What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

TruSaint

Referee
I agreed with everything you said until “the improving form of Burns” Ha…in all seriousness, I can’t fault the club this time for letting him go. It’s not like he’s in the prime of his career. It’s not like we’re telling Sloan, Sullivan or Amone to look else where. Sims is 33 years old, at the end of his career. He’s been given 1 more year. They’re doing him a favour to let him know early.

The Club did the right thing here, both for the team AND for Tariq.

He has a contract for next year, and now has been given time to look at other options. It would have been low had the Club dragged this on and left him club-less mid next year.

Yow

Juniors
Since 77 i think the match you are thinking of was against the titans in Toowoomba he smashed them and he also had a blinder in semi against Broncos

Draginzaaar

Bench
If he is looking for an upgrade, sorry but he's not worth it. He went well early in the year for a few games and in the blue jersey but that's about it. Since the origin series he has been bog average in fairness. His leadership would be a loss though.
65 run metres last week and 45 the week before. Just not good enough. Josh King does better than that off the bench at the Knights.

Classic overreaction from this forum yet again.

Sims will be 33 by the time the 2023 season begins and has had a long history of major leg injuries to both his legs. He’s simply not worth the money he’d be looking for in his next contract, the 600-750k per year that he’d be after would be much better spent on a younger back rower from another club. Or better yet a marquee front rower which IMO the club is in desperate need of to be contenders.

There’s been nothing said about money “he’d be looking for”. All that’s known is he’s asked about extension opportunities beyond his current contract - and that the club has effectively said “thanks but no thanks”.

I get the thought process about injuries… has he been injured this year though?

And that contradicts the club rationale of signing new players with injury history..

McCullough - given a 3 year contract at 31, a player with history of knee issues

George Burgess. Front rower who’d basically was medically retired. He’ll be 30 next year and hasn’t played since complex hip surgery, from which no one else has either had nor recovered from to play league at the highest level again..,

Again - Sims was a force in the first half of this year and was a standout at the highest level for the blues. He wasn’t a part of any bbq issues nor has done anything but respect the club and jersey he plays for…

If indeed the club has point blank rejected a continuation of his contract, irrespective of money - expectations or otherwise - it’s farcical in my opinion.

We are buying players left right and centre from the reject shop. Many are old, carry injury history, or simply haven’t cut it at other clubs. Yet - rather than consider how an impact forward like Sims can be utilised to compliment the team beyond 2022 says a lot about the lack of foresight and intelligence of this club.

The Beige V.

Drewbrees

Juniors
Tariq's stats for the season, according to zero tackle.
75 minutes per game
11 hitups "
92m "
34 tackles "
2.7 missed tackles "
1.6 tackle busts "
5 linbreaks all season
4 offloads "

Last 6 games
70 minutes per game
9.5 hitups "
74.5m "
39 tackles "
1.7 missed tackles "
1 tackle bust "
0 linbreaks
0 offloads

He had 11 x 100m games only 1 in the last 6 games.

mobels

Juniors
There’s been nothing said about money “he’d be looking for”. All that’s known is he’s asked about extension opportunities beyond his current contract - and that the club has effectively said “thanks but no thanks”.

I get the thought process about injuries… has he been injured this year though?

And that contradicts the club rationale of signing new players with injury history..

McCullough - given a 3 year contract at 31, a player with history of knee issues

George Burgess. Front rower who’d basically was medically retired. He’ll be 30 next year and hasn’t played since complex hip surgery, from which no one else has either had nor recovered from to play league at the highest level again..,

Again - Sims was a force in the first half of this year and was a standout at the highest level for the blues. He wasn’t a part of any bbq issues nor has done anything but respect the club and jersey he plays for…

If indeed the club has point blank rejected a continuation of his contract, irrespective of money - expectations or otherwise - it’s farcical in my opinion.

We are buying players left right and centre from the reject shop. Many are old, carry injury history, or simply haven’t cut it at other clubs. Yet - rather than consider how an impact forward like Sims can be utilised to compliment the team beyond 2022 says a lot about the lack of foresight and intelligence of this club.

The Beige V.
Again you’ve used two examples of people who are on sub 300k (Macca) and Burgess who’s on a 100k contact with incentives if he plays a number of games.

Sims is on a 550k+ contract at the moment as he was resigned after his best season in 2018. The next contact he signs will be his last and he played origin this year, you’re absolutely kidding yourself if you think he’s not looking for a 3+ year extension and big money. Sims can definitely play a role in the team past 2022 but again it will have to be on a heavily reduced contract, with extensions happening at a years time, which I’m sure he won’t be happy with.

The clubs doing a favour for him by informing him that he can look for another club, so he can secure his future and make big $$$s before he retires. Unfortunately the team that we’ve had for the past 3 years has not cut it and we need to look for other new players that can make a difference and an impact. Re-signing him doesn’t improve us for 2023, it does nothing but handicap us in our future as he’s already played his best footy and will wind down as each year passes.

The club needs to address its future and the signings of Sua and potentially Nuikore for second row are major upgrades in what we currently have both now and for the future, as both are 25 or below and still have their best footy in front of them.

epDragon62

First Grade
Simply, RL is a business and winning with the resources available is the name of the game. Tariq will not be in our best team in 2023 if we are moving in the right direction.

If Tariq stays next year and flourishes; great. If he leaves and flourishes; great.

I like him but we need better to become a winner again.

MarkD

Juniors
Firstly I have a lot of time for Tariq and forever he’ll be a saint… That said his club form is not up to scratch and hasn’t been so for some time.. However what I’m most pleased with is to see our club make the tough decision and look to build a squad they feel will see us return to the finals and beyond. What would be great to see is Tariq have a barnstorming 2022 and perhaps the Dragons may reverse their decision or he’ll pick up a juicy contract in England and see out his career.

thebigredv

First Grade
A nasty, nasty head collision for Tariq tonight. The sound was sickening. Straight to the plastic surgery, poor guy. Another battle scar. Hope he's doing ok and if that is his last game for us, thanks very much for your services Tariq.

Dragon for life

Juniors
Firstly I have a lot of time for Tariq and forever he’ll be a saint… That said his club form is not up to scratch and hasn’t been so for some time.. However what I’m most pleased with is to see our club make the tough decision and look to build a squad they feel will see us return to the finals and beyond. What would be great to see is Tariq have a barnstorming 2022 and perhaps the Dragons may reverse their decision or he’ll pick up a juicy contract in England and see out his career.
I really enjoy Tariq‘s game. Best player Origin 1 and close to best player of the series. He’s super aggressive and a great edge defender. He has a good running game and can really punch through the line.
The trouble is he is playing behind a team that is probably the worst at winning the field position battle. We probably make 40 metres per set because we don’t do what the good teams are doing.

If you watch the good teams and even some of the poorer teams they are already on the advantage line when they catch the ball ( and sometimes over the line if your Melb). This means that the defense is always going backwards. Not us, we catch the ball a couple of metres behind the play the ball and then it has to be a really strong run to make good metres.

We have no momentum due to this and our edge players really don't have much impact. Imagine Lomax and Tariq playing in the Storm or Penrith systems. They would look like world class players. You only have to watch how Tariq played in the origin team to see how good he is.

If you go back and watch when we lead the comp a few years ago ( i think 2018) this is what we were doing well and teams couldn’t control us. Everyone looked like superstar because of the momentum that we had.

I really hope the Tariq plays next year and we start to play this way because he is definitely a player that you want in your team and not playing against. I would love to see him finish his time with us. Wake up hook and adapt to the changes that need to happen.

Old Timer

Coach
All the negative press we are getting re TS is absurd

He has a contract with us for 2022 which is what was previously negotiated.

He is now looking beyond 2022 and would like to extend with our club

Our club has basically said no they would not be looking to do that

So if he is seen as a player of significant value to other clubs (as reported by the media) he should be able to sign with another club for 2023 & onward and still see out his 2022 year with us.

Our club has simply said if he is unable to do that by seeing out 2022 with us but he could do that if he went to a new club for 2022 and get extra years then as a sign of respect for him and his service we would not stand in his way.

So IMO if he can only get a further deal in terms of years by going to a new club now then the press have got it totally wrong and should apologise for how they have categorised this development

If other clubs don’t see singular value in him for 2023 and perhaps beyond why the f**k should we?

The answer of course is the media think we should provide roster positions and pensions to their mates and then bag us out when we don’t just like “career coach”

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
All the negative press we are getting re TS is absurd

He ha a contract with us for 2022 which is what was previously negotiated.

He is now looking beyond 2022 and would like to extend with our club

Our club has basically said no they would not be looking to do that

So if he is seen as a player of significant value to other clubs (as reported by the media) he should be able to sign with another club for 2023 & onward and still see out his 2022 year with us.

Our club has simply said if he is unable to do that by seeing out 2022 with us but he could do that if he went to a new club for 2022 and get extra years then as a sign of respect for him and his device we would not stand in his way.

So IMO if he can only get a further deal in terms of years by going to a new club now then the press have hit it totally wrong and should apologise for how they have categorised this development

If other clubs don’t see singular value in him for 2023 and perhaps beyond why the f**k should we?

The answer of course is the media think we should provide roster positions and pensions to their mates and then bag us out when we don’t just like “career coach”
The balls in tariqs court..he can accept the clubs decision , stay on for next year , play his arse off and prove everyone wrong and earn a new deal for 23....Or scout around , see whats on offer , and perhaps accept an easy two year or so term at a club more desperate than us..say tigers ...
A or B Tariq......

Terrible

on the proposed contract extension we don’t know exactly what transpired

if Tariq wanted an extension on same or greater money and our club said, no we won’t pay that kind of money for an extension, you are welcome to test the market, I don’t see a problem with it.

Best money will be in England for Tariq.

He can’t play 80 minutes any more.

Dorsai

Juniors
Its been mentioned here. We have been sin binned, and suspended the aggression out of us. Since the Magic Round, Since the BBQ. All the players are a bit scared to put anything on I think. Ravalawa runs the ball up like a forward, with aggression yes. But his tackling has gone pretty much by the wayside. There was one attempted hit last night but that was it. I suspect he is worried about being back in the judiciary for another shoulder charge around the ankles.

Sims is a great player that we are better with on the field. He does run forward and his hands are better than any other forward we have. He very rarely gets bent back like the others and yeah, he may not be making the metres that he was prior to magic round, but look at the players round him and tell me who is putting in like him?

Bird was on fire the first half the season. He is nothing more than a passenger now. Lomax has just not bothered turning up and frankly I would be surprised if he doesn't leave the club during the off season to be with the girlfriend, contract or no contract. The list goes on. With Hunt injured there has been little to no attack and they wander round the field with the old one out, one out, pass pass kick. Norman should have been dropped months ago.

So yes, Sims may not be the player he was at the start of the season but there are few on that field that are. I am glad the club are doing the right thing with him and allowing him to secure a future if he wants it. But I do hope he stays.

Latest posts