What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swimming is so boring and ridiculous

Anonymous

Juniors
Seriously, am I the only person who gets bored stupid by the swimming section of the Olympics?? I mean, they take up like the entire first week. The swimming week isn't a patch on the athletics week, which is what the Olympics are all about. Why are there so many bloody swimming events?? You don't see anyone else winning 6 or 7 medals at a time, only the swimmers. It's ridiculous. You get swimmers who win a gold, and can't even pretend to be excited, because they've already won 5. And why are there four different swimming strokes??? By rights, they should include backwards running in athletics, as well as running while flapping your arms over your head, and running like a genius. Swimming=gay.

half

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
And why are there four different swimming strokes???
true. i've been on this rant in my anti-phelps sentiments already. but freestyle is legit

but in all fairness, athletics has hurdles and walking

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thierry Henry said:
Seriously, am I the only person who gets bored stupid by the swimming section of the Olympics?? .

I'd say you're the only person TH

Swimming is the Olympics

Razor

Coach
And why are there four different swimming strokes???

Why in athletics are there four different throwing stlyes?

hammer
shot put
discus
javelin

Why in athletics are there four different running stlyes?

Standard
Hurdles
Steeplechase
Walking

Because they want there to be.

You don't see anyone else winning 6 or 7 medals at a time

Only 1 swimmer has ever won 7 medals at one Olympics. Several gymnasts have.

Marion Jones won 5 at the last Olmpics in ATHLETICS.

ozbash

Referee
did they have swimming in the ancient olympics ?
they didnt have beach volleyball #-o

Lang Park

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Seriously, am I the only person who gets bored stupid by the swimming section of the Olympics?? I mean, they take up like the entire first week. The swimming week isn't a patch on the athletics week, which is what the Olympics are all about. Why are there so many bloody swimming events?? You don't see anyone else winning 6 or 7 medals at a time, only the swimmers. It's ridiculous. You get swimmers who win a gold, and can't even pretend to be excited, because they've already won 5. And why are there four different swimming strokes??? By rights, they should include backwards running in athletics, as well as running while flapping your arms over your head, and running like a genius. Swimming=gay.

If you think swimming is"gay"next time you jump in to the water,try running,see how you go ;-)

Bella

Juniors
I love the swimming for the first few days, however I am really of sick by the end. Sat down this morning hoping to watch some new exciting sports, but nope, still swimming.

Anonymous

Juniors
There are far too many events. How can anyone get excited by it. And there is no comparison between hurdles/steeplechase, and having four different swimming strokes. If they put some obstacles in the water, I'd be down with that. Running and jumping are two different skills. Swimming while flapping your arms in different ways aren't. If they really were separate skills, then there wouldn't be so many swimmers proficient at more than one stroke.

Booyah

Bench
Swimming has always been part of the Olympics. That, Fencing, Gymnastics and Athletics were all the first sportsof the Modern Olympic games.

Razor

Coach
If they really were separate skills, then there wouldn't be so many swimmers proficient at more than one stroke.

There aren't many swimmers good at all 4. Some are good at 2-3 strokes, same as there is in athletics.

Anonymous

Juniors
Swimming has always been part of the Olympics. That, Fencing, Gymnastics and Athletics were all the first sportsof the Modern Olympic games.

I don't really have anything against swimming as such, it just annoys me that it gets joint billing with track and field as the biggest thing at the Olympics. It is nowhere near as varied as track and field, and so much of it is repetitive and pointless.

Razor

Coach
There aren't very many athletes good at both sprinting and hurdling.

Gail Deveres was top class at both.

There will be others.

But hurdling is generally done by sprinters who aren't good enough in the straight sprint. The top sprinters would dominate hurdlign if they did it.

nibbs

Bench
thierry. i absolutely agree with you. the swimming makes me want to sleep. get it outta here. or least the breatstroke, the butterfly and the backstroke. its all the ridiculous

half

Coach
nibbs said:
or least the breatstroke, the butterfly and the backstroke. its all the ridiculous
yeah. they should only keep freestyle aka the australian crawl. i agree

half

Coach
nibbs said:
it'll be the phelps crawl by the time 2008 comes along
lol. the greatest freestyler of all-time is ian thorpe and don't you forget it

and let's not forget grant hackett and jodie henry

phelps on the other hand, 0 freestyle gold medals. lol

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only reason why you kiwi's hate the swimming is because all your athletes are absolutely shit at it! :lol: