What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sustaining&building upon current NRL boom

Brian potter

First Grade
Brookvale needs redevelopment to 20k and rebranding to include central coast ( northern Eagles) playing a few games on the central coast, that will constraint supply and push attendance.
Dragons needs to increase the stands on the southern end and corners to bring it over 20k at Wollongong playing all non Sydney clubs there with the Sydney games at alliance.
Rabbits to Alliance.
Accor needs Double headers..

Sharks to Perth lol
Not sure manly would or need to include the central coast these days what with the redevelopment going on at brookvale.

playing all of the dragons home games against Sydney teams at alliance is taking far to many home games away from Wollongong for my liking as they should only play souths at alliance and at a push maybe the sharks with the rest played at WIN.

souths to alliance is a must unless Accor is redeveloped.

Last edited:
And in 2002 they drew 12k. Perth don’t need to draw the same crowds as cowboys lol.
Cowboys were anchored at the bottom of the ladder in 2002.

Between 1995-2002 they finished 20th (wooden spoon), 17th, 10th (wooden spoon), 16th, 16th, 14th (wooden spoon), 13th and 11th.

If a Perth-based team has a run like that over its first eight seasons then its attendances will be lucky to hit 10k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cowboys were anchored at the bottom of the ladder in 2002.

Between 1995-2002 they finished 20th (wooden spoon), 17th, 10th (wooden spoon), 16th, 16th, 14th (wooden spoon), 13th and 11th.

If a Perth-based team has a run like that over its first eight seasons then its attendances will be lucky to hit 10k.
So basically like I said, most clubs will draw 12-14k when sht and 17k-20k when good.
No reason at all Perth wont be exactly the same.

So basically like I said, most clubs will draw 12-14k when sht and 17k-20k when good.
No reason at all Perth wont be exactly the same.
Some clubs draw less.

Western Reds were one of them.

A Perth-based team will rely on strong attendances to generate the revenue it needs to compete in a hostile market.

Canard

Immortal
@Perth Red @Get Rid of The Donkeys

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some clubs draw less.

Western Reds were one of them.

A Perth-based team will rely on strong attendances to generate the revenue it needs to compete in a hostile market.
That was 30 years ago lol, times have moved on, so should you.

Any new club coming in needs to be aiming for 20k members, 15-17k crowds and around $8-10mill in sponsors and corporate sales. Nail that and they will be just fine.

The evidence shows that most clubs will draw 12-14k when at bottom of table and 16-20k when at top. Theres a few outliers like Newcastle & Brisbane who draw well regardless and Sharks and Canberra who draw poorly even at top (stadium a big factor). But on the whole that is what the stats show.

eg in last ten years
penrith 11.5k - 18.8k
NQ 13.6k-19.1k
Melbourne 13.4k-19k
Parra 11.1k-20k
Souths 10.9k - 20k
warriors 11.7k - 21k

That was 30 years ago lol, times have moved on, so should you.

Any new club coming in needs to be aiming for 20k members, 15-17k crowds and around $8-10mill in sponsors and corporate sales. Nail that and they will be just fine.

The evidence shows that most clubs will draw 12-14k when at bottom of table and 16-20k when at top. Theres a few outliers like Newcastle & Brisbane who draw well regardless and Sharks and Canberra who draw poorly even at top (stadium a big factor). But on the whole that is what the stats show.

eg in last ten years
penrith 11.5k - 18.8k
NQ 13.6k-19.1k
Melbourne 13.4k-19k
Parra 11.1k-20k
Souths 10.9k - 20k
warriors 11.7k - 21k
Canberra draw well when playing poorly over the last 10 years?

In 2014 and 2015 9,608 and 9,269. In the decade prior to that their attendances hovered between 10,190 and 13,419.

You said Perth lost 60% of its playerbase over the last 30 years.

Now you're saying it has doubled the size of its active RL supporter base?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Canberra draw well when playing poorly over the last 10 years?

In 2014 and 2015 9,608 and 9,269. In the decade prior to that their attendances hovered between 10,190 and 13,419.

You said Perth lost 60% of its playerbase over the last 30 years.

Now you're saying it has doubled the size of its active RL supporter base?
Thats not what I said, I said Canberra dont draw big crowds, even when winning. They are an outlier.

Well 40k+ locals turned up to watch 2 games of NRL last year so I guess so.
60k turn up to watch Origin, 20k have turned up to watch NRL games at HBF.
so yeh 15-17k for a well run club is very achievable. Same for Christchurch from what we have seen of one off crowds there as well.

Vlad59

Bench
Anyhow sustaining and building in the current boom will require very careful processes around expansion, investment, and building pathways through the South Pacific.
Expansion has been discussed to death here. Most of us see Perth and NZ2 as best next options. PNG is generally considered to be overly ambitious but there are numerous other options. It’s a great problem to have.
The NRL appears to get making sound investment decisions and we can expect a lot more.
I see the NRL trying to stamp its authority across the South Pacific in order to create player pathways with a lot of emphasis on NZ.
And as I stated earlier, it’s clear the NRL sees participation in a different light with a focus on non contact versions of the game being included in club footy. As an example in the Cronulla district a club called Kurnell has tripled its team numbers by offering Tag in every age group.
Now I’ve got that off my chest, over to you PR and donkey to continue derailing the thread.

Canard

Immortal
Anyhow sustaining and building in the current boom will require very careful processes around expansion, investment, and building pathways through the South Pacific.
Expansion has been discussed to death here. Most of us see Perth and NZ2 as best next options. PNG is generally considered to be overly ambitious but there are numerous other options. It’s a great problem to have.
The NRL appears to get making sound investment decisions and we can expect a lot more.
I see the NRL trying to stamp its authority across the South Pacific in order to create player pathways with a lot of emphasis on NZ.
And as I stated earlier, it’s clear the NRL sees participation in a different light with a focus on non contact versions of the game being included in club footy. As an example in the Cronulla district a club called Kurnell has tripled its team numbers by offering Tag in every age group.
Now I’ve got that off my chest, over to you PR and donkey to continue derailing the thread.
Personally I think they game is only really just getting to an acceptable level, and one we should have been at years ago.

To call it a boom, probably shows how badly we have underperformed.

Vlad59

Bench
Personally I think they game is only really just getting to an acceptable level, and one we should have been at years ago.

To call it a boom, probably shows how badly we have underperformed.
Can’t argue with that. 12 years ago when I was involved with the ARL I was shocked at how small minded many of the admin were. It was all about patch protection and nothing about growing revenues crowds or expansion. The game is resilient thank feck because it’s been let down time and time again by it’s management.