What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo Chooses NZ

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Imagine the Queensland backlash if this was the other way around.

It is the other way around. Where's the backlash? You don't see any whinging over Uate, McManus, Mason, El Masri, Nagas and so on and so forth.

Just more moaning from down south.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
To add to the above, and as has been mentioned - Josh Hoffman, Gerard Beale and Nathan Fien.

All QLD born and bred juniors now playing or having played for NZ.

hutch

First Grade
And this is where the problem lies and has been heading to over the last few years. There is no problem with kids born elsewhere (including NZ) who emigrate to Australia at a young age and move through the grades onto origin and Australia like hunt did. There are massive problems with the system when players who are signed by clubs to move to Australia and are then groomed for origin and Australia. There are also massive issues with poaching players who have already represented another country as uate has done!

We are the most selfish sport on earth, nobody looks at the bigger picture or at the good of the sport as a whole. It's all about the quick fix and making yourself look good!

hutch

First Grade
You technically can, it's just that the ARL bribed players by threatening them with exclusion from future Origin selection if they played for any other nation. They also make the same threat to players who aren't even close to Origin at the moment, such as Daniel Vidot and Josh McGuire who were stopped from playing for Samoa last year.

Vidot and McGuire were told last year that playing for Samoa would ruin their chances of representing qld and Australia in the future, and rightly so. Players need to make a choice, they cannot have it both ways. McGuire at the time said he would play for Samoa because he is still a few years away from Australia. This is the problem, he knows he can swap whenever he wants and it is holding the sport back. Players need to commit to playing for a country, not play for them until they are good enough for their first choice!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
To add to the above, and as has been mentioned - Josh Hoffman, Gerard Beale and Nathan Fien.

All QLD born and bred juniors now playing or having played for NZ.

Very few kiwis wanted Fien in the team and we thought it was a joke as much as anyone.

Hoffman's father is a born and bred Kiwi, Beale is related to Zinzan Brooke (former All Black) so although you make a point about those two being born and bred Queenslanders, compared to Taumalolo who has nothing but Meninga in his ear it's a comparison that doesn't quite match up.

Doga

Juniors
The guy has been in Aus since 13. That sounds fair game enough for me in terms of eligibility.

I think they should structure the questions differently.

It shouldn't be NSW or QLD approaching them. It should be Australia, or NZ or ENG or Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc.

If they happen to say I am Australian, then take it from there. Look at their eligibility.

Having NSW or QLD determine national eligibility is pretty pathetic and I am willing to bet that you wont see anything like that in any sport anywhere.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
The guy has been in Aus since 13. That sounds fair game enough for me in terms of eligibility.

I think they should structure the questions differently.

It shouldn't be NSW or QLD approaching them. It should be Australia, or NZ or ENG or Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc.

If they happen to say I am Australian, then take it from there. Look at their eligibility.

Having NSW or QLD determine national eligibility is pretty pathetic and I am willing to be you wont see anything like that in any sport anywhere.
Yeah exactly, but unfortunately you have idiots like Meninga in power who are willing to sacrifice international sport for the sake of their silly little provincial comp. FWIW nobody should 'approach' anyone, players should be free to declare who they want to play for without being coerced.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It is the other way around. Where's the backlash? You don't see any whinging over Uate, McManus, Mason, El Masri, Nagas and so on and so forth.

Just more moaning from down south.

:lol: Just like your precious qlders having a go at NSW for chopping and changing losing sides-you can say what you want because you haven't faced the problem for such a long time. I know in your fantasy world it's the NSW fans "always whinging" but reality is quite different