What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talented Taylor still frustrating his fans

Adrian Proszenko

May 15, 2011

IF David Taylor frustrates you, John Lang can feel your pain.
Taylor, a big man with big talent, took a big step towards booking a place in the Queensland Origin team with a dominant display against the Wests Tigers pack.
The 120kg forward made 34 tackles and 11 hit ups to raise the question: why can't he produce that type of performance on a weekly basis?
Advertisement: Story continues below
Lang reckons he has the answer. ''The thing about Dave, Dave is an enormous talent and he hasn't fulfilled that talent yet,'' Lang said. ''I think he frustrates people because they can see this enormous talent. I think it's something [that] will gradually come through.
''This is only Dave's second full season in NRL - last year was his first full season in the NRL. I think Dave's going to become a better and better player as time goes on.
''People can see this tremendous talent and it frustrates them that he's not using it all. Sometimes having great talent can be a great challenge too. If you've only got two options, decisions are pretty easy. When you've got five options, it makes it more difficult.
''Sometimes those guys with great talent take longer to come through and fulfil their potential.''
Taylor also frustrated the referees and was pinged several times for infringements. ''Dave was involved in about four things,'' Lang said.
''I don't know whether he's talking back to the referees or got up their nose but I thought they gave him a really tough go.''
To which fellow Queensland hopeful Michael Crocker, captaining the Rabbitohs for the first time, added: ''I hope they keep doing it because it pumps him up every time.''
Lang can ill afford to lose more firepower during the interstate series given that Roy Asotasi, Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Ben Lowe and Luke Stuart will be injured or unavailable. However, the veteran mentor is resigned to losing at least one of them.
''Dave probably sealed his spot in the State of Origin tonight,'' Lang said. ''I don't want to jump ahead of myself, but if he was under threat before tonight I think he made some great strides.
''In the end I thought he had a really strong game. It's good for him but probably not so good for us because we won't have him.''
Asked about his Origin chances, Crocker said: ''Dave and I are probably playing for the same position. He's probably proven himself all year, he's been playing good minutes and playing really strong. He gives us that extra impact.
''I'd love to but we'll see what the selectors go with.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...till-frustrating-his-fans-20110514-1enp8.html

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'll put my selfish hat on say I hope he misses out on Origin. He can play next year when we have Sam back.

Mustard Keppers

Juniors
Qld would be mad to overlook him, I reckon he's one of the best players in the game. I know alot of people on here reckon he does more harm than good out wide but I wouldn't trade him for quids.

Far from frustrated with him, he always puts in and he's a handful for opposition in attack and defence.

DC_fan

Coach
Taylor does some really good things on the field. But gee he can do some really dumb things too.

Lats night when anything went wrong for Souths. My first thought was, no Taylor again. And it was Taylor on a number of occassions.

themacemaceman

Juniors
Dave is becoming a bit of an enigma. For every great thing he does, he also does something bad. The concern for me is he was penalised or dropped the ball last night (combined) on at least 5 occasions. And every time he thought he was hard done by.

Check this link
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/15/3217225.htm

This is Taylors response to Gordie's criticism.

"Gordie's got his opinions. I don't take any notice of it. I don't listen to it."

My concern is we have a player who is not going to reach is full potential because he doesnt listen to one of his coaches who incidently was a fairly handy forward. Or the players doesnt repect Gordies input. Any thoughts!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dave is becoming a bit of an enigma. For every great thing he does, he also does something bad. The concern for me is he was penalised or dropped the ball last night (combined) on at least 5 occasions. And every time he thought he was hard done by.

Check this link
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/15/3217225.htm

This is Taylors response to Gordie's criticism.

"Gordie's got his opinions. I don't take any notice of it. I don't listen to it."

My concern is we have a player who is not going to reach is full potential because he doesnt listen to one of his coaches who incidently was a fairly handy forward. Or the players doesnt repect Gordies input. Any thoughts!
Tallis crossed the line talking in the media. Right or wrong he had no right to say those things openly. It was behind closed doors talk that he choose to say openly.

I have no problem with Taylor or any other player ignoring his advice if he's going to give it in such an unhelpful manner.

thomas10do

Juniors
. The concern for me is he was penalised or !

in all honesty, we are lucky the penalties he gave away did not cost us more.had they been in the second half................anyway,still a player i would love in my side.feel free to leave him out mal.

and as for gordon, anyone else get the the sh1ts when he tips against us before a match?:x as the weeks pass by, the more time i dont have for him. loved his sheepish look after the game:D

themacemaceman

Juniors
I do agree with you there. Gordie shouldn't be saying stuff to the media he hasnt said to taylor's face. Bearing in mind the media is prone to go fishing for stories and "leads the witness" and quotes them out of context to create a story.

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
I hope he is overlooked for Origin. Even just for the first game if possible considering Warriors don't lose anyone to Origin.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
Looks like Parker is going to be in the Maroons squad in place of him it seems based on the nrl websites column.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dave is 18th man for QLD...does that mean we lose him for a game AND he doesn't get to play origin. Worst of both worlds.

On the plus side Lillyman has been picked so the Warriors are slightly weaker too.

Zigwaa

Bench
Nah he still plays for us this weekend, like Ben Lowe did last year.

If I was Taylor I'd be pretty p!ssed off with Gordon Tallis, those comments cost him a place in the QLD squad imo.