What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talakai

Scoopdog

Juniors
Could it possibly be that Talaki is the best current option at centre?
people are calling for Fuimano but how many have actually seen him play? I've only seen him once in the knights game and he didn't do anything that stood out. Talaki outplayed him in that game. I'm sure the coaching staff, who watch both train and play week in and week out have their reasons for preferring Talaki. I don't believe they play favourites. Coaching is to cut throat a business to play a guy simply because you like him over an other guy.

Some of the other options don't make much sense. Hunt to centre with burns at wing isn't an improvement. Burns makes as many mistakes as talaki. We need a long term winger, so giving hunt game time their works in our favor, while we wait for Gray's return. Moving Goodwin to centre is even worse as he comes with his own defensive issues.
Could talakai give a warriors 2nd rower 15mts start after turning and catch him in 65mts?who outplayed who when they played blacktown?who stopped a 120kg front rower with a 1on1 tackle a metre out from the line yesterday?only time will tell who is the better option.i know which one has the more potential!

DiegoNT

First Grade
Could talakai give a warriors 2nd rower 15mts start after turning and catch him in 65mts?who outplayed who when they played blacktown?who stopped a 120kg front rower with a 1on1 tackle a metre out from the line yesterday?only time will tell who is the better option.i know which one has the more potential!
So the question has to be asked, why hasn't the coaching staff picked fuimano over talaki, especially since talaki hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
The coaching staff have their reasons, they work with both day in and day out and analyze every minute of every game they play.

southsport

First Grade
So the question has to be asked, why hasn't the coaching staff picked fuimano over talaki, especially since talaki hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
The coaching staff have their reasons, they work with both day in and day out and analyze every minute of every game they play.

It's a hard one to figure out considering Sifa's continued defensive lapses.

CAFPOW

Juniors

Maybe the reasons they picked Talakai over Fuimaono is that, Talakai was at Souths first, therefore they know him well. Plus, Fuimaono played mostly at 2nd row last season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Maybe the reasons they picked Talakai over Fuimaono is that, Talakai was at Souths first, therefore they know him well. Plus, Fuimaono played mostly at 2nd row last season.
Talakai next season should only be used at centre when we really need him.

He should be moved to the back row off the bench/on standby if a couple of injuries hit in the forwards.

CAFPOW

Juniors
Talakai next season should only be used at centre when we really need him.

He should be moved to the back row off the bench/on standby if a couple of injuries hit in the forwards.

Yup.. Talakai to the Centers as last resort.

CAFPOW

Juniors
Moceidreke also should have been one of those as last resort players as well, but he was over hyped by fans and the media for scoring 4 tries for the Bears where his only effort is jogging to the try line and putting the ball down. I hope I am wrong but If we're going for those type of players for this season and the next, players with no aggression, no passion. We will never make the 8.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Moceidreke also should have been one of those as last resort players as well, but he was over hyped by fans and the media for scoring 4 tries for the Bears where his only effort is jogging to the try line and putting the ball down. I hope I am wrong but If we're going for those type of players for this season and the next, players with no aggression, no passion. We will never make the 8.
I have to say I think you're spot on actually.

It was like when our supporters wanted Murphy to get more of a go. TBH he didn't cut the mustard either.

Let's hope Hiroti develops well.

Travitoh

First Grade

Moceidreke was a last resort option. It was either him or Neilson.
I like him, he has a lot of raw talent. Whether he develops into an NRL winger remains to be seen but we could do much worse

CAFPOW

Juniors
Moceidreke was a last resort option. It was either him or Neilson.
I like him, he has a lot of raw talent. Whether he develops into an NRL winger remains to be seen but we could do much worse

That's true, but we could have went with Tasi. Madge likes to say things like "Working hard". Now, If you're going to pick players based on effort, against the Knights, Tasi should have been the one been picked not Moceidreke.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Watching highlights of the Australian schoolboys vs New Zealand squad and wow almost all of the Australian players are players that we have seen come into first grade and done a tremendous job.

1. Dylan Edwards (killed it on his panthers debut looks like a real first grader
2. Curtis Scott( didn't see much of him but there were massive wraps on his sunshine falcons form apparently he's been affected by home sickness and injury at the storm)
3. Robert Jennings (a lot of potential here)
4. Tyrell fuimaono (really want to see what he can produce in the forwards)
5. Brian Kelly (killing it at manly
6. Nathan cleary( this kid is an absolute future NSW player)
7, Lachlan croker (haven't seen much of him but apparently his the next big thing for Canberra)
8. Tevita Pantai Jr( killing it at the Broncos)
9. Jayden Nikorima (i thought he was okay for the roosters)
10. JJ Felise (don't know much about this young tiger
11. Coen Hess( we all know about this guy)
12. Jaydn Sua( absolute workhorse this guy.)
13. Tyrone May( there are a lot of wraps on him at penrith but don't know much about him

14. Junior Tatola
15. Jacob Host
16. Alex Twal
17. Connor Watson

Something that I find extremely interesting is that most of these guys are pushing for first grade spots in top teams. Some of them are already cemented.

Another thing to note is that talakai was used off the bench as a forward for the New Zealand squad. Definitely makes you think whether his defence has always been poor in the centres. It should also be noted that the New Zealand squad was less stacked with known players than the Australian squad.

Last edited:

Rsag85

Bench
That's true, but we could have went with Tasi. Madge likes to say things like "Working hard". Now, If you're going to pick players based on effort, against the Knights, Tasi should have been the one been picked not Moceidreke.

Moceidreke was picked on his four try performance but did you see how easy those four try's where? Any one could of scored them. Tasi isn't that great as well there is no real stand outs in the outside backs for the bears which is the issue plus Tasi is playing in the forwards so I don't understand how he is the answer to the problem.

CAFPOW

Juniors
Moceidreke was picked on his four try performance but did you see how easy those four try's where? Any one could of scored them. Tasi isn't that great as well there is no real stand outs in the outside backs for the bears which is the issue plus Tasi is playing in the forwards so I don't understand how he is the answer to the problem.

Yup. Those were very easy tries. I think Tasi was named on the bench against the Knights. But he scored a try on effort and nearly scored a 2nd try but tackled inches from the line. The rest of the Bears Backs did almost nothing against the Knights.

greg jay

Juniors
Talakai should only be utilised as a loose FORWARD. He is too slow and heavy legged for an outside back. Use him orf the Bench as loose forward and Maguire may have an impact player.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Talakai should only be utilised as a loose FORWARD. He is too slow and heavy legged for an outside back. Use him orf the Bench as loose forward and Maguire may have an impact player.

I agree mate I'm hoping when gray returns Maguire goes down that path as well.

Rsag85

Bench

Yes has a lot of power in his runs, Lessing his minutes I think will help his defence too

Rsag85

Bench
Yup. Those were very easy tries. I think Tasi was named on the bench against the Knights. But he scored a try on effort and nearly scored a 2nd try but tackled inches from the line. The rest of the Bears Backs did almost nothing against the Knights.

Yes fans who just saw that he scored 4 try's on the day and didn't really see how he scored those try's where demanding him to be picked, he also has some defence issues which where found out on his debut game the week after in first grade. The two centres in the under 20's look better then the outside backs for the bears

CAFPOW

Juniors
Yes fans who just saw that he scored 4 try's on the day and didn't really see how he scored those try's where demanding him to be picked, he also has some defence issues which where found out on his debut game the week after in first grade. The two centres in the under 20's look better then the outside backs for the bears

Well, I hope the 2 Centers from U20's don't go through the Bears. Gardiner might have them playing at Prop at stage. Seriously, what's up with Gardiner's weekly chopping and changing with his lineup? His constant chopping and changing of his lineup is the only thing consistent about his team.