What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

At the end of the day, we have have to have a better roster, because we continue to carry some unremarkable players on big $$$.
I await the flack. Therein lies one of our biggest problems. Presume you are alluding to the massively overpaid Ben Hunt and Corey Norman and one or two forwards. Congrats Hunt on being our Player of the Year but where has he been the previous part of his tenure.. missing in action. Both were knee jerk signings.. both cost the club squillions.. Hunt remains.. even given an extension while Norman, it could be said, was made the scapegoat.

Congrats also to one of the three amigos..Talatau Amone who has taken out the Geoff Selby Award for Best Emerging Talent.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
an article just appeared that there is a player divide w Griffin moving on Sims that's just developing ...here we go again...source NRL Mole
There’s a culture problem at the club this much is obvious. The hope was that moving on Dufty, Norman & Vaughan was going to fix it. But moving on a loyal clubman like Sims only damages the culture & puts us back again.

I realise Tariq hasn’t played his entire career at Saints but that doesn’t mean he’s not a loyal clubman who loves the club & jersey. Perhaps he always wanted to play for the Dragon’s but things didn’t pan out that way.

Griffin might be a good coach I don’t know? but I don’t think he’s a good man manager. I fear he’s doing more harm than good, a lot of his personnel choices since joining us are simply a mystery.

Coffs dragon

Bench
At the end of the day, the Dragons & other clubs will always lose players…..it’s the nature of the beast.
I have been devastated in the past to see former Great Dragons players depart the club & many where 1 club fan favourites.
Steve Edge, Ted Goodwin, Slippery Morris, BMoz, Jmoz,
Graeme Wynn, Lance Thompson, Brad Mackay, Luke Bailey, Pat Jarvis, Scott Gourley
Whilst ever these former greats will always be remembered, it gives opportunities for the next generation.

Maddragon99

Juniors
At the end of the day, the Dragons & other clubs will always lose players…..it’s the nature of the beast.
I have been devastated in the past to see former Great Dragons players depart the club & many where 1 club fan favourites.
Steve Edge, Ted Goodwin, Slippery Morris, BMoz, Jmoz,
Graeme Wynn, Lance Thompson, Brad Mackay, Luke Bailey, Pat Jarvis, Scott Gourley
Whilst ever these former greats will always be remembered, it gives opportunities for the next generation.
Of course you can’t keep them all. I compare this situation to Tyson Frizzell, at least the club tried to keep Tyson but he wanted out. In Tariq’s case he wants to stay but the club is letting him go.

We have one of the weakest packs in the comp & massive culture problem, I don’t see how letting Sims go helps either of those issues.

dungay dragon

Juniors
an article just appeared that there is a player divide w Griffin moving on Sims that's just developing ...here we go again...source NRL Mole
Its been fairly obvious to most , that since the Griffin appointment , the Ch 9 media group , majority of , tv and press, have an agenda to white ant the Club ..
At every opportunity , snippets of hardly earth shattering proportions are floated to destabilise..
this latest one...
one of their snotty nose scribes asks some of the current playing group what they think about Tariq getting the heave....what are they supposed to say ???
glad hes going !!! quiet news day
lets move on , todays news is tomorrows fish n chip wrapper

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I await the flack. Therein lies one of our biggest problems. Presume you are alluding to the massively overpaid Ben Hunt and Corey Norman and one or two forwards. Congrats Hunt on being our Player of the Year but where has he been the previous part of his tenure.. missing in action. Both were knee jerk signings.. both cost the club squillions.. Hunt remains.. even given an extension while Norman, it could be said, was made the scapegoat.

Congrats also to one of the three amigos..Talatau Amone who has taken out the Geoff Selby Award for Best Emerging Talent.
Unfortunately @baggygreen man , at least one of your assertions is incorrect. Ben Hunt was NOT given an extension. His original contract contained a player option for the final year of the contract (as did Zac Lomax's contract). Both players exercised their right and took up the option for another year during 2020

denis preston

First Grade
There’s a culture problem at the club this much is obvious. The hope was that moving on Dufty, Norman & Vaughan was going to fix it. But moving on a loyal clubman like Sims only damages the culture & puts us back again.

I realise Tariq hasn’t played his entire career at Saints but that doesn’t mean he’s not a loyal clubman who loves the club & jersey. Perhaps he always wanted to play for the Dragon’s but things didn’t pan out that way.

Griffin might be a good coach I don’t know? but I don’t think he’s a good man manager. I fear he’s doing more harm than good, a lot of his personnel choices since joining us are simply a mystery.
Please don't tell me your argument in resigning Tariq is based on being a "loyal clubman " & "loving the jersey "? Aren't we trying to get away from being a mates club to a high performing NRL outfit ?

watatank

Coach
This is such a non-issue (for us, I'm sure this affects Sims). I assumed that this was going to be Sims' last contract with us anyway and he would just go on to retire or go to England. Pretty much no one of any relevance is going to be interested in ageing Sims by the end of 2022 considering he will 33 at the start of his next contract. If a team are seriously interested they would be trying to get him now to get the best of whatever is left of his talents and if Sims wants to extend his career should be trying to secure a deal now while he's an Origin player. Don't like how it's being played out in the media like this when this is a situation that happens all the time and no one cares.

Unfortunately @baggygreen man , at least one of your assertions is incorrect. Ben Hunt was NOT given an extension. His original contract contained a player option for the final year of the contract (as did Zac Lomax's contract). Both players exercised their right and took up the option for another year during 2020
Please explain. He was given a six year contract. So if he wished he could opt out of the sixth year. Is that correct?

TruSaint

Referee
Gonna be a long off season.

seinfeld-popcorn.gif

watatank

Coach
Please explain. He was given a six year contract. So if he wished he could opt out of the sixth year. Is that correct?

He had to activate an option for the 6th year if he wanted to stay. Players usually wait until closer to the end of the contract to give themselves the option to 'opt out' but I suppose he wanted to lock that guaranteed payment in with all the uncertainty over COVID.

blacksafake

First Grade
Of course you can’t keep them all. I compare this situation to Tyson Frizzell, at least the club tried to keep Tyson but he wanted out. In Tariq’s case he wants to stay but the club is letting him go.

We have one of the weakest packs in the comp & massive culture problem, I don’t see how letting Sims go helps either of those issues.
You're right in saying we have one of the weakest packs in the competition & Sims is supposed to the leader of the pack. There in lies part of the problem which is why Hook is trying to fix this issue. His performance when given the captaincy were underwhelming, to say the least for a leader.
He's still contracted for 22 so I expect him to be there & I'm more than happy should this be the case, Even though I think he'll be behind Su'a, Burns, Bird & Jack.
However if he does get another offer to move on he should take it & I'll wish him all the best

Old Timer

Coach

So for how long should we extend him and by all means tell me if you will be happy for him to give another year of what he just delivered at club level with the percentage of requisite decline that comes with age and the inevitable injuries that come with that?

SGMax

Juniors
If someone told me last year that Simms may be playing alongside Crichton in 2022, I would be doing cartwheels that we were getting Crichton.
With talk of possible interest from Easts, it could happen, but not in a good way.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Want to see Sims playing in the middle next season. Has lost that extra speed/acceleration which made him formidable on the edge but has enough of it to be effective in the middle. 40-50mins impact stint, possibly from interchange bench could be his role. He's a big body too. Hopefully the lack of contract extension will fire him up to start the season. I don't mind him playing at prop either.

Latest posts