What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tawera Nikaus book

ozbash

Referee
Saw the book yesterday at whitcouls book shop and to be honest was very dissapointed.
I am surprised it was penned by a high class author as Richard Becht whose work is usually spot on.

$35 NZ for a soft cover,poor quality (paper and print) and only 2 sections with photos.

while in the shop i read the first chapter and would estimate the average reader would get through it in a couple of hours.

very dissapointing as i was looking forward to this one...

It was funny how T said he was sitting in the stands with Kimmorley & Scott Hill last week at Albany. He said they were hoping Aussie would lose so they would get a game. Nice display of pride for their own nation I thought.

But anyway, I was gonna get the book. But since you said it sucks....I don't think I will be.

playdaball

Bench
I have just finished reading the book, Standing TaLL The Tawera Nikua Story and I thouhjt it was a pretty good read. I agree with Oz bash as i started it this afternoon and have just finished the book. This is a positive as I recently attempted to read Jonah Lomu's 'new' book and got about 1/4 of the way through - after a couple of weeks - and could not get into it.
Highlights for me were the chapter dedicated to the Richie Blackmore 'affair'. This was always a mystery to NZ RL supporters. I also liked his comments about the '89 kiwi tour and having lived in the North of England it was good to hear his comments regarding his stints with various clubs especially Cas'.
He certainly has a lot of respect from RL fans throughout the World.
The biggest thrill was reading of his passion for his hometown huntly and his desire to help the youth of this small Waikato town. One also has to admire his obvious love and repect for his children and late wife, Letitia.

Booyah

Bench
I recently attempted to read Jonah Lomu's 'new' book and got about 1/4 of the way through - after a couple of weeks - and could not get into it.

Nor could I. I saw it at a bookshop and flicked through and read the first chapter and just couldn't go on. It's as boring as Wendell Sailor's book, which is possibly the most boring autobiography I have ever had the misfortune of buying.

Anonymous

Juniors
Well said ozbash. I got the book for my Dad's birthday, but I could kinda tell it was gonna be crap. It's not very long and the extra-large print is a dead giveaway that it was a bit of a rushed job. Also, it's written in an extremely basic, matter-of-fact, stating the obvious sort of way which really provides no insight into either Tawera's personality, or the events of his life.

playdaball

Bench
Thierry Henry said:
Well said ozbash. I got the book for my Dad's birthday, but I could kinda tell it was gonna be crap. It's not very long and the extra-large print is a dead giveaway that it was a bit of a rushed job. Also, it's written in an extremely basic, matter-of-fact, stating the obvious sort of way which really provides no insight into either Tawera's personality, or the events of his life.

Nikau's personality and thoughts are evident after reading this book.

2.00pm NZ time
He is on newstalk ZB/radio sport for an hour now ... ring him up and tell him.

www.newstalkzb.co.nz
(I think)

ozbash

Referee
T being the sort of bloke he is would be very hard to write a bio for imo,, i wonder how much of it is his words and how much is interpretation.

who saw him last night ? :lol:

ThrashViking

Juniors
I'll have a look at it tomorrow but after Deaker dibbled on about how great it was im not really sure if it was a good thing
Ozbash- I thought he was hilarious but he's a terrible cheater
:lol:

vbfg

Juniors
nospam49 said:
vbfg said:
Does it mention Richie Blackmore?

How about you read the thread again....

Blimey, how embarassing. Not that I missed the mention of Blackmore, that could happen to anyone. It's that I was corrected by you and your correction was grounded in reality.

I'm off for a lie down.

vbfg said:
nospam49 said:
vbfg said:
Does it mention Richie Blackmore?

How about you read the thread again....

Blimey, how embarassing. Not that I missed the mention of Blackmore, that could happen to anyone. It's that I was corrected by you and your correction was grounded in reality.

I'm off for a lie down.

You cant help being ignorant.

I was just correcting someone I own.....

JJ

Immortal
Thierry Henry said:

If that's true, it's a shame. I think he should have found someone other than a sport's journo to write it - to be blunt, they are usually useless (seriously useless). If Nikau wanted his story told (and I'd imagine it's a hell of an intersting story) then I am sure he'd have no problem finding someone who could do a good job.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Could someone shed me some light on the Richie Blackmore incident?
With schoolwork piling up I really doubt leisure reading will be high on my priority list!!

Booyah

Bench
I saw it on the weekend. I had a flick through. It's not too bad...

And yes, it does mention the whole Richie Blackmore saga.

Could someone shed me some light on the Richie Blackmore incident
His missus was slagging off at Nikau's wife Letitia, and they got into a biffo and T blew up at Richie because he couldn't control his woman, so a rift spread. That's the general facts anyway.

Latest posts