What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo Chooses NZ

Pierced Soul

First Grade
like it or not, what it shows is that qld and meninga will continue to strive for success. if nsw had half the nouse meninga has shown they would be looking to do the same thing and tie up any eligible prospects.

if kearney had any brains he would have been trying to talk to this kid last year and getting him to pledge his allegiance to the kiwi's

like everyone else i'd like to see a strong international comp but SOO is throwing the whole thing out of whack. I'm now leaning towards allowing kids from other countries who were raised through the australian junior system to play origin but be eligible to play for the kiwi's or GB or samoa etc

if you played your junior footy o/s then you wont be eligible but if you played junior footy like Taumalolo you would eb eligible for qld as well as tonga or NZ

BDR

First Grade
Really though he came to Australia at the age of 13, he is probably entitled to choose.

I don't see how it's different to Akuila Uate or even Willie Mason

If he is eligible he has every right to choose Qld. To say that a player cannot play for his chosen country, and therefore state, because he was born elsewhere is discrimination. He moved to Australia as a 13-year-old. Meanwhile we have countries like England who essentially pay players from other countries to play for them who have moved there as adults to play the game professionally. Which is worse?

BDR

First Grade
I'm fairly sure he repped QLD at younger age levels and definitely played Australian Schoolboys as well.

There are some cases where eligibility is a little hazy and this is one of them. IMO in that case it should come down to the player's personal choice.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
f**k State of Origin. It's such a shame how many Aussies are too blind to see that this pathetic provincial competition is crippling the international game.

Sad but true. League will only grow so far on the back of two states that nobody outside of those states really cares about.

If these guys were making the choice on their own then I'd be less concerned, but Meninga is really making himself look like a complete dick in all of this.

Izz

Bench
I'm fairly sure he repped QLD at younger age levels and definitely played Australian Schoolboys as well.

There are some cases where eligibility is a little hazy and this is one of them. IMO in that case it should come down to the player's personal choice.
As a balance the other way, he's lived in Australia for less than 4 years.

Evil Homer

Staff member
If he is eligible he has every right to choose Qld. To say that a player cannot play for his chosen country, and therefore state, because he was born elsewhere is discrimination. He moved to Australia as a 13-year-old. Meanwhile we have countries like England who essentially pay players from other countries to play for them who have moved there as adults to play the game professionally. Which is worse?
Nobody is saying he can't play for whoever he wants. The issue here is that I haven't once seen him mention that he has ambitions to play for Australia, only Queensland, but as a result his decision on international eligibility has been forced by dinosaurs who for some reason place more value on a glorified friendly match than they do international RL. If he legitimately wanted to play for Australia rather than NZ then I wouldn't have a problem, but the fact is that he has been coerced by individuals who want him to play in State of Origin.

Last edited:

Grapple

Bench
Forget Origin, potential huge loss for NZ. Would've loved him to be teaming up with Taupau in the future for us in the back row.

Having said that, is there some way Ricky Stuart can convince Foran to play for NSW? He's sure spent enough time in NSW now. There's got to be a way in there somewhere?

Snappy

Coach
Imagine the Queensland backlash if this was the other way around.

Josh Hoffman & Gerard Beale For NZ, Jack Reed for England. Raised and developed in QLD.

Everyone was disappointed, but I wouldnt call it a backlash.

hitman82

Bench
I hope he feels like a total piece of shit when he someday lines up against the haka he should be participating in.