What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu to Union

I thought this deserved its own thread:

Tate right for code switch

Peter Badel

November 26, 2006 12:00am

QUEENSLAND and Test star Brent Tate has revealed he is prepared to consider a shock switch to rugby union as the ARU hatches plans to launch its latest raid on the NRL's elite.

The Sunday Mail has learnt Parramatta strike weapon Timana Tahu is also contemplating defecting to Australia's Rugby World Cup campaign in 2011.:shock:

The Wallabies' diabolical tour of Europe has spotlighted the lack of depth in Australian rugby, prompting ARU boss Gary Flowers to reveal the code's high-performance unit had discussed pilfering rugby league talent after next year's World Cup.

Tate, who is off contract at the end of next season, has never played rugby.

But the 24-year-old says his next deal will be potentially the most important of his career and he would consider any Australian Rugby Union interest.

"I have next year at the Broncos and I'm happy there but I'd certainly be open to it (joining rugby). If the ARU was keen, I'd have a look at it," said Tate, who played for the Kangaroos in last night's Tri-Nations final against the Kiwis.

"There's a lot of things to consider. It would be a big decision to go but it doesn't matter if it's another league club or rugby union, you have to be professional and look at it.

"It's a professional age now. I know better than anybody that it could end tomorrow. (Tate wears a special neck brace after a series of career-threatening injuries).

"It's a business now, both from the clubs' and the players' point of view, and you have to make a business decision."

Tate revealed he seriously considered leaving the Broncos in 2002, the year Justin Hodges rocked the club by joining the Roosters.

Since then Tate has won a grand final and played for Queensland and Australia.

"There's still a fair bit I'd like to achieve in league, but I'd look at other options," he said.

"I like rugby, I reckon it's a good game. I'm good mates with LT (Wallabies and NSW flyer Lote Tuqiri) and I watch the Super 14 and Test matches."

ARU high-performance manager Pat Wilson said he would talk to any National Rugby League player who was the right fit for the 15-a-side code.

"From our perspective the door is open for any league player who can make the transition to supplement the talent we already possess," he said.

"In saying that, we have some great kids coming through our own system and that's where our focus remains."

Former Wallaby Wendell Sailor, who played with Tate at the Broncos, said the Maroons three-quarter would be a revelation in rugby and urged Reds coach Eddie Jones to make a play for him.

"Brent is a natural. He'd be a sensation in rugby," Sailor said. "The Broncos would be crazy to let Brent go but if I was Eddie Jones I'd be having a serious look at Tatey.

"He's coming into the prime of his career. He runs great lines and he can play centre or wing."

http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/st...-10389,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
As I said in a previous thread we've really got to be sensible about this and not compete with the ARU, we need to look at the bigger picture..T is replaceable.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Johns Magic said:
He said that last time he was off-contract. Then he signed with you bastards.

well, if he's fairdinkum he'll sign with the ARU, he'll be 28 by the time he starts playing than 31 by 2011 WC.

We'll just have to wait and see.

strider

Post Whore
he'd probably be a pretty good union player .... but yeah he'll be gettin on a bit by 2011 - how old is matt rogers now? i think union consider him a bit old now

fish eel

Immortal
I think 'Tahu to Union' is a bit of a dramatic title for this thread.

Where is the source/quote/evidence linking Tahu with Union?

The article is about Tate.

Hellsy

Immortal
If in 2011 he wants to try himself at another top level sport I say good luck to him

Tate - Let him go... he is rubbish

stuke

Bench
Fitzgerald should just sit him down and make him watch all of the games from this years European tour....that should be enough to keep him away from Union.

rowdy

First Grade
al baxter - 29, brendan cannon - 33, stephan larkham - 32, chris latham - 31, stirling mortlock - 29, mat rogers - 30, nathan sharpe - 28, scott staniforth - 29...

it would depend on the position as to how old you could be, and these guys are senior players. there are lots of younger ones coming through, so he'd have to make the wallabies first, but i think he would go alright

bartman

Immortal
2011? Geez, they have to get through their next RU world cup before worrying about the one after. No national team develops or supplements itself over four years in advance.

Must've been a slow news day in the Qld Sunday Mail...

Latest posts