What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap on the Shoulder Time

I dont relate thinking Gal has gone a year to long to not giving him credit. His record and love for the club is obvious. Just as obvious as the decline in his physical abilities.
Absolute rubbish. The only thing they are doing differently is a full 80 minute Hooker. During 2014 they sparingly bought Koisau in the rest Luke who was playing 80 minutes. From 2015 onwards, Maguire went 2 hookers. That was his downfall. other than that, the game plan is identical.

snout

First Grade
Nope.
Bunnies 2014 game plan was to steamroll their way to tryline and a premiership.
The strict 2nd phase /3rd phase style of 2018 was nowhere to be seen.

Cam Murray wouldn't have made the top 25 in 2014.

. It was purely for an opportunity to play firstys.
100% If they had have been paid jsut half of what holmes is on, they would have been happy to bide their time.
Right now there is interest for Katoa. He wants to play firsts & he wants a pay check. Holmes is in his way.
IMO a great deal would be to release Holmes Sign Katoa for half & pour money into keeping Xerri.
We have a great fullback in Dugan and an able fillin with Edrick & a livewire coming through in Kennedy.
If we get Barbs back, which is unlikely, but we can hope, he will command top dollar as well.
We cant trim the Holmes fat. & come out much better off. hes just a winger.

Nope.
Bunnies 2014 game plan was to steamroll their way to tryline and a premiership.
The strict 2nd phase /3rd phase style of 2018 was nowhere to be seen.

Cam Murray wouldn't have made the top 25 in 2014.
Yep completely different. Back then they scored down the left & even Burgess scored trys through the middle. Hang ... what ...?

Who signed off on the Holmes deal?
Flanno, Gorman, someone else?
I only ask because I wonder why you never take the people who agreed to the deal to task. Not having a go mate, just curious.
I do. IMO the huge marketing appeal for Holmes , for whatever reason, probably created a situation where more than the coach was involved, in the final price.
To that, even the sycophants share the blame.
The most distasteful stuff though, is the constant speculation over whether he is staying or going. That rumour is either continually coming from him, his manager or Cronulla. All fingers point towards team Holmes, even back in his U20's days when the homesick card was used for his first contract. Irs seriously poor form.

I do. IMO the huge marketing appeal for Holmes , for whatever reason, probably created a situation where more than the coach was involved, in the final price.
To that, even the sycophants share the blame.
The most distasteful stuff though, is the constant speculation over whether he is staying or going. That rumour is either continually coming from him, his manager or Cronulla. All fingers point towards team Holmes, even back in his U20's days when the homesick card was used for his first contract. Irs seriously poor form.
Fair enough.
Do you think team Barba is doing the same in England?
And if Barba did get out of his contract by using this excuse would you be adverse to him coming back, or would you consider it poor form too?

snout

First Grade
Yep completely different. Back then they scored down the left & even Burgess scored trys through the middle. Hang ... what ...?
??????.....wheres the the 2nd phase play?

A bit of back free flowing on try last try thru a canyon up the middle as the game was over and dogs had given up.

Sharkman

Juniors
FTR our worst player by a country mile on Friday night was Lewis. he got absolutely toasted, for every try. Thats what happenswhen guys play at 70-80% fitness, like Gal & lewie currently are.

And in years past, both of these legends could operate at 70% of mere NRL mortals and still be better than all but 30 or so players.

Doesn't seem to be the case this year.

Surely

Post Whore
100% If they had have been paid jsut half of what holmes is on, they would have been happy to bide their time.
Right now there is interest for Katoa. He wants to play firsts & he wants a pay check. Holmes is in his way.
IMO a great deal would be to release Holmes Sign Katoa for half & pour money into keeping Xerri.
We have a great fullback in Dugan and an able fillin with Edrick & a livewire coming through in Kennedy.
If we get Barbs back, which is unlikely, but we can hope, he will command top dollar as well.

Yeah Dugan is great if he plays

There’s your waste of cap space

Frailty

First Grade

That Dugan who has started and finished how many games? I would say that’s bad luck, but that’s been his entire career.
That Lee who has only been producing good football this year? The same Lee that was bog average in reserve grade last season, and was forced out of Canberra because he wasn’t good enough?
Katoa is a prospect, but he didn’t exactly set the world on fire against Souths. Made a bad error on high kick.

Meanwhile, Holmes is still a young developing player who is already a QLD and Australian representative player, and is scoring at a comparable rate to Mat Rogers.
Holmes is worth his value, and I have no doubt will be an effective fullback once he is given the opportunity to develop there.

Eion

First Grade
That Dugan who has started and finished how many games? I would say that’s bad luck, but that’s been his entire career.
That Lee who has only been producing good football this year? The same Lee that was bog average in reserve grade last season, and was forced out of Canberra because he wasn’t good enough?
Katoa is a prospect, but he didn’t exactly set the world on fire against Souths. Made a bad error on high kick.

Meanwhile, Holmes is still a young developing player who is already a QLD and Australian representative player, and is scoring at a comparable rate to Mat Rogers.
Holmes is worth his value, and I have no doubt will be an effective fullback once he is given the opportunity to develop there.
The only thing I disagree on is his fullback prospects.

I think you’ve got to have a forceful personality to play there to direct troops and organise defence. It just doesn’t seem to suit him and he didnt grow into it...though I hoped he would.

He’s still young so maybe, but Val did get a significant bunch of games to settle in.

I still want him though, he turns games on the wing and can chime in for attack and can still fill in at fullback for a game here or there as a stop gap. He is comparable to rat on the wing. He’s that good there.

Card Shark

Immortal
Gallen has 15 more games to equal ET as the Sharks most capped player.
Could be a big motivation for him to keep playing.

If we make th GF, he should have it covered.

He also has about 8 games to have the most losses in rugby league history.

What will come first?

If Gallen was asked how well have you played in your last two games what would he say?

There is the biggest problem.

Card Shark

Immortal
Even though it was in the game plan, he wouldn’t realise a hit up on the 4th late in the game, when we are desperately chasing points, was not needed.

Granted he has been much better for staying out of the attack the last year & a 1/2
but it’s started to creep back in.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Even though it was in the game plan, he wouldn’t realise a hit up on the 4th late in the game, when we are desperately chasing points, was not needed.

Granted he has been much better for staying out of the attack the last year & a 1/2
but it’s started to creep back in.

It was what was needed. If it wasn’t Gal it would of been another magnet.

Souths played a compressed defence as we all saw. When we went wide on them nearly stole the game.

That run was made to drag 3-4 compressed defenders to one man and expose the flanks. That happened but overall it didn’t work because they cheated and slowed the PTB.

It was also smart because apart from the tacklers there were other blokes poised to cover an always possible offload. Sharks had them stripped by then.

I don’t even like him much but that was a designed play

Frailty

First Grade
The only thing I disagree on is his fullback prospects.

I think you’ve got to have a forceful personality to play there to direct troops and organise defence. It just doesn’t seem to suit him and he didnt grow into it...though I hoped he would.

He’s still young so maybe, but Val did get a significant bunch of games to settle in.

I still want him though, he turns games on the wing and can chime in for attack and can still fill in at fullback for a game here or there as a stop gap. He is comparable to rat on the wing. He’s that good there.

Did he, because he started the year there and lasted what, two games?
How quickly is he supposed to learn the position in first grade (fullback in 20s is much different)?
I think he showed enough in the Newcastle game, when he was licensed to roam of his wing to wherever he wanted, that he is capable of being an extremely effective player at FB.