What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney's North Shore

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see one team admitted 2017, one 2018/19 then it will be at least 5-10 years after that before the game grows again. Who knows where will the game could be looking at by 2025!

IF and it's a big IF manly a prepared to expand their interests and find a way to become THE club for that whole ego on then CC will not get a stand alone team.

reanimate

Bench
Unfortunately it's in the best interests of the game that expansion occurs in Perth,SEQ & NZ before CC.

So this means that it is unlikely the CC Bears will be in the comp in the next 10 years.

What happens to the North Shore of Sydney in the meantime?

Exactly.

The area is stuck in limbo, which has done huge amounts of damage to RL in the area. Sorry to say CC Bears fans, but I highly doubt the Bears will be considered in the next expansion wave. Especially not when the CEO has said publicly he'd like to see the game have more of a national footprint.

That's not to say the CC will never get in, but if it's another 10 years before that eventuates, and the Bears continue to hold onto the North Shore, it'll do ridiculous damage to RL's presence on the North Shore.

bobmar28

Bench
If the NRL can't work towards a 20 team comp with the Central Coast Bears, West Coast Pirates, South Queensland/SW Brisbane and Wellington-Christchurch NZ2 all included then they should just give up now about ever trying to be the number one sport.

That model would set rugby league up as the most wide spread sports league across Australia & New Zealand.

There's a requirement for a resurrected team presence on the Central Coast & North Shore and the most practical 2 birds 1 stone solution is the Central Coast Bears.

Yes they would only play 1 game a year at North Sydney Oval - but there's enough stadiums on the fringe of the Bears territory - Brookvale, Stadium Australia, Leichardt, SFS - to create away membership packages. The Bears are the only expansion club that are going to attract significant away fan support at other Sydney club home games.

I put it this way to Manly fans wondering about the Bears possible return. What makes more sense to the game as whole? To have one team - Manly - lazily trying to engage the North Shore & Central Coast in a half hearted manner? Or to put them into fierce competition with a traditional rival for hearts and minds? What do you think gets people talking more, reading more, buying more? I can tell you now if you have any understanding of competitive game theory the Bears-Sea Eagles scenario will be better for the NRL overall than the Sea Eagles along.

If you market the clubs as 'Central Coast' on the Coast and as the 'Bears' in North Sydney you get the benefit of both.

As for Manly's isolation that's their own doing. If they were going to easily spread the brand to North Sydney & Central Coast then they would have done by now. As they haven't it is also unlikely that they will ever come to dominate either area. To expect a different result from Manly doing the same thing they have been is foolhardy.

The Bears will help Manly by making rugby league the sporting focus from the harbour to the Central Coast. That means more new fans and kids playing the sport. That benefits Manly in the long run.

If you think the NRL should give up trying to be the number one sport if the CC Bears are not included you are delusional.

Lambretta

First Grade
Exactly.

The area is stuck in limbo, which has done huge amounts of damage to RL in the area. Sorry to say CC Bears fans, but I highly doubt the Bears will be considered in the next expansion wave. Especially not when the CEO has said publicly he'd like to see the game have more of a national footprint.

That's not to say the CC will never get in, but if it's another 10 years before that eventuates, and the Bears continue to hold onto the North Shore, it'll do ridiculous damage to RL's presence on the North Shore.

Mate, it's already been done. I live in Pymble - you can't really get more North Shore than that and Rugby League in junior form is pretty much non existant.

Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union and cricket all have a presence but League is nowhere to be found until you get to Belrose which is officially part of the Northern Beaches and not the North Shore.

The Central Coast Bears have done bits and pieces with the local Public Schools but that was a few years ago now. Without funding the CC Bears are going to struggle to do anything in the area.

I can see why the Bears don't want Manly promoting themselves in the area, but they really shouldn't have a choice. If you walk around the schools the one thing "League" you do see is kids in Manly gear. The kids have voted with their feet and have started following Manly. The Bears have been gone too long to get kids to support them. Manly should be given the opportunity to develop the area under the understanding that if the Bears ever come back in the area will revert to Norths.

Manly would then need to take a risk on the area - one which I think is well worth their taking.

papabear

Juniors
bears should shift to west brisbane

Be the West Brisbane Bears.

tbh if the Central Coast gets in it should make for good local derbys between the bears and manly.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have got a couple of work mates that live on the lower North Shore (Mosman & Cremorne). Their first love is Union, but they used to follow the Bears.

Now their kids are mad Manly fans.

Manly should be taking over this area.

docbrown

Coach
Unfortunately it's in the best interests of the game that expansion occurs in Perth,SEQ & NZ before CC.

But there's also no point in overlooking the Central Coast Bears if the other franchise's model is shithouse. Just look at the Brisbane Bombers.

All these areas are important to the future of the game, no point going in with half measures. As it stands the CCB model is better to the lack of vision for NZ and SEQ.

What happens to the North Shore of Sydney in the meantime?

What usually happens when something's abandoned?

I completely agree with that other than the CC Bears.

Why? Why the CC and NS together? All it does is give the NS a weak, token RL presence.

reanimate said:
Get Manly building support amongst these younger generations, and you'd have far more chance of getting more long term, hardcore fans- Brookvale is closer to a vast majority of the North Shore than Gosford is, and Manly has a winning culture.

The reality is the North Shore is never going to have a full time team (sorry but Manly just don't cut it and that's partly by their own choice) so at best they're only ever going to be able to have a team that gives them a minor presence in the competition.

But a minor presence is better than no presence at all and to Bears fans (who clearly still exist in significant numbers that rival some current NRL clubs) and to those in the region who support the game but only have weak club affiliation, a club that builds upon a previous local history that also proactively tries to engage with their area will have a strong appeal.

You keep talking about Manly filling that role but again they've had a decade to fill the hole yet the hole's still there. Manly will benefit from renewed interest in the region and yes there will be fans that start to choose between the Bears & Sea Eagles.

But remember this is only part of the Central Coast Bears bid. The Central Coast is a bigger market and will continue to out grow several existing NRL teams market's. To have no plan for the region is a joke.

reanimate said:
Because that worked so well for the Bears last time?

Victims of the time. I can understand why you would try to suppress your memories of the Super League-Northern Eagles era though. ;-)

reanimate said:
The competition between a 2nd NZ club and the Warriors would be far, far more beneficial

I actually agree with that but that doesn't mean that CC Bears/Manly paradigm has little or no benefit. All the expansion areas have different benefits to the game.

reanimate said:
But do you? This is the assumption all Bears fans make.

But I'm not even a Bears fan. I'm a Knights fan and even I can see the benefit that having a team on our borders will have for my club. To have more people supporting their local NRL club in greater numbers grows my sport and that will grow my club.

reanimate said:
Who said it'd be easy? Our brand has spread- we have a number of supporters on the CC, and support in areas of the North Shore that never existed before. We've also had our progress in the area hindered by the Bears- if they weren't obstructing Manly, and Manly had the directive and support from the NRL to take the area, I think you'd be seeing very different results.

I agree about the lack of support from the NRL but to keep blaming your problems on a dormant club currently with little power is a bit much.

reanimate said:
I see Manly now isolated ala Cronulla, which is an idiotic move.

Isolation? There's an entire city to expand to. You don't see clubs like South Sydney complaining about being surrounded/isolated.

They've expanded their club city-wide (in the same manner that AFL teams have grown outside their enclaves) and that's why they'll prosper.

As much as you want it to, "gifting" (even if that were possible) Manly the North Shore & Central Coast isn't going to solve the divide between the haves and have nots and it's a stop-gap solution at best.

juro

Bench
What would happen if Manly abandoned Brookvale for a new stadium if it was built not too far away? Say at Frenchs Forest? How about Chatswood?

Garbler

Juniors
But there's also no point in overlooking the Central Coast Bears if the other franchise's model is shithouse. Just look at the Brisbane Bombers.

But that's precisely the point; we now have the ARLC to decide the future direction of the game - not any single bid.

The ARLC will rather:
wait for a bid like Perth & West Brisbane to be ready
than let a bid like CC in.

In fact I believe the readiness of the CC bid will actually work against them; the NRL already have a decent rectangular stadium on the CC, why would the NRL settle for just that? They can convince state and federal governments to build new NRL quality stadiums where they don't already exist. I think Rudd in his pork barrelling has already committing to build a new stadium for Central QLD if they gain entry. Look at how the AFL is dotting every Australian metropolitan area with quality infrastructure to support their game. NRL will rightly follow suit.

Sorry but the writing is on the wall for the CC Bears bid (at least this time round). Convincing numnut Gallop was their last chance.

20 team comp is also a pipe dream; David Smith ain't gonna buy into that. People have already complained he has moved too slowly appointing he's team (I think he has only appointed 2?). The guy is meticulous, conservative and strategic. I imagine a 20 team comp has way too many variables to fully understand its ramifications, especially since it didn't work out so well in recent memory.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why would young kids living on the North Shore have any affinity to a team that got the chop before they were born, and why would they choose to support them if they re entered the competition playing on the Central Coast?

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
There a many areas of Melbourne not really represented by AFL clubs...

IE - Nearly every suburb outside of a 7 km ring of the city,,,,

Does this stop people from suburban areas supporting a team?

NRL needs to understand their teams are brands not suburbs...

I support Parramatta but have never lived within 80 km of Parramatta,

Souths are the only ones that seem to get it..

docbrown

Coach
If we're looking at a 20-team model, there's a lot going for this one. Lock-in those 4 for priority in expansion

With the same number of teams we had in 1995, we get the same reach - including 3 SE Queensland teams - *plus* the Central Coast, second NZ team and Melbourne.

Expansion past that would need some population growth or grassroots development in markets like Adelaide, NT or Central Queensland, whereas the 4 that docbrown suggests are "good to go" in the near future.

With that in mind, the NRL also needs to set-up development plans for strategic locations that won't be in the 20-team competition. That includes NRL games in places like Adelaide, Darwin, Cairns, Hamilton & Dunedin.

Agree with all of that.

So if it's taken the WARL less then a decade to get to where they are now without much money or much in the way of resources imagine what we'd be able to do if we actually put in an effort to grow the game in the areas that we want to expand to with the money and resources that we have now.

It's true that money and resources can do a lot but to let the Central Coast & North Shore wither for another 10-20 years whilst we pin our hopes on some long term resurrection in Adelaide is Gallop-style vision. Not to mention that growth in Sydney & Central Coast is far out pacing South Australia's minor population growth.

Again blaming a defunct club for the games woes in North Sydney is a stretch.

If you think the NRL should give up trying to be the number one sport if the CC Bears are not included you are delusional.

Learn to read champ.

I actually said - If the NRL can't work towards a 20 team comp with the Central Coast Bears, West Coast Pirates, South Queensland/SW Brisbane and Wellington-Christchurch NZ2 all included then they should just give up now about ever trying to be the number one sport.

All 4 areas/clubs are important to the future of the game. Currently it appears that there is no conclusive/coordinated strategy for these (and other) areas.

But that's precisely the point; we now have the ARLC to decide the future direction of the game - not any single bid.

The ARLC will rather:

And as I've said before on other threads then if they know next year that the Central Coast Bears are unlikely to happen now or say within the next 15 years then they need to put that bid out of its misery.

If they think that Brisbane, Adelaide and New Zealand are more likely future locations then they need to consider the scenario of setting up the Bears brand in one of those locations. For mine throwing the Bears brand altogether is a mistake. The VFL didn't throw away the Lions or Swans brands because they had existing brand awareness. Indeed setting up in a place like Adelaide or New Zealand may actually be easier if the Bears brand is involved.

Some of the questions that need to be answered next year-
What are the next 2 expansion clubs?
What is going to happen to the Bears brand?
What is the long term plan for reengaging the North Shore?
What is the long term plan for the Central Coast?

Again to not answer them is akin to Gallop-style vision.

Why would young kids living on the North Shore have any affinity to a team that got the chop before they were born, and why would they choose to support them if they re entered the competition playing on the Central Coast?

The timing is everything and every passing year the NRL is frittering away a potential audience. I agree that 15-20 years from now that would all be perfectly valid but there's still plenty of fans and families that grew up with the Bears and would re-embrace them.

docbrown

Coach
NRL needs to understand their teams are brands not suburbs...

I support Parramatta but have never lived within 80 km of Parramatta,

Souths are the only ones that seem to get it..

Yes that's the model all Sydney clubs need to follow. You can have a home enclave but ultimately they all need to become Sydney-wide teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears won't want to be anywhere other than nsw as they know they will have very little, if any, say on the running of the NRL club in another state. Don't be fooled, this is about the north Sydney bears owning an NRL club not some romantic notion of bringing back a lost brand to the top flight.

Smith seems to have a vision and it doesn't have another nsw club anytime soon.

Manly are in real danger of becoming the next cronulla. They have been able to gloss over their off field inadequacies by winning games but as we know that doesn't last forever. A broke-down brookvale, small catchment and ltd revenue are very real problems they are going to have to address if they are to stay relevant in years ahead. The Manly-north shore sea eagles with a remit and backing of the NRL seems to make sense. The NRL needs to show leadership and both force the issue and dangle a financial carrot to motivate manly to do it properly.

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
Mate, it's already been done. I live in Pymble - you can't really get more North Shore than that and Rugby League in junior form is pretty much non existant.

Soccer, AFL, Rugby Union and cricket all have a presence but League is nowhere to be found until you get to Belrose which is officially part of the Northern Beaches and not the North Shore.

The Central Coast Bears have done bits and pieces with the local Public Schools but that was a few years ago now. Without funding the CC Bears are going to struggle to do anything in the area.

I can see why the Bears don't want Manly promoting themselves in the area, but they really shouldn't have a choice. If you walk around the schools the one thing "League" you do see is kids in Manly gear. The kids have voted with their feet and have started following Manly. The Bears have been gone too long to get kids to support them. Manly should be given the opportunity to develop the area under the understanding that if the Bears ever come back in the area will revert to Norths.

Manly would then need to take a risk on the area - one which I think is well worth their taking.
Yeah, I'd agree, few places still have strong League support at the junior level, and those that do play against Manly juniors. Kids that are into League on the North Shore are predominately Manly fans- it needs to be formalised and the area made part of Manly's catchment.
I have got a couple of work mates that live on the lower North Shore (Mosman & Cremorne). Their first love is Union, but they used to follow the Bears.

Now their kids are mad Manly fans.

Manly should be taking over this area.
I work on the North Shore and also go out a lot there. My work mates that live on the North Shore are mostly in their early-late 20s, not one of them is a Bears supporter. Most follow the Wallabies and Manly. I've asked them if they'd support the Bears if they returned on the CC, most said no, that they don't like going to the Central Coast, and they didn't really care about the Bears.

That's the case for mostly everyone under 30 on the North Shore (especially those in their teens and younger)- they don't care about the Bears, their return would mean very little to them, especially considering that they'd be based on the CC.
The reality is the North Shore is never going to have a full time team (sorry but Manly just don't cut it and that's partly by their own choice) so at best they're only ever going to be able to have a team that gives them a minor presence in the competition.
And why wouldn't Manly cut it, given 20 years to work with the area and the full support of the NRL? You're thinking too much in the present, and too much of the old Bears supporters. You have to think of the future, and of the juniors and kids on the North Shore.
But a minor presence is better than no presence at all and to Bears fans (who clearly still exist in significant numbers that rival some current NRL clubs) and to those in the region who support the game but only have weak club affiliation, a club that builds upon a previous local history that also proactively tries to engage with their area will have a strong appeal.

You keep talking about Manly filling that role but again they've had a decade to fill the hole yet the hole's still there. Manly will benefit from renewed interest in the region and yes there will be fans that start to choose between the Bears & Sea Eagles.
You're criticising Manly for not yet filling that hole, but that's ignoring that Manly had to rebuild their support on the Northern Beaches first, were left almost broke from the merger, and until recently, were hated on the North Shore. If Manly jumped straight in after the death of the Bears, they would have been blasted for it and it would've set any efforts they were prepared to make back a long time. It's now been a decade, the hatred has faded significantly, Norths' juniors play in a comp with Manly's juniors, and Manly's finances are much more stable than they were. Add to that the fact that there's more money coming into the game and a bigger grant for each club- now is the perfect time for Manly to take the area.
But remember this is only part of the Central Coast Bears bid. The Central Coast is a bigger market and will continue to out grow several existing NRL teams market's. To have no plan for the region is a joke.
Note that I agree that the CC should get a team down the track, but not while Sydney has 9 teams, and not the CC Bears, if they were to hang onto the North Shore.
I actually agree with that but that doesn't mean that CC Bears/Manly paradigm has little or no benefit. All the expansion areas have different benefits to the game.
That's right, only the West Coast Pirates and Brisbane 2 have a lot, lot more to offer the game than the CC at the moment.
I agree about the lack of support from the NRL but to keep blaming your problems on a dormant club currently with little power is a bit much.
As I've been saying, Manly has tried to do work on the North Shore, and keeps getting Florimo and co running off to the NSWRL, complaining about us. We still do, but when you finally break through the drama and red tape, and get reps at events, players doing school visits etc. organised and happening, you've still got Florimo watching us and trying to prevent us from spreading into the area. In the past few years Manly's done school visits, and, no joke, Florimo and co. will organise for Bears NSW Cup players to attend as well, at the same schools.

No other club who has dropped to NSW Cup antagonises another club and their efforts like that.

Manly's first concern is the Northern Beaches, we have a limited budget and development work to do here as well, we shouldn't have to put up with anything like that when trying to develop the North Shore.
Isolation? There's an entire city to expand to. You don't see clubs like South Sydney complaining about being surrounded/isolated.

They've expanded their club city-wide (in the same manner that AFL teams have grown outside their enclaves) and that's why they'll prosper.

As much as you want it to, "gifting" (even if that were possible) Manly the North Shore & Central Coast isn't going to solve the divide between the haves and have nots and it's a stop-gap solution at best.
And how well has this worked for Cronulla? That idea isn't going to work for every club. By the way, I'm not saying Manly should be given the Central Coast- I'm arguing against the CC + NS idea, which I think is a terrible idea for the North Shore long term in terms of RL support and strength.
What would happen if Manly abandoned Brookvale for a new stadium if it was built not too far away? Say at Frenchs Forest? How about Chatswood?
Frenchs Forest could maybe work, I'm not sure where though- it is accessible from Warringah Rd, Wakehurst Pkwy and Allambie Rd, which is a big plus. Chatswood- possibly, the big worry is how congested the area is though. Chatswood Oval could be a site that could be used, but the streets around it are so narrow and busy, it'd make getting into and out of a nightmare.

What makes Brookvale good is that it's on the main bus line- it's super easy to get a bus there, plus it's also only 20-45 minutes away from a lot of North Shore locations by bus.

The ARLC will rather:
Exactly right.
The CC bears were always planning on playing 2-3 games a year at North Sydney oval..
"Will all our home games be played at Gosford?
All of our home games will be played at Bluetongue Stadium except for one. We will endeavour to play the Heritage round at North Sydney Oval along with possibly one trial game."
The timing is everything and every passing year the NRL is frittering away a potential audience. I agree that 15-20 years from now that would all be perfectly valid but there's still plenty of fans and families that grew up with the Bears and would re-embrace them.
Exactly- the CC Bears would lead to a short term burst in popularity on the North Shore amongst their old fans, but long term, it's a terrible idea. We have to think about what will happen to the area in 15-20 years time and not go for the short term shot in the arm that old Bears fans would provide.

Last edited:

papabear

Juniors

Turramurra need a Junior Rugby League side.

To be fair though their are more norths juniors then easts.

juro

Bench
Turramurra need a Junior Rugby League side.

To be fair though their are more norths juniors then easts.
There's not a lot of choices for people around the upper north shore. Asquith to the north, Frenchs Forest and Belrose to the east. North Ryde, Lane Cove and Willoughby to the south. None of these are all that convenient.

How hard would it be to establish a club for juniors?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Isn't the jnr development in these areas the job of the NSWRL? Surely they should be responsible for identifying gaps and getting clubs up and running and resourced with the support of funding from the ARLC? I find it weird in Sydney RL that NRL clubs have so much responsibility for Jnr RL (although I do understand the Leagues club existence and its role in funding jnr sport) when the clubs themselves receive little money for it.

elbusto

Coach
Isn't the jnr development in these areas the job of the NSWRL? Surely they should be responsible for identifying gaps and getting clubs up and running and resourced with the support of funding from the ARLC? I find it weird in Sydney RL that NRL clubs have so much responsibility for Jnr RL (although I do understand the Leagues club existence and its role in funding jnr sport) when the clubs themselves receive little money for it.
I agree Red. When I read these threads I just shake my head. Surely, if we have a low presence in an area like this, we should just be hitting them with growth programs?

If the AFL can grow there, (see above) why can't we?