What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

Frederick

Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgw9olzjbg&feature=youtu.be&t=6m13s

Can't play football...

At the end of the day, I still want the guy in these highlight clips from 2009-2011 in my team. It's a long time ago, but there's been a lot of good to go with the bad between then and now, too. I still have hope for the bloke, even if it's just returning to 80 or 90% of the player we know he can be. There hasn't been a better Knight since Joey at actually getting my pulse going and getting me excited about the footy.

All I know is, he hasn't looked that fit since I can remember. I don't even think he was as fit as he looks now in his prime. It surely isn't a bad sign.

Wowee, highlights from five years ago. You sure showed me...

Aku has been downright terrible for the last few years, in both attack and defence. Sure he still scores tries, but his ball handling is pathetic, his ability under the high ball is even worse, his footwork is non-existent anymore (doesn't even bother trying to step players anymore, just tries to run over them and doesn't work), his positioning in defence is woeful, and as we all saw last year, his commitment to both the team and the play is downright embarrassing.

So yes, unless he learns how to football, his fitness won't be worth a damn

perverse

Referee
lol Fred, you need to exaggerate beyond reason to make your point. He hasn't been downright terrible. Actually, he's been the best winger at the club whilst plodding along at 50%. For all the tries he lets in that he gets blamed for (that is, every single try scored on his side of the field), I'd say he's actually responsible for maybe half of them or less - with his inside men doing him absolutely no service in this area many, many times.

He's not a good defender, but he has had some great games in the last few years too. He came 5th in our own KOTY this year, 8th in 2013... with 2014 being his real stinker for mine. He was a star for us at the back end of 2013 and in our finals run. There have been plenty of flashes, but he has been inconsistent - not downright terrible.

Spot On

Coach
He's an absolute joke of a defender. No one can make a case for him. He's on over twice the $$$ he should be on. He has horrible hands when under the high ball, when returning the ball and when attempting to pick it up off the ground. The club wants him gone but no one is shit stupid enough to buy him. A couple good games over a few years is the definition of a huge underachiever with massive motivational issues. He'd want be f**king fit this year as he hasn't been for a very long time. That's his job. Everyone is hoping Brown can fix the edge defence and hopefully get this nuffie to drive his f**king soft shoulder into the bloke running at him carrying the ball instead of waving his arms around as he watches him run by. Otherwise I can't wait to see the back of him.

Noname36

First Grade
People have short memories. Aku was literately the only good thing we had going for us for about 4 years there (unless Mullen was having a good game). He created tries out of absolutely nothing when we didn't have anything - which is rare for a winger. He shouldn't have been put on the length contract he was, and in his current state of play I'd be just as happy to see him go as the next person, but anyone saying he's always been shit must have suffered a brain injury that's wiped out all memories pre-2012.

He's always been bad defensively and under the high ball but he used to offer us so much on the other side it wasn't an issue. He also used to be a lot better under the high ball than he has been in recent seasons. He's a confidence player and losing that has no doubt hurt him just as much as getting lazy and his knee has. That's why I don't think simply losing weight is going to help him. He's lost his confidence which has always been the biggest influencing factor in his game. I also don't think it's a coincidence that his general decision making in defence has become much worse since 2012 when he was placed with a centre that literally seems too afraid to tackle.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Who said he's always been shit?

How many years can his weaknesses, which every coach in the NRL targets, be attributed to confidence and his knee. He must fix the glaring errors in his game. Too many times in tight games with pressure on he invariably is targeted and almost on cue coughs up the ball or waves at his opposite as they run past him to score.

People keep pushing the 'geez he was f**king good for us 4 years ago' line as if that's good enough to keep him here no matter how bad he's been season after season. The same weaknesses that cost him his NSW jersey years ago are most probably going to cost him his NRL contract if Brown can't work a miracle.

Noname36

First Grade

How many years can his weaknesses, which every coach in the NRL targets, be attributed to confidence and his knee. He must fix the glaring errors in his game. Too many times in tight games with pressure on he invariably is targeted and almost on cue coughs up the ball or waves at his opposite as they run past him to score.

People keep pushing the 'geez he was f**king good for us 4 years ago' line as if that's good enough to keep him here no matter how bad he's been season after season. The same weaknesses that cost him his NSW jersey years ago are most probably going to cost him his NRL contract if Brown can't work a miracle.

A couple good games over a few years

Please. Anyone that's followed the Knights pre-2012 know that he didn't offer "a couple of good games over a few years". From around 2008-2011 he was literally creating tries out of nothing and winning games consistently for us off his own back. Not something that's in the job description of a winger, but hey, he did. I don't agree with the massive contract he was put on but I also don't think that Bennett is a complete moron so he must have realised how valuable Uate was for the side when he allowed that contract to happen.

From your posts you obviously have a very deep hatred for the bloke but I don't see any reason to downplay and disregard what he has given to the team previously. Nobody is arguing you that he's not complete shit now. We all want to see the back of him currently and nobody is saying that he should be kept in the side just because of his previous achievements. Not sure where you got that idea.

slotmachine

First Grade
He's been our top try scorer 5 of the last 6 years, so if he can't play it doesn't say much about the rest of the side.

Spot On

Coach
Please. Anyone that's followed the Knights pre-2012 know that he didn't offer "a couple of good games over a few years". From around 2008-2011 he was literally creating tries out of nothing and winning games consistently for us off his own back. Not something that's in the job description of a winger, but hey, he did. I don't agree with the massive contract he was put on but I also don't think that Bennett is a complete moron so he must have realised how valuable Uate was for the side when he allowed that contract to happen.

From your posts you obviously have a very deep hatred for the bloke but I don't see any reason to downplay and disregard what he has given to the team previously. Nobody is arguing you that he's not complete shit now. We all want to see the back of him currently and nobody is saying that he should be kept in the side just because of his previous achievements. Not sure where you got that idea.

That quote was in reference to the past 3 seasons.

No where in my posts have I used the word hate.

Where have I said that others want him in the side just because of his previous achievements?

Why is the club trying to offload him?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I don't want to see the back of Uate if he puts in this year. I'm not going to lose sleep if he goes, though. The only way we lose is if he continues to plod and we can't get rid of him.

Yosh

Coach
1. JHayne
2. JMamo
3. JRoberts
4. DGagai
5. SMata'utai

6. JMullen
7. THodkinson

8. KSnowden
9. RFarah
10. KSims
11. RRochow
12. TSims
13. JSmith

14. DLevi
15. MPaea
16. JStockwell
17. JTapine

Someone make it happen!

Yosh

Coach
That team is crazy but it could happen. Take away Hayne and the odds of that team turning up first game of the season is quite high.

Burwood

Bench
That team is crazy but it could happen. Take away Hayne and the odds of that team turning up first game of the season is quite high.

Take away Farah, Roberts, Sione and Tariq and you will be getting close to our round 1 team.

lafai

Bench
1. JHayne
2. JMamo
3. JRoberts
4. DGagai
5. SMata'utai

6. JMullen
7. THodkinson

8. KSnowden
9. RFarah
10. KSims