What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprise Surprise

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Willow said:
I watched the replay.

OK, here's how it panned out...

After the try was scored, the referee initially asked for the video ref to check for the grounding and to check for the off-side.

He did not ask for the video ref to check for an obstruction.

The tape shows that the push was then under scrutiny.

In all, the video ref looked at three things.

1. Off-side
2. The grounding
3. The push

In that order.

The players were all onside. There was no doubt about the grounding, those two were gimmes.

Then there was a delay as the tape then started rolling back to the push from Millard on Soward. The video ref and and broadcast feed are linked.

There were several angles shown and it went on for a while.

It stands to reason that they would not have been looking for a breach from Soward if they were satisfied that the Bulldogs were covered on the first two points.

Hope that clears things up.
I actually thought the try should have been disallowed for another reason.

El Masri when he first touched it, fumbled the ball. It then appeared to touch nightingales hand, effecting a knock on.

There was so much contentious action in that play, I was amazed that it was awarded.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Johnny Bravo said:
I actually thought the try should have been disallowed for another reason.

El Masri when he first touched it, fumbled the ball. It then appeared to touch nightingales hand, effecting a knock on.

There was so much contentious action in that play, I was amazed that it was awarded.
I know what you mean but I had a close look and couldn't see a knock-on from El Masri - he appeared to pull the ball towards himself when competing with Nightingale. As I said, the video ref had a couple of looks at it then rolled back to look at the push.

I've got no real problems with the try being awarded. Bit annoyed at the time (as you say, there was a lot of contentious play) but that's done with now. The push and jostle that led up to it was 50/50 but the video ref has to make a decision. It could have gone either way but thems the breaks.

On a related note, I always considered the whole 'benefit of the doubt' to be a fluffy piece of ruling and mainly for theatre. I wish they'd just say its a try (or no-try) and get on with the game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
taxidriver said:
it's clear from this thread bulldog fans have as much integrity as their side.

you won, take the result but don't lower yourselves to being blatant liars.

The Dragons fans are the ones (still) whinging about a harsh call from the refs.

They wouldn't have lost the game if they defended better, if the bomb was diffused at the end, if they didn't turn over possession.... the list goes on.

They became their own worst enemy in the second half and we took advantage.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Timmah said:
The Dragons fans are the ones (still) whinging about a harsh call from the refs.
People are entitled to their opinion.

And of course, you're entitled to hold a degree of discomfort about the whole thing.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Dragon said:
Its gonna cost someone a semi or GF, then we might see the league community actually stand together and say enough is enough. The knights didnt get a penalty till the 53rd minute against the Warriors tonight. Sounds familiar to when we played the warriors. Same ref btw. Its becoming clear who the NRL wants in the 8, and its f**king disgraceful.

That's because the Warriors didn't do anything worth a penalty.

We are playing with a lot of discipline atm.

It's perfectly possible that a team could play out an entire 80 mins without conceding a penalty, and if they are that disciplined than all power to them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dragon said:
Its becoming clear who the NRL wants in the 8, and its f**king disgraceful.

If there's a "low" comment in this thread, surely that's it.

petetheileet

First Grade
poor calls along with bad mistakes cost us a game we should have won by 13+

do seem to get the rough end of the stick a lot, so do plenty of other of teams....

as a dragons supporter however i have seen this shocking refereeing cost us plenty of matches this season

Mr Saab

Referee
Timmah said:

And you never whinge about a ref?
Seem to recall you going off your nut alomst every game in 2006 that the dogs lost.
Even when you lost 30-0 to the broncos you went troppo.
Or
Are you a changed person in 2007?

jimmythehand

Juniors
taxidriver said:
it's clear from this thread bulldog fans have as much integrity as their side.

you won, take the result but don't lower yourselves to being blatant liars.

That's perhaps one of the most pathetic posts I've read. At least I can be comfortable knowing I have more integrity than Dragons fans.

RufusRex

Post Whore
On ElMasris try .. forget the push, forget the grouding ... The front on shot shows this as clear as day ... ElMasri loses control of the ball and as it is falling Nightingale touches it. ElMasri regathers and then maybe grounds it ..

The moment Nightingales hand touched the ball on the way down it is a knock on ...

The williams strip i disagree with but in the context of benefit of the doubt i see why it was awarded .. The ElMasri one was a definate no try even before you consider the push in the back and the grounding.

taxidriver

Coach
coming from a guy who lives in an RPG game :lol: :lol:

i told you earlier, take the win, enjoy it but don't try and lie about the events leading to it.

jimmythehand

Juniors
taxidriver said:
coming from a guy who lives in an RPG game :lol: :lol:

i told you earlier, take the win, enjoy it but don't try and lie about the events leading to it.

i think i'll downgrade you from loser to moron.

Latest posts