What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallis strikes twice in Taylor-made rant

May 18, 2011

DAVE TAYLOR was expecting to cop it from NSW. Instead he got a second serving from Queensland State of Origin great Gorden Tallis.
Former Brisbane, Queensland and Australian firebrand Tallis had foreshadowed Taylor's Origin axing during an interview in Perth last week, suggesting he wasn't fit or in good enough form to warrant a spot in the Maroons 17.
When that was confirmed, Tallis went back for another shot. ''The people he listens to and takes advice from don't tell him the truth,'' Tallis said after Taylor, who played all three Origin games last year, was named Queensland's 18th man.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''Wayne Bennett's told him, the Queensland selectors have told him, Johnny Lang has told him, all those guys have told him.
''Shane Webcke has told him, but he hasn't listened. Whoever is talking to Dave Taylor and telling him he is going good has to stop it.''
At the Queensland team assembly yesterday, Taylor said he hadn't read any of Tallis's comments. ''But I've definitely heard about it,'' he said. ''Everyone I've walked into has told me about it. It's a bit weird but he [Tallis] does give it to you.''
Taylor said he wasn't ''dirty'' on Tallis, whom he said had reasons for making his comments. ''Everybody who knows Gordie knows he speaks his mind,'' he said. ''You take it [the criticism] on board and try and see where they are coming from.''
Taylor's next talk will be delivered by Origin coach and Maroons great Mal Meninga, who sent him a clear message by naming him 18th man. Meninga said that Taylor knowing he was under consideration but behind a couple of players would be an experience he could learn from.
''We will talk to Dave about some of the qualities that he needs to invest in to get back into the side,'' Meninga said.
AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-twice-in-taylormade-rant-20110517-1erhh.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Coaster

Bench
He is trying to help the bloke, maybe Taylor should start listening to what they are saying, and he could reach the potential everyone sees

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
If your not gonna to listen to Gordie as a forward, you marse well give up on the bloke, far out DT, it aint that hard mate.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Tallis should be sacked. It's not about him being right or wrong, to be honest I don't care if Tallis is right or wrong on this issue, to have a go like that in public at one of your players is completely unprofessional.

I hope Maguire gets rid of him and brings in a forwards coach that knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
is taylor playing well?

yes - if you expect him to stay out wide and play as a centre..

however what you guys want is for him to play as a forward, as that's where your depth problem is...

so, the correct answer is no, taylor isn't playing well this year as he's not doing what you need to win games..

Big Sam

First Grade
Tallis should be sacked. It's not about him being right or wrong, to be honest I don't care if Tallis right or wrong on this issue, to have a go like that in public at one of your players is completely unprofessional.

Gus did it all the time as NSW coach (most famously with Andrew Johns) and I certainly wouldn't call him unprofessional. Nothing wrong with a bit of reverse psychology to rev up an underperforming player I say.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gus did it all the time as NSW coach (most famously with Andrew Johns) and I certainly wouldn't call him unprofessional. Nothing wrong with a bit of reverse psychology to rev up an underperforming player I say.
He was among our best last week and for that to not earn any praise from Tallis and for him to just keep going with the exact same criticisms he was saying before the game shows it's not about his performances.

Criticisms are for behind closed doors. If Taylor isn't listening to the coaches or to the gameplan then he should be dropped until he learns his lesson, but for a coach to embarrass a player like this in public is plain wrong.

Imagine if a player explicitly criticized a coach in public that way. IMO players deserve the same amount of respect.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Taylor is still developing and still has the occasional error/brain fart in his game, but he isn't really out of form. Arguably he could and should be doing a different job for the team given the prop injury crisis, but I don't see how he deserves special criticism at the moment.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They've obviously tired of trying to motivate him behind closed doors and are hoping a public rev up will shame him into having a f**king go.

Very desperate measure.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Cartman.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
Whether or not he should be a prop is a different question. He's not a prop at this point, every game we've put him as a second rower and he's played like a modern day second rower. If we want him to be a prop we should put the #8 or #10 on his back, if he still plays the same way then that's a different problem. But IMO the last week or two he's hardly done much to deserve this kind of criticism, public or private.

Jimmy Smooth

Juniors
is taylor playing well?

yes - if you expect him to stay out wide and play as a centre..

however what you guys want is for him to play as a forward, as that's where your depth problem is...

so, the correct answer is no, taylor isn't playing well this year as he's not doing what you need to win games..

Spot on. We bought him as a forward, though his big calling card was he could play out on the fringes, so your right, but your also wrong.

Latest posts