if you want to live at the end of a contract or with a get out clause well i can live with it, but to walk out mid contract on your team mates.

unacceptable

If ever you wanted to escape international law and live an exotic lifestyle, then you have to look no further than France.

To be honest, I have no interest in Williams (even his SBW tag leaves me cold) but the sanctity of a signed contract needs to be protected at all costs.

if SBW is deemed a criminal and cant leave france, there goes his hopes of playing for the All Blacks

Whoops. Maybe the contract isn't quite as watertight as the Bulldogs have been suggesting.

yes mate, a contract needs to say you cant play anywhere else during that contract.

thanks for your contribution to the forum, its fantastic

Latest posts