What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

flippikat

Bench
So, picking up on my post on the "NRL Growth Mindset points to 18th team.." thread, let's try a little though experiment/brainstorming.. in the best traditions of the expansion forum hehehe.

Assume for moment that the 18th & 19th teams will be Perth & NZ 2 (or a Pacific team, based in NZ).. in whichever order, which seems to be where we're going.

Who gets team 20 to make the competition to an even number of teams?

For me, it looks like a choice between Adelaide & a 5th Qld team (not sure where?)... so in that scenario who gets that 20th spot, and why?

Let the long range speculation begin! :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bears to Adelaide. We have 3 clubs in SEQ. There should be no need for another one.

Just on Adelaide and what massive neglect is going on there by the NRL, for the first time in years they were not able to field any teams at this years CAS championships. Does the NRL even know SA exists?

flippikat

Bench
Just on Adelaide and what massive neglect is going on there by the NRL, for the first time in years they were not able to field any teams at this years CAS championships. Does the NRL even know SA exists?
What exactly is the mandate for the NRL commission and/or ARL?

If it's to foster, develop & grow the game throughout Australia (as it SHOULD be), there's a case that they're in dereliction of their duty, and should be replaced.

Seriously.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If it's to foster, develop & grow the game throughout Australia (as it SHOULD be), there's a case that they're in dereliction of their duty, and should be replaced.

Seriously.
The depressing thing is they took over the affiliated states control with bluster about growing the game and new investment. And there hasn't been any. We lost independent control and gained nothing. SA is now down to just 4 clubs scrambling to survive.

flippikat

Bench
The depressing thing is they took over the affiliated states control with bluster about growing the game and new investment. And there hasn't been any. We lost independent control and gained nothing. SA is now down to just 4 clubs scrambling to survive.
The affiliated states should get together pipe up about this.

I would be LIVID at that kinda treatment.

Again - dereliction of duty.

Pippen94

First Grade

Seriously.

NRL exists to make money

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL exists to make money
The ARLC exists to grow the game

'Chaired by Peter V'landys AM, the ARL Commission brings together a uniquely qualified array of business and sporting leaders who act as trustees of the game.

Together they work with the Commission's administrative executive, to foster, develop, and grow the game and provide adequate funding for Rugby League at all levels.'

flippikat

Bench

'Chaired by Peter V'landys AM, the ARL Commission brings together a uniquely qualified array of business and sporting leaders who act as trustees of the game.

Together they work with the Commission's administrative executive, to foster, develop, and grow the game and provide adequate funding for Rugby League at all levels.'

...and there you have it.

The case for the prosecution.

Pippen94

First Grade

..provide funding..

Colk

First Grade
Arlc runs NRL but that's where it makes it's money. Can't fund without money

What are you talking about. They made around $575 million (somebody could link me to that graph that Wookie put up recently) in revenue in 2021.

Notwithstanding that we are massively behind fumbleball it is ridiculous to suggest that we don’t have any money

Pippen94

First Grade
What are you talking about. They made around $575 million (somebody could link me to that graph that Wookie put up recently) in revenue in 2021.

Notwithstanding that we are massively behind fumbleball it is ridiculous to suggest that we don’t have any money

Off topic, didn't wookie show NRL made more profit despite less revenue?!

flippikat

Bench
Interesting thought presuming next 2 teams are WA & NZ2..

I'm going to go with SW Brisbane team.

- Based at redeveloped North Ipswich Reserve 24K (8 games)
- Suncorp 4 derby games (Broncos, NQ, Dolphins & Titans)
I'm just picking up on the chatter we're hearing - some here (people have their preferences & arguments for them - some very compelling), some of it statements from NRL (admittedly their attitude to expansion options changes often ), some of it what changes appear "in the wind" like the reports of replacing the early Friday evening game with a late Sunday one.

I might be adding 2 + 2 and getting 22, but speculation is the name of the game in this part of the forum!

As for your idea of a SW Brisbane team - quite possible, but I think the NRL may be keener if the ratio was flipped: 8 at Suncorp & 4 in the west.

I honestly thought when creating the thread that Adelaide might be a chance at that 20th spot, but after hearing Perth Red's summation of what's going on there, it sounds like the game is dying in the vine & the NRL is abdicating any duty of care for it.

So umm yeah.. looks like teams 18, 19 and 20 will likely be Perth, NZ 2 or Pacifica, then South/West Brisbane.

Unless the Broncos/Titans/Dolphins strongly persuade the NRL to avoid a 4th SE Qld team, and that spot goes to NZ 3, Central Qld, or *shudders* The Bears as a traveling show in any number of NSW Country locations (as per one of their more hairbrained recent brainfarts).

Latest posts