What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise surprise - Laurie Daley predicts Sharks to finish 16th

Plastered

Juniors
Nob.

Foxsports.com.au's 2011 NRL season preview with Laurie Daley: Cronulla, tipped to finish 16th

483838-paul-gallen-and-nathan-gardner.gif

Rough and tumble ... Paul Gallen and Nathan Gardner. Source: News Limited

Foxsports.com.au continues its countdown to the NRL premiership season by previewing Cronulla, the team rugby league legend Laurie Daley predicts will finish 16th this year.

2011 Cronulla NRL Squad

Paul Aiton, Colin Best, Jayson Bukuya, Andrew Clayton, Dean Collis, Josh Cordoba, Luke Douglas, Stuart Flanagan, Paul Gallen, Nathan Gardner, Isaac Gordon, Wade Graham, Trent Grubb, Albert Kelly, Kose Lelei, Ricky Leutele, Johnny Mannah, Stewart Mills, John Morris, Matt Parata, Ben Pomeroy, Scott Porter, Jeremy Smith, Tim Smith, Kade Snowden, Nathan Stapleton, Taulima Tautai, Ryan Tongia, Anthony Tupou, Siosaia Vave, John Williams, Broderick Wright, Matthew Wright.

Ryan Tongia

471860-ryan-tongia.jpg

Tongia ... future on the shire.
Source: News Limited

New faces: Andrew Clayton (Brisbane Broncos), Colin Best (South Sydney), Jeremy Smith (St George Illawarra), John Williams (North Queensland Cowboys), Kose Lelei (Canterbury-Bankstown), Ryan Tongia (Gold Coast Titans), Wade Graham (Penrith).
Out the door: Kyle O'Donnell (Newcastle Knights), Grant Millington (Canterbury-Bankstown), Blake Ferguson (Canberra), Adam Cuthbertson (St George Illawarra), Trent Barrett, Luke Covell, Reece Williams (retired), Josh Lewis (Tolouse), Lancen Joudo (North Queensland Cowboys), Luke Harlen (released).

Last year: The bright spots were again few for the Sharks, finishing with a 7-17 record. They did manage to maintain their bogey-team mantle against Parramatta with home and away wins, a feat they also achieved against grand finalists Sydney Roosters. But the highlight of the year was no doubt coming back from 18-0 down against North Queensland Cowboys to steal a dramatic 19-18 win in golden-point.

Room for improvement: It's hard not to say everywhere given Cronulla finished with the worst points differential in the competition last year, suggesting they need serious work on both sides of the ball. Perhaps they could start by learning how to harness confidence and build momentum; the Sharks had some great victories against quality oppositions in 2010 but failed to win back-to-back games. The last time they did so was round 14, 2009.

Game breaker: Paul Gallen is the heart and soul of Cronulla and, along with his back-row partners, could be the difference between turning the corner and another losing season. Some may suggest it's the non-tangibles that are Gallen's biggest contribution but in 2010 he played more minutes than any other Sharks player, made more tackles and was the leading offloader also. Better yet, he led the NRL in average runs and metres gained.

Rising star: Ryan Tongia joins Cronulla with the rare distinction of being capped twice at international level without ever making an NRL appearance. The Papua New Guinea fullback scored 18 tries in 20 Toyota Cup games for Gold Coast Titans in 2010 and that was enough to see him called up for the Kumuls' Four Nations campaign. How Tongia is to be used remains a mystery, however, given last season saw the Sharks unleash their own custodian prodigy in Nathan Gardner.
Key arrival: For various reasons Wade Graham has yet to establish himself as an NRL footballer but he'll have the perfect opportunity to do so in 2011. Not only will the former Penrith player be asked to fill the boots of departed veteran Trent Barrett, he'll do so knowing the success of Cronulla's floundering attack hinges on him forging a successful halves combination with Tim Smith. Jeremy Smith might be the higher profile addition but the weight of expectation will be far heavier on Graham.

Coach factor: Shane Flanagan got a taste of what to expect when Ricky Stuart made for him earlier than expected in 2010. He notched two wins in his seven matches in charge, against Sydney Roosters and Gold Coast Titans. With four years' experience as an assistant coach with New South Wales and the past five seasons at the Sharks, Flanagan has a proven professionalism that suggests business as usual, though hopefully with a fresh approach to the new season.

Fox Sports Stats: The Sharks desperately need to improve their attack - they scored the fewest points in 2010 (14.8 per game), the fewest in 2009 (15 per game) and the second fewest in 2008 (18.7 per game).

Laurie Daley says: "Cronulla's foward pack is outstanding, and I think that alone will lead them to having a better season than their last. The halves are the chief concern with the Sharks - recruit Wade Graham is a terrific young player but he'll need to strike up a partneship with either Tim Smith, Scott Porter or Albert Kelly. And they still don't have enought strike out wide. They've got a good 17 to 19 players but after that they could struggle for depth. I think they'll be competitive but I can see them again struggling to put points on opposition teams. They just don't have the class of some of the other teams."

The Adjudicator says: "Forget the NRL premiership, this year the Sharks will go head-to head with the New South Wales Origin side to see who the worst team in blue is. I'll give you a hint, the Sharks might end up trotting out onto Suncorp Stadium on May 25. You see, with the best bak row in the comp and that nippy little fella at the back, they're just not that bad. And this from a guy whose sole purpose on this earth is to berate professional sportspeople! With crowds set to pass those posted by Gold Coast United in the A-League, the sky is the limit."

Fantasy banker and darkhorse: If 2010 was Nathan Gardner's (Outside Back, $320K) coming out party then 2011 is the year he turns into Fantasy gold dust. We've all seen what he's capable of producing from anywhere on the park and with the No.1 between the shoulder blades you know he's going to see plenty of ball. Plenty of people have probably given up on Albert Kelly (Halfback, $160K) after his numerous attempts to find a home in the Sharks 17. But keep him on your radar as he'll still get his chances in 2011, though it remains to be seen where.

Source - http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...e-daley-cronulla/story-fn2mcuj6-1226009250799

DJShaksta

First Grade
He actually says we'll have a better year than 2010, then predicts we'll finish last.
The guy is a clown of the highest order.

Quigs

Immortal
Its just the old Canderra Cyclops being one eyed again.

You know what he is like.

PJ

First Grade
Bet you he has been closer with his predictions on our team for the last few years than te vast majority on here.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Okay, I think they will come 9th.

But this guy is right up there as the biggest wanker in the game.

Others include Des Hasler and Mark Gasnier :)

Pig Champion

Juniors
Laurie Daley hates us. Ever hear his commentary when we have played canberra or SGI? He hates us. He is a hater of all things Sharks.

Come October he will hate us more.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Come October he will hate us more.
why?
mad monday in Junee for sharkies this year.
Seriously, the day i got rid of foxtel was the day I lost alot of anger. Without having to listen to smith and daley, i am finally at peace. Watching it at a mates or the pub with no sound bar the surrounds is mucha better

Quigs

Immortal
I watch Mr Fox at my local with one or two shark friends(the only shark supporters in town)

The bar has come to respect us, for our consistency and our loyalty.

They also enjoy the fact that they can witness our weekly dose of public ridicule.

I will never give Murdoch any of my money to watch TV

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Is Laurie Daley and/or anything he says worth a thread?

Honestly?

Just gives him credence to even consider his opinion.

"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby Union is a complex game played by Wankers".... Laurie Daley

Too bad he didnt retire from giving his opinion after that one .He would have retired a winner and I'd still have the greatest respect for his opinion.

This 'review' only justifys my hate for the big nose turd!
Notice no mention of Best - the prick still hasn't got over the fact that he put 3trys on him at Shark Park in the late 90s!:lol:

Ausguy

Coach
CMon everyone... lose the hate... its not an attractive trait.

He does have a point, we are a good chance of the spoon, but i dont think we will get it personally. I also dont think we will do better than the bottom 4, but i mean we are an easy target... he is getting paid for his opinion, good on him....

next expert?