What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talakai

greg jay

Juniors
For me I'd like to see Goodwin replace Talakai in the centres and and Burns come onto the wing.
Goodwin has always been very good defensively in the centres and it's obviously our weakest area defensively right now.
Hunt/Jennings Centres until Aaron returns. Fuimaono should be on the bench with Murray. Fuimaono can also play loose forward positions. Goodwin and Burns on The Flanks. Give YOUTH a chance as much as possible. Have to see if these youngsters can play.

greg jay

Juniors
It's was obvious even before this game that his defense wasn't first grade level. When I looked at the team list I had a feeling we'd be fine in the forwards but that our big weakness was our defense out wide (Talakai and Jennings). Jennings was better. Talakai is only young so he will probably improve, but he can't be kept in first grade because we'll lose too many games waiting for that to happen. He should be dropped to NSW Cup until his defense is much better. I think Fuimaono should get a chance in the centres.
Maguire has to see if Fuimaono CAN PLAY. What in heavens name is he waiting for? Like a mid round NFL Draft pick young with size and athleticism but Coach will not play him. A Waste.

alien

Referee
Hymel Hunt returned to action and guess what?? Smiths Crisps should have scored THIRTY. In their previous 4 games SANS Hunt [and Gray} The Crisps averaged a paltry 12 ppg. That will not be your Grandmother!!! Yes Hunt has flaws but he is STRONG and can make a break and he can set up TDs.
It's a shame the ref wasn't The Gobbledock! He loves the Smith's Crisps!

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Hunt's experience was outstanding against the broncos.
It was talakai's birthday last week so that could be a potential reason why Madge didn't drop him last week. I think he'll be inclined to switch things up.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Could it possibly be that Talaki is the best current option at centre?
people are calling for Fuimano but how many have actually seen him play? I've only seen him once in the knights game and he didn't do anything that stood out. Talaki outplayed him in that game. I'm sure the coaching staff, who watch both train and play week in and week out have their reasons for preferring Talaki. I don't believe they play favourites. Coaching is to cut throat a business to play a guy simply because you like him over an other guy.

Some of the other options don't make much sense. Hunt to centre with burns at wing isn't an improvement. Burns makes as many mistakes as talaki. We need a long term winger, so giving hunt game time their works in our favor, while we wait for Gray's return. Moving Goodwin to centre is even worse as he comes with his own defensive issues.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Could it possibly be that Talaki is the best current option at centre?
people are calling for Fuimano but how many have actually seen him play? I've only seen him once in the knights game and he didn't do anything that stood out. Talaki outplayed him in that game. I'm sure the coaching staff, who watch both train and play week in and week out have their reasons for preferring Talaki. I don't believe they play favourites. Coaching is to cut throat a business to play a guy simply because you like him over an other guy.

Some of the other options don't make much sense. Hunt to centre with burns at wing isn't an improvement. Burns makes as many mistakes as talaki. We need a long term winger, so giving hunt game time their works in our favor, while we wait for Gray's return. Moving Goodwin to centre is even worse as he comes with his own defensive issues.

In regards to the first part I don't think that's completely true. Coach's could just as easily form bonds with players as they get to know them more and more. That would make it more difficult to drop players if you know what their situations/external life is like because maybe you would think they could bounce back or you have a bias personal opinion of them. I don't think there's anything wrong with coaches having bonds with players because it tends to bring out the best in them.

You're right about talakai. He is our best option unfortunately until gray returns which is supposed to be in 2 rounds. Fuimaono should purely focus on playing in the forwards because when Sutton goes we're gonna need more of these younger forwards stepping up ready to rock the NRL.

southsport

First Grade
Talakai is very dangerous with the ball close to the tryline, that's an area we have had problems with and probably why Madge selects him.

callmack1

Staff member
You're right about talakai. He is our best option unfortunately until gray returns which is supposed to be in 2 rounds. Fuimaono should purely focus on playing in the forwards because when Sutton goes we're gonna need more of these younger forwards stepping up ready to rock the NRL.
Well, we'll only be without Gray for the game against Manly because the competition pauses for one round due to Rep Round.

greg jay

Juniors
Hunt and Jennings in The Centres. When these two played against manly manly manly weeks back the team scored 38 and should have got into the 40s. Talakiai - if selected at all - should be on the Bench. Play him as loose forward as the game progresses. Re Fuimaono: We have NOT seen him play in The Firsts. He is over 6ft. Athletic. Junior National rep player. Bigger and better credentialed than is Talakai. We need to SEE him PLAY before passing judgement. Fuimaono to me looks ready to rumble but Maguire refuses to UNLEASH THE BEAST!!!

greg jay

Juniors
Well, we'll only be without Gray for the game against Manly because the competition pauses for one round due to Rep Round.
Aaron is apparently back running and cycling. He should be ready to rumble.Been so for several weeks. Maguire must get desperate. He could be playing this week. I would not be surprised. The team needs a BIG WIN and to take out the frustrations of the past two games [both of which were winnable]. Hunt si ready now get Aaron with him. 4-1 as starters at the end of last season. Gray would love to cancel out Walker his best pal!!! And...Who better to assault than manly manly manly!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Aaron is apparently back running and cycling. He should be ready to rumble.Been so for several weeks. Maguire must get desperate. He could be playing this week. I would not be surprised. The team needs a BIG WIN and to take out the frustrations of the past two games [both of which were winnable]. Hunt si ready now get Aaron with him. 4-1 as starters at the end of last season. Gray would love to cancel out Walker his best pal!!! And...Who better to assault than manly manly manly!!!
I really hope he's back.

greg jay

Juniors
Talakai is very dangerous with the ball close to the tryline, that's an area we have had problems with and probably why Madge selects him.
Talakai should be used as a FORWARD working the middle and fringes of the Ruck. Use him off the bench as a FORWARD. Used in this format the 20 yr old Tugg Boat could become a weapon!!! The Boat is too small and too slow as an outside back. Nice polite young chap but his only real future in A Grade is as a backrower off the bench at first.