What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallis disgrace

Misty Bee

First Grade
I ask you, shuold an NRL board member make such comments?

From Foxsports.com

FORMER Kangaroo back-row partners Ben Kennedy and Gorden Tallis have become embroiled in a heated verbal tirade after the retired Queensland enforcer accused the Blues Origin hard man of "diving".

In a sour fallout from the overwhelming NSW Origin series victory, Tallis has taken aim at Kennedy - claiming the Blues forward faked being injured in Origin III.

Writing in his weekly newspaper column in The Courier Mail, Tallis accused his former Australian teammate of overplaying a slightly late hit from Maroons forward Mick Crocker.

He said: "Fair dinkum, you'd see harder hits in a primary school playground ... and that's an all-girls school. Kennedy might have fooled the commentators, the video ref and some members of the public with his 'dive', but I can assure you he wouldn't have fooled one player."

Informed of the Tallis remarks, Blues star Kennedy retaliated by suggesting the only reason the incident was still an issue in Queensland was because the Maroons were "smashed".

Kennedy and Tallis starred for Australia on the 2000 World Cup tour and packed down together for the Kangaroos as starting second-rowers against New Zealand in 2002.

"I don't really care what Gorden Tallis says, to be honest with you. He's mouthed off all of his career, it's just a stock standard thing for him," Kennedy said. "Queensland have got to try and pass the buck in some way because we embarrassed them so badly by beating them in front of a huge crowd on their home ground.

"They're obviously bitter and they're trying to push people's minds away from the fact we completely smashed them. I can understand them trying to pass the buck and not really looking in their own back yard, but I don't really care."

The incident became headline news after Origin III, when Queensland forward Crocker clipped Kennedy high around the chin with a swinging arm, leaving the Blues forward ironed out on Suncorp Stadium.

Furious Queensland forwards rushed in to lift Kennedy off the ground, hurling insults at him in the belief he was play-acting.

The NSW forward, consistently one of the Blues' best throughout the Origin series, strongly rejected the claims.

Told of Kennedy's reply, Tallis again bit back last night, saying: "Ben Kennedy is very tough now that I've retired.

"He never locked horns with me when I was playing because I didn't have No.7 or No.6 on my back.

"He had plenty of chances to run at me because I called him out often enough but he never did." Referee Paul Simpkins put the incident on report and awarded NSW a penalty.

You've gotta love the QLD sportsmanship, or more to the point lack thereof, I hope that we kill them for the next 50 years in Origin, which is likely cause they've been nothing short of crap that past couple of years.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I recallTallis was the one who claimed that a third rubber shuoldn't be played when they were 0-2 down in (from memory) 2000 (the year we put 50 on them at Stadium Oz.)

I just think it's scary when NRL board members criticise players like that. Imagine the massive outcry if Arko called Wally a cat. Queenslanders have been sticking pins into NSW voodoo dolls for years just because they THINK that Wally's broken arm was an ARL conspiracy against him.

skeepe

Immortal
Good call Tallis, it's about time someone came out and said it.

If the roles were reversed and a Queenslander got hit, all you hypocritical New South Whingers would be saying exactly the same as Tallis.

No actually NSWelshman have to much pride to whinge like a pack of beaten bitch's, we admit the better team one and get over it, joy for this lol, nothing like QLD'ers reiterating what pricks they are!

Go Gordy go!

bulldog

Bench
skeepe said:
Good call Tallis, it's about time someone came out and said it.

If the roles were reversed and a Queenslander got hit, all you hypocritical New South Whingers would be saying exactly the same as Tallis.

Just keep telling yourself that, I'm sure it makes you feel a little better about another Blues domination.

Boing Boing

Juniors
He is an NRL board member and should not be making public comment on such issues. Not that I think he should even be a board member, what an idiot.

smeghead

Bench
Skeepe
I think the point is that it is coming from an NRL board member. It is just stupid on Gordons behalf

RainMan

Juniors
benmeyer said:
He is an NRL board member and should not be making public comment on such issues. Not that I think he should even be a board member, what an idiot.

Token NRL Board member. Just to keep QLD happy.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Skeepe, Tank, I take it you agree than an NRL board member should bag a player in the press?

The Tank

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Skeepe, Tank, I take it you agree than an NRL board member should bag a player in the press?

I agree with what he said. I believe Kennedy took a dive.

But I also agree with you. An NRL board member shouldn't bag a player. It's not professional.

Meanie

Juniors
Knight82 said:
No actually NSWelshman have to much pride to whinge like a pack of beaten bitch's, we admit the better team one and get over it, joy for this lol, nothing like QLD'ers reiterating what pricks they are!

Go Gordy go!

Mate piss off, there's as many NSW whingers as there are QLD whingers.

skeepe

Immortal
Misty Bee said:

No you're right there, I disagree with someone in his position making such a comment, if it came from anyone else though I would have been right behind it.

ibeme

First Grade
That's Gordon Tallis. That's what makes him who he is, and I for one am thankful that someone who isn't afraid to speak his mind is on the board.

I'm a NSWelshman, but I reckon Kennedy took a dive too. One minute he was out cold, and the next he was back in the line taking hit-ups like nothing happened?

There's no point in Tallis being on the board at all if he's just going to be a yes man. He's there because he tells it how it is.

Misty Bee

First Grade
This has nothing to do with being a yes man. It's about integrity of position.

For now on, NSW citizens know that there is a man on the board with a bias against them. The players know the same. Later in the year, a tri nations squad will be announced - ben Kennedy knows there is NRL board member who thinks he's a pussy. Can you understand the reamifications?

Boot no the other foot - not so long ago I have a long argunment with a prominent QLD fan on this site re Wally Lewis missing the ,90' roo tour. His claim was a member of the ARL board had it in for him. The ARL board member in question never went public with any criticism - it was only alledged. That Queenslander was whinging 15 years after the incident!

Tallis should resign immediately - or be reprimanded. Queenslanders can be sore losers if they like - but such comments are not on from such a person.

Latest posts