What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Takeover bid to rock Manly - Another one joins the good guys!

BM1979

Juniors
I would take every single number 9 at Saints ahead of Ennis, including the sluggish service of Youngy.

Cmon, you cant be serious about Youngy , I dont think Ennis is a superstar or anything but still love to have him at the dogs.

Young is just a hack who just lives off his old man's name

Hutty1986

Immortal
Cmon, you cant be serious about Youngy , I dont think Ennis is a superstar or anything but still love to have him at the dogs.

Might need to watch some Dragons games I think, Youngy is one of the most consistent players going around

perverse

Referee
with Souths going for pocket change... and this tiny "hostile" bid for Manly... it kinda makes me feel pretty good about the $30mill+ over 10 years we managed from Tinkler.

$5.5 million seems like piss all?

grouch

First Grade

Young has 3 things that Ennis doesn't

a premiership ring
a Test jersey
a forehead

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they can fix the board (which if he buys this germ out) i think is a huge step in the right direction, they clearly have a talented roster overall, and if toovey can prove to be 1/10th of the coach Des is then they aren't in to bad of shape provided they don't lose alot of players.

Being succesful for the recent years has to carry some good exposure so surely if a smart man can get ahold of them and cut the crap it would have to start turning a profit at sometime.

Prime example is the Knights. While he might be a out and out prick he obviously is very business smart, has the money to back it, and will no doubt take the Knights back to a positive club, something they haven't been for how long?

The thing i heard with the deals he was doing for membership is a perfect example, he might lose money to start with on the discounts etc they doing however overall it will drag more heads and eventually lead to more return and higher turn over. Has to have money to be able to do it but also is a smart move for a struggling club with turnover before he got hold of it.

True and I'm not knocking any investment in RL, but, Manly have a ground that is a major factor in low crowd appeal and corporate support. The ground is unlikely to get any better anytime soon. Despite a wining team their crowds remain at best average so where are the extra people coming from? If the CC Bears come in then corporate $'s are going to be even harder to get for Manly than they are now (and they seem to struggle with sponsors as it is) so where is this turn around going to come from? At least the other clubs like Sth's can hope that a winning team will draw in teh crowds, Manly desn;t have that hope based on history.

Again I think it is great someone wants to invest heavily in teh club, I am just interested why you would choose Manly unless you was a massive Manly fan? Is the guy who owns this company a Manly fan?

re Knights, they have the crowd base and stadium to make a real go of it, and Tinkler has a vested interest in being the white knight of Newcastle and keeping the Council and Govt onside, that is probably more his motivation than a desire to see the Knights prosper imo.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Young has 3 things that Ennis doesn't

a premiership ring
a Test jersey
a forehead

Yeh and Ennis has something young doesnt, skill to be a top player. Not a nuffie who just jumped on the wayne express. Was never noted along with creagh etc, and now he's gone look whos out of the rep jerseys again. Won't be back anytime soon either.

firechild

First Grade
Again I think it is great someone wants to invest heavily in teh club, I am just interested why you would choose Manly unless you was a massive Manly fan? Is the guy who owns this company a Manly fan?

People (businesses) want to be associated with successful clubs. If Parramatta, Souths and Cronulla can attract corporate partnerships after countless years of failure, surely Manly is not the black hole you make it out to be. IF the board can get the ground development ball rolling then that solves that issue. What else is stopping Manly from being a successful club financially if they can solve the problem of a ground that lacks corporate features? Warringah council has just approved the next stage of upgrades that will add 1400 seats at the northern end of the Jane try stand. As muxh as we would all like to see major renovations done, these small steps are important in that it means there are more members seats available for sale by the club.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
True and I'm not knocking any investment in RL, but, Manly have a ground that is a major factor in low crowd appeal and corporate support. The ground is unlikely to get any better anytime soon. Despite a wining team their crowds remain at best average so where are the extra people coming from? If the CC Bears come in then corporate $'s are going to be even harder to get for Manly than they are now (and they seem to struggle with sponsors as it is) so where is this turn around going to come from? At least the other clubs like Sth's can hope that a winning team will draw in teh crowds, Manly desn;t have that hope based on history.

re Knights, they have the crowd base and stadium to make a real go of it, and Tinkler has a vested interest in being the white knight of Newcastle and keeping the Council and Govt onside, that is probably more his motivation than a desire to see the Knights prosper imo.

Fair comment mate, but who knows if someone can throw some coin at manly and the facility and get rid of those nuffies in the boardroom who know's right?

DoggiesBro

Juniors
People (businesses) want to be associated with successful clubs. If Parramatta, Souths and Cronulla can attract corporate partnerships after countless years of failure, surely Manly is not the black hole you make it out to be. IF the board can get the ground development ball rolling then that solves that issue. What else is stopping Manly from being a successful club financially if they can solve the problem of a ground that lacks corporate features? Warringah council has just approved the next stage of upgrades that will add 1400 seats at the northern end of the Jane try stand. As muxh as we would all like to see major renovations done, these small steps are important in that it means there are more members seats available for sale by the club.

The problem is those member seats don't sell, and your board couldn't get a bowling ball rolling.

firechild

First Grade
Way to miss the point Einstein. This whole thread is about URM attempting to buy out the 40% stake owned by Penn sport (you'd think you'd have known that since you started the thread). That means that URM would take 2 places on the board and therefore could change the direction of the club to take advantage of this. Commenting on the current board is just geniused when a change at board level is what is being discussed.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Way to miss the point Einstein. This whole thread is about URM attempting to buy out the 40% stake owned by Penn sport (you'd think you'd have known that since you started the thread). That means that URM would take 2 places on the board and therefore could change the direction of the club to take advantage of this. Commenting on the current board is just geniused when a change at board level is what is being discussed.

You are the one who said if the board can get the stadium fixed etc, don't think you can pretend that the current board isn't involved in that. Good try champ.

firechild

First Grade
Yes, in relation to Perth Red asking why anyone would want to invest in the club. If they (URM) invest in the club they get votes on the board. Bottom line is, everything we are discussing is on the proviso that the board will change and therefore it is speculation as to what the new board could do with the resources they have available to them, which one of those is expansion of the western grand stand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
cheers, yes makes sense he is a supporter. It's interesting how some clubs can attract sponsors with no relation to the club and others are pretty much reliant on a fan also being a chairman of a company who comes in to support the club. Nothing wrong with either but it is probably reflective of a clubs corporate profile I guess?

Given how much money some of the Manly board are putting in year on year to cover running losses you'd want to be confident this guy will do the same if needed. Buying the club is one thing, finding $1-2mill a year to chip in to balance the books is another.

Talons

Juniors
cheers, yes makes sense he is a supporter. It's interesting how some clubs can attract sponsors with no relation to the club and others are pretty much reliant on a fan also being a chairman of a company who comes in to support the club. Nothing wrong with either but it is probably reflective of a clubs corporate profile I guess?

Given how much money some of the Manly board are putting in year on year to cover running losses you'd want to be confident this guy will do the same if needed. Buying the club is one thing, finding $1-2mill a year to chip in to balance the books is another.

I agree with all your saying, As a life long Manly supporter it's a bit of a worry that we can't seem to attract substantial ongoing business sponsorship. I still remember the good old days of Wormald, Pepsi and Pioneer.

One thing I do know about the club is she's a pretty resilient old girl, from being only 24hrs from closing our doors we have risen to win 2 premierships and 3 grand final appearances, all in the space of 7yrs.

Like all supporters at times I tend to look at my club through rose colored glasses but I'm pretty confident the board will sort there shit out and put together a long term business strategy that includes the upgrading of Brookie oval and long term financial stability.

Latest posts