What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 20 - Who? Adelaide or Queensland 5?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
If it is the WA Bears then there will be a constant stigma over the club as being a blow in Sydney side. It will be harder to win over WA locals than a home grown bid. The usual media suspects will inevitably try to sell papers by raising the spectre of shifting the club back to its 'true base' in Sydney every time they are near the bottom of the table or have financial troubles. The WA Bears are good for Sydney, not WA.

MugaB

Coach
If it is the WA Bears then there will be a constant stigma over the club as being a blow in Sydney side. It will be harder to win over WA locals than a home grown bid. The usual media suspects will inevitably try to sell papers by raising the spectre of shifting the club back to its 'true base' in Sydney every time they are near the bottom of the table or have financial troubles. The WA Bears are good for Sydney, not WA.
Just so we are all clear, WA bears is team 20 right?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The worrying thing with vlandys in charge is it’s also good for the nrl as well if they want to parachute a18th club in quickly without having to do any work. Given the increasing pressure pistol Pete is coming under I can see them trying to get a ninth game in asap to boost tv rights and they’ll probably make a really stupid decision that long term will be a sht Storm and kill off the game in WA for good. You have been warned!

MugaB

Coach
The worrying thing with vlandys in charge is it’s also good for the nrl as well if they want to parachute a18th club in quickly without having to do any work. Given the increasing pressure pistol Pete is coming under I can see them trying to get a ninth game in asap to boost tv rights and they’ll probably make a really stupid decision that long term will be a sht Storm and kill off the game in WA for good. You have been warned!
Won't matter what PVL does, if perth will end up team 20...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Can I ask why? In my book one of the biggest impediments to Perth coming into the comp is the Sydney teams thinking their attendances will drop as Perth won't having any travelling fans. WA Bears is akin to the Swans moving to Sydney or the Lions to Brisbane. The WA Bears would have an instant NSW fan base.

That said there's no way a Perth side should give up home games to play in North Sydney. They should just schedule away matches against close teams in Sydney at Manly, Roosters and Tigers et al. Maybe other clubs playing their a travelling home game at Gosford could have the WA side as the away team too.

Does the Bears as brand mean anything to WA? Not really. But it's not like WA is swarming with Pirates either.
I've discussed this multiple times before, so I'll try to keep this brief as possible because I could write an essay on the subject.

First things first, I am a Bears fan. They were my team before the Raiders joined the NSWRL, and I've never stopped following them even when it's been difficult at times since they dropped out of the NRL.

To put it simply they wouldn't be going into operating the Perth side for the right reasons. They have no interest whatsoever in building a side for Perth, and they'd simply be using Perth as a means to achieve their goal of re-joining the NRL, and their stated 'non-negotiables' are the best proof of that possible.

Their NRL side in Perth wouldn't be anything like the Swans or Lions either, as they have made it very clear that they have no plans of relocating their operations out of North Sydney. They plan only for the NRL team to be based out of Perth, and if that doesn't show you that they aren't really committed to the new market then I don't know what will.

Furthermore it wouldn't be a Perth side's job to fill Sydney club's stadiums anymore than it's the Sydney club's job to fill any of the non-Sydney club's grounds, but even so, the size of the Bears current fanbase is highly overstated in the media, and it's shrinking. They'd be lucky to draw more than a couple thousand to most away games in Sydney after the initial novelty factor had worn off, and anybody who says otherwise is either delusional or totally full of shit.

The fanbase also isn't as unified as people like to make out, with a good portion of it not interested in supporting a "relocated" Bears at all, and another significant portion whom are completely ignorant/delusional as to what would actually be required for the Bears to re-enter the NRL, and the costs associated with supporting an modern NRL side. There's genuinely a sizable group of old Bears fans whom would be shocked, and dismayed, to find out that a ticket in the good seats is going to set them back more than $10-15.

I wouldn't be surprised if the intention of some within the club is to use Perth to get a license, then tank the operations in Perth and use that as an excuse to relocate back to Sydney/NSW. I can say for a fact that there're many within the club, and fanbase, whom would see that both as the ideal outcome and as a sort of justice for how things turned out after the merger fell apart, and even just the risk of that isn't in the interests of Perth, the NRL, or the sport more broadly.

BTW, Fitzroy didn't actually relocate to Brisbane. They went into administration and their assets were sold to the Brisbane Bears.

Last edited:
Can I ask why? In my book one of the biggest impediments to Perth coming into the comp is the Sydney teams thinking their attendances will drop as Perth won't having any travelling fans. WA Bears is akin to the Swans moving to Sydney or the Lions to Brisbane. The WA Bears would have an instant NSW fan base.

That said there's no way a Perth side should give up home games to play in North Sydney. They should just schedule away matches against close teams in Sydney at Manly, Roosters and Tigers et al. Maybe other clubs playing their a travelling home game at Gosford could have the WA side as the away team too.

Does the Bears as brand mean anything to WA? Not really. But it's not like WA is swarming with Pirates either.
Any decision on expansion into Adelaide and Perth shouldn't be predicated on how many fans of theirs will attend away games in Sydney. If a Sydney club cannot draw a good crowd at home against an interstate club then that speaks volumes about their viability.

The game won't grow if it bases all of its policies around the self-interest of Sydney clubs.

Colk

First Grade
Any decision on expansion into Adelaide and Perth shouldn't be predicated on how many fans of theirs will attend away games in Sydney. If a Sydney club cannot draw a good crowd at home against an interstate club then that speaks volumes about their viability.

The game won't grow if it bases all of its policies around the self-interest of Sydney clubs.

Also if you were ever going to relocate a side, wouldn’t you relocate one that is currently one in first grade.

As Great Dane alluded earlier, the idea that there are hundreds of thousands supporters just waiting to come out of the woodwork because the Bears are back is delusional when they haven’t been in the top grade for over 20 years. Even then none of them would be in the target market to build something sustainable over the long term.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also if you were ever going to relocate a side, wouldn’t you relocate one that is currently one in first grade.

As Great Dane alluded earlier, the idea that there are hundreds of thousands supporters just waiting to come out of the woodwork because the Bears are back is delusional when they haven’t been in the top grade for over 20 years. Even then none of them would be in the target market to build something sustainable over the long term.
I doubt thats what its about for NRL. Leaving aside the Sydney myopia, for them I suspect its minimising risk. They are an incredibly risk averse organisation and have stated themselves they do not want to invest in growth beyond the cost of the club grant. They will naively see the Bears pokie den as a way of cutting that risk down.
Pathways I don't buy as any new club can get that through a partnership agreement with a QRL or NSW cup side.

Colk

First Grade
I doubt thats what its about for NRL. Leaving aside the Sydney myopia, for them I suspect its minimising risk. They are an incredibly risk averse organisation and have stated themselves they do not want to invest in growth beyond the cost of the club grant. They will naively see the Bears pokie den as a way of cutting that risk down.
Pathways I don't buy as any new club can get that through a partnership agreement with a QRL or NSW cup side.

I agree that’s what it’s about.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Pokie revenue? FFS complete chump change compared to the potential of major corporate sponsors, which will inject millions annually. The NRL needs to grow some vision. Pokies, the local butcher sponsor etc. all belong back in the past.

Colk

First Grade
Pokie revenue? FFS complete chump change compared to the potential of major corporate sponsors, which will inject millions annually. The NRL needs to grow some vision. Pokies, the local butcher sponsor etc. all belong back in the past.

Particularly when you compare it with the corporate potential (if secured) in capital cities like Perth, Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne

You are talking about a city of over 2 million people which is very wealthy. It’s a no brainer

ATOWN2

Juniors
A great article written by Adam Mogg,a man that played State of Origin for QLD & has coached in the Q Cup. Well worth taking the time to read.
“Rugby League in QLD;
I love the game and I love the pathway of Queensland Cup. I have a massive concern that the required level at Qcup is falling well short of NRL standards.
I pray Norths Devills do the comp proud as much as I hate they beat the dolphins last weekend. The dolphins had a great team on the park, a really good team when considering NRL contracted players.
So here lies my concern
The standard has dropped over the last 4 seasons, it has and I am qualified to say this. 6 years coaching the dolphins and 1 year coaching the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles post the Nrl Manly Seagulls affiliation.
I have been apart of the system as a 7year coach and 5 years as a player. I was lucky to play at Redcliffe with some great players and great forward packs as a 19, 20, 21 year old. We played in 4 grand finals and lost 2. Grand finals are hard to win. But this isn't about grand finals it's about my concern how far the game is away from NRL.
The NRL teams in QLD used to have reserve grade teams in the Qcup, Norths had Storm, Cowboys had Townsville Stingers, Broncos had Toowoomba. They were all great teams and better than anyone on there day. But none of those teams dominated the competition because other Qcup teams were strong, Dolphins, Wynnum, Burleigh, Souths ( Raiders day ) etc the comp was strong and any given day future NRL players were playing.
The NRL supports Qcup and NSW RL state wide competitions by way of a salary cap grants, thats all team's in QLD and NSW.
Here is my concern, that the game can financially afford to fund a reserve grade teams in each NRL club. Each NRL club only needs to sign 10 more full time players and the grants going to statewide teams can pay players to be full time. The Maths is easy. Add to this TV rights to offer a better standard of reserve grade competition and now every NRL club has its own reserve grade team. The reserve grade would actually make a profit. Currently it looses money.
For years Broncos were happy to have players running around with 4 Qcup teams, Wayne was big fan of this and I understand why. But the truth is Sydney teams know that controlling the reserve grade side and putting more players into full time systems is a better system or process for young players to develop and helps create NRL players faster, not to mention develops more NRL staff.
The panthers are proof of this, the rooster's are also.
There is an argument that storm have been successful in the NRL and use the Qcup to run players through the Qcup. Thats true the storm are. But this is about standards of the quality of play and creating NRL players across the statewide competitions.
If Melbourne Storm left the Sunshine Coast Falcons they would struggle to be consistent, I was involved as head coach when the Manly Sea eagles left many years ago. The sunny coast kids were playing men.
Its no doubt NRL clubs would prefer to control there reserve grade team, style of play, fitness, team selection and being prepared to control the development pathway of future NRL player as much as possible. I am sure American football does it and the English premier league in soccer does. Is this good for the game unfortunately, it is and any NRL coach would agree, and run from those who wouldn't. Thats like asking the Suncorp CEO if he didn't want to know what was said at the front counter of a Suncorp bank. He wants to know what was said and why.
The panthers know who is coaching their kids, how, when, why, fitness, schooling etc etc etc.
If the QRL leave it to the NRL they will be bitter disappointed in my view. The game is miles behind the NRL, and it shouldn't be as a reserve grade competition. You don't get stronger in elite sport by looking at the bottom teams and setting standards to keep them afloat. Yes it keeps them going but it also lowers the standard required to play NRL. The NRL is elite sport, business and need the state wide competitions to feed them players. \
The NRL pays the the bills its bis business, the big time.
Rugby league fans are passionate and know the game really well, they know a quality game when they watch it. 500 fans watching statewide competitions doesn't pay the bills of the statewide clubs. It's simply not enough.
The solution in my view:
Less teams in Qcup.
Consolidate the teams.
Pay the players more. Double the salary cap to be in line with NSW.
Make all coaches full time
Let Qcup teams control there own reserve grade team. ( BRL )
BRL needs to run by Qcup teams. ( reserve grade )
Consolidate junior statewide competitions into the BRL run teams and let the kids play full seasons, under 18 and under 20's.
Scrap under 21's.
Good kids at 21 will play Qcup or BRL against Men.
Bring back regional rep teams, Sunshine Coast, wide bay, central QLD, north QLd ,etc etc etc.
Invest more money into junior football. Clubs and schools.
Thats my two cents.
I have suggested my thoughts to the QRL for some seasons on these points. Its a concern and the guy running the entire game in my opinion is smart and he has the ear of smart guys like Gus Gould who I respect massively and who built the panthers system. They all know what creates a better product at the top end.
For the first time ever I hope Norths Devils win and do the QLD cup proud because big brother is watching and big brother knows rugby league better than most administrators give him credit for.”

MugaB

Coach
A great article written by Adam Mogg,a man that played State of Origin for QLD & has coached in the Q Cup. Well worth taking the time to read.
“Rugby League in QLD;
I love the game and I love the pathway of Queensland Cup. I have a massive concern that the required level at Qcup is falling well short of NRL standards.
I pray Norths Devills do the comp proud as much as I hate they beat the dolphins last weekend. The dolphins had a great team on the park, a really good team when considering NRL contracted players.
So here lies my concern
The standard has dropped over the last 4 seasons, it has and I am qualified to say this. 6 years coaching the dolphins and 1 year coaching the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles post the Nrl Manly Seagulls affiliation.
I have been apart of the system as a 7year coach and 5 years as a player. I was lucky to play at Redcliffe with some great players and great forward packs as a 19, 20, 21 year old. We played in 4 grand finals and lost 2. Grand finals are hard to win. But this isn't about grand finals it's about my concern how far the game is away from NRL.
The NRL teams in QLD used to have reserve grade teams in the Qcup, Norths had Storm, Cowboys had Townsville Stingers, Broncos had Toowoomba. They were all great teams and better than anyone on there day. But none of those teams dominated the competition because other Qcup teams were strong, Dolphins, Wynnum, Burleigh, Souths ( Raiders day ) etc the comp was strong and any given day future NRL players were playing.
The NRL supports Qcup and NSW RL state wide competitions by way of a salary cap grants, thats all team's in QLD and NSW.
Here is my concern, that the game can financially afford to fund a reserve grade teams in each NRL club. Each NRL club only needs to sign 10 more full time players and the grants going to statewide teams can pay players to be full time. The Maths is easy. Add to this TV rights to offer a better standard of reserve grade competition and now every NRL club has its own reserve grade team. The reserve grade would actually make a profit. Currently it looses money.
For years Broncos were happy to have players running around with 4 Qcup teams, Wayne was big fan of this and I understand why. But the truth is Sydney teams know that controlling the reserve grade side and putting more players into full time systems is a better system or process for young players to develop and helps create NRL players faster, not to mention develops more NRL staff.
There is an argument that storm have been successful in the NRL and use the Qcup to run players through the Qcup. Thats true the storm are. But this is about standards of the quality of play and creating NRL players across the statewide competitions.
If Melbourne Storm left the Sunshine Coast Falcons they would struggle to be consistent, I was involved as head coach when the Manly Sea eagles left many years ago. The sunny coast kids were playing men.
Its no doubt NRL clubs would prefer to control there reserve grade team, style of play, fitness, team selection and being prepared to control the development pathway of future NRL player as much as possible. I am sure American football does it and the English premier league in soccer does. Is this good for the game unfortunately, it is and any NRL coach would agree, and run from those who wouldn't. Thats like asking the Suncorp CEO if he didn't want to know what was said at the front counter of a Suncorp bank. He wants to know what was said and why.
The panthers know who is coaching their kids, how, when, why, fitness, schooling etc etc etc.
If the QRL leave it to the NRL they will be bitter disappointed in my view. The game is miles behind the NRL, and it shouldn't be as a reserve grade competition. You don't get stronger in elite sport by looking at the bottom teams and setting standards to keep them afloat. Yes it keeps them going but it also lowers the standard required to play NRL. The NRL is elite sport, business and need the state wide competitions to feed them players. \
Rugby league fans are passionate and know the game really well, they know a quality game when they watch it. 500 fans watching statewide competitions doesn't pay the bills of the statewide clubs. It's simply not enough.
The solution in my view:
Less teams in Qcup.
Consolidate the teams.
Consolidate junior statewide competitions into the BRL run teams and let the kids play full seasons, under 18 and under 20's.
Scrap under 21's.
Bring back regional rep teams, Sunshine Coast, wide bay, central QLD, north QLd ,etc etc etc.
Thats my two cents.
I have suggested my thoughts to the QRL for some seasons on these points. Its a concern and the guy running the entire game in my opinion is smart and he has the ear of smart guys like Gus Gould who I respect massively and who built the panthers system. They all know what creates a better product at the top end.
For the first time ever I hope Norths Devils win and do the QLD cup proud because big brother is watching and big brother knows rugby league better than most administrators give him credit for.”
I like adan mogg, very smart coach, al the stuff he is saying is right, with the right pathways in QLD, theyll be another 20-30 ben hunt's or munsters not feeding to the nrl systems...
Only reason cameron ciraldo and andrew webster are nrl coachs now is coz Penrith sorted out their pathways... only reason matt burton and sean O'Sullivan are headlining nrl teams in the halves, is coz penrith are winning..
Mogg is right sort out your pathways Queensland

“Rugby League in QLD;
So here lies my concern
The solution in my view:
Less teams in Qcup.
Consolidate the teams.
Scrap under 21's.
Thats my two cents.
Where was this published?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess it’s more difficult in qlnd where you on,y have 4 nrl clubs as opposed to nsw cup where there are 10 nrl clubs. It’s all a bit of a mess at second tier level, it’s reserve grade but not really. Personally I’d rather see a proper nrl reserve grade and a proper second division as separate entities. That would give even more players an opportunity to earn a crust from the game, allow nrl clubs to better control development of their players and allow places that will never have an nrl club a professional club to follow in a genuine competition as well as future nrl expansion clubs somewhere to get established.
If we had just signed a $643mill tv deal we could afford to do it properly!

docbrown

Coach
You can’t have a team play home games in Sydney when they are a Perth side.
Agree 100%.

WA had Australia's only 'official' Pirate and a large region of northern WA is named after a crown sanctioned pirate. We've certainly had more Pirates than we've had Bears lol.
I bet if I surveyed locals 99% wouldn't know about that one pirate :D. I'm not against the Pirates as a brand. It is unique in local sports but it's hardly some major local connection with significant meaning. It's just another brand.
Not that the name is the issue. Ownership of the license is the key issue.
I agree. Ownership should be through WARL and/or a Western Australian based consortium.

the siver lining is if the bears are based in perth, the attendances should rise for the away fans that used to follow them against a sydney team..
Indeed. I find it odd that some people are arguing against increase attendances.
Also agree there should be absolutely no NSO games, but if it had to be 4 games, 2 trials at nso and 2 proper rounds at SFS, verses Manly and Parra, no souffs, no rorters, no dragons, those two teams should be close enough to travel to SFS to have the home ground advantage swing for the bears favour, as fir Perth 10 games minimum... hell it should 12
I agree. No way Perth should lose any home games. Bears fans in Sydney can travel to Manly, SFS, Leichardt et al.

That can be solved by having the club owned by either the WARL or a WA consortium. North Sydney could be a minority owner with no control over where the club is based.
they have no plans of relocating their operations out of North Sydney. They plan only for the NRL team to be based out of Perth, and if that doesn't show you that they aren't really committed to the new market then I don't know what will.
I don't agree with the Bears current proposal. But that's not to say that an alternative is impossible.
Furthermore it wouldn't be a Perth side's job to fill Sydney club's stadiums anymore than it's the Sydney club's job to fill any of the non-Sydney club's grounds, but even so, the size of the Bears current fanbase is highly overstated in the media, and it's shrinking. They'd be lucky to draw more than a couple thousand to most away games in Sydney after the initial novelty factor had worn off,
That's where we disagree. Every club's job is to maximise attendances at all grounds, not just their own. There's still a very much alive Bears fan base and a couple thousand at away games in Sydney and tens of thousands of extra TV viewers that wouldn't watch a non-Bears Perth TV game do add value to the overall competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if the intention of some within the club is to use Perth to get a license, then tank the operations in Perth and use that as an excuse to relocate back to Sydney/NSW.
That's why the license should be owned by either WARL or WA consortium with Norths as minority partners. Basically, they'd be selling their brand.
BTW, Fitzroy didn't actually relocate to Brisbane. They went into administration and their assets were sold to the Brisbane Bears.
An expansion club didn't have a fanbase so they used an existing brand to boost it.

Which existing team are you suggesting we axe? I don't think we can afford to do that. If a WA group buys the Bears brand it doesn't cost the game anything.

I wouldn't support the inclusion of a North Sydney Bears owned Perth Bears side. But I would support the inclusion of a WA majority owned WA Bears side.

This is why we won't see a team in Logan 🤣🤣
First I've heard of it.

What's your gripe about it?

Apparently it's also used in Canberra.

How is it any different to some one from Penrith getting their groceries from Coles or fast food delivered to their door?

The person doing the Gogglebox style commentary sounded mentally ill and backwards. Every second word was "f**k" or "f**ken".