What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survival of the NRL and NRL Clubs

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
They were both pushing hard for the 12 teams things, f**king vampires. It’s a worry when a plonker like Creepy Crawley was the voice of reason. How is losing 4 teams good for the game or going to grow it???

Especially if one of those teams is from another country??? Short sighted wankers.
How is continuing with a competition that we can't afford good for the game?

Something needs to give. We won't be flushed with cash.

Delboy

First Grade
Keep your eye on Penrtih and financial issues

They are still highly geared and this non trading of their 5 leagues clubs will be serious for them, hope nothing happens but worth watching. There are comments on this in the Panthers forum currently

Last edited by a moderator:

Noise

Coach

They are still highly geared and this non trading of their 5 leagues clubs will be serious for them, hope nothing happens but worth watching. There are comments on this in the Panthers forum currently
Somebody check on hindy111

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How is continuing with a competition that we can't afford good for the game?

Something needs to give. We won't be flushed with cash.
Lose 4 teams and a quarter of the TV deal as well, they cost the NRL 13 million a year do in grant money so do you honestly think cutting 4 teams is the answer?? The cap is too high and needs to be cut and so does off field expenditure for all club it needs to be capped no doubt about it but a 12 team comp is just going backwards and not the answer. We should be growing the game not killing it in certain areas. If a team falls after after the crisis after the NRL has helped them all they can do be it but this Corona merkin was none of any of the clubs making and they shouldn’t die because of it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well I can hardly see the NRL propping up any one team and not another (like those birds who select the fittest chick to feed and starve the runt), so attrition be will based on their ability to weather the financial storm, rather than their location.

I was meaning if NRL died and restarted what clubs to bring back.

hindy111

Post Whore

Along with Parramata and Brisbane I think this is one club the NRL make sure stays alive.
Juniors and the fact it's closest club geographically is 35km away and Penrith is a growing population means they must stay.

Parramatta are closer to Roosters,Souths,Bulldogs,St George geogrpahically speaking....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Lose 4 teams and a quarter of the TV deal as well, they cost the NRL 13 million a year do in grant money so do you honestly think cutting 4 teams is the answer?? The cap is too high and needs to be cut and so does off field expenditure for all club it needs to be capped no doubt about it but a 12 team comp is just going backwards and not the answer. We should be growing the game not killing it in certain areas. If a team falls after after the crisis after the NRL has helped them all they can do be it but this Corona merkin was none of any of the clubs making and they shouldn’t die because of it.
What if the NRL has to keep shelling out to keep 16 clubs afloat? Thats not sustainable.

I dont think its right to say that there should be 12 clubs, but equally its not right to say there should be 16.

The NRL and clubs need to look at what's available, work out how they cut expenses and come back with a sustainable model going forward. Until they do that it is difficult to say one way or the other how many clubs there should be.

emjaycee

Coach
Well each club has a perpetual licence agreement do they not ? John Grant gave them such a deal when they signed off on the $13m grant. I guess the devil is in the detail.
A perpetual licence doesnt stop the issue that if 5 clubs cannot support themselves (and thus relinquish their licence) how does the NRL choose which one to 'prop up'?

Gronk

Staff member
A perpetual licence doesnt stop the issue that if 5 clubs cannot support themselves (and thus relinquish their licence) how does the NRL choose which one to 'prop up'?

Agreed and the argument from the Souths about the shit clubs was the equal funding model. The shit clubs want the rich clubs to forgo NRL cash during the covid19 premiership pause .Richo told them all to get f**ked.

Not sure under the equal funding model that the NRL are allowed to "prop up" one club and not the other. Accordingly, they will just have to watch each club fold even if they technically wanted them to stay. Unless there is a mutual agreement to move the team interstate. Not sure if that is even in the table ATM.

Angry_eel

First Grade
The cap is too high and needs to be cut
There goes our premiership window.

My Daughter in 2035: Dad, why didn't we win a premiership til now?
Me: Well, we would have but the Coronavirus happened and then the cap was cut. Ryan Mattereson and Mitch Moses left. We sucked again.

emjaycee

Coach
There goes our premiership window.

My Daughter in 2035: Dad, why didn't we win a premiership til now?
Me: Well, we would have but the Coronavirus happened and then the cap was cut. Ryan Mattereson and Mitch Moses left. We sucked again.
Are we winning one in 2035 - you f**ken beauty!!