What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

Massoud hinting Knights a fair chance of getting James Roberts due to Mundine and Brown connection. He did say it was a hunch though. A Titans fan asked should they be worried and that was his response. Anthony is his cousin?

Burwood

Bench
It's probably more likely to happen than two of our current players running out in Round 1 while suspended ;)

Noname36

First Grade
If Roberts is wrapped up with Mundine I wouldn't want him. A Mundine association is my deal breaker.

Gravy

Juniors
If Roberts is wrapped up with Mundine I wouldn't want him. A Mundine association is my deal breaker.

Why's that? Choc isn't that bad...He's dedicated to whatever he does, doesn't drink, doesn't take drugs, doesn't bring his sports into disrepute. He was great for SBW and Blake Ferguson if you ask me. Look at both of them now and how they conduct themselves.

Sure he's got a huge mouth and say's stupid stuff that polarises people but you know 95% of that is in the name of promotion and selling his fights right?

Noname36

First Grade
Why's that? Choc isn't that bad...He's dedicated to whatever he does, doesn't drink, doesn't take drugs, doesn't bring his sports into disrepute. He was great for SBW and Blake Ferguson if you ask me. Look at both of them now and how they conduct themselves.

Sure he's got a huge mouth and say's stupid stuff that polarises people but you know 95% of that is in the name of promotion and selling his fights right?

I can't agree with any of this sorry. In my opinion the moment a player gets involved in the Team Mundine crap their careers start to become less about footy and more about headlines very quickly. The fact that our usually overly relaxed admin once told our players that any that had Team Mundine connections to walk after they saw what his influence did to Paterson is enough to confirm in my eyes at least.

otori

Juniors
I can't agree with any of this sorry. In my opinion the moment a player gets involved in the Team Mundine crap their careers start to become less about footy and more about headlines very quickly. The fact that our usually overly relaxed admin once told our players that any that had Team Mundine connections to walk after they saw what his influence did to Paterson is enough to confirm in my eyes at least.

While I agree the team in general are bad news, SBW and his current attitude to sport and competition are great to see. I know rugby union is unpopular on this forum but SBW is a superstar in NZ for more than just his on field ability

Apey

Staff member
Woooooo

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leag...n-joins-widnes-vikings-from-newcastle-knights

Chris Houston joins Widnes Vikings from Newcastle Knights

Last Updated: 01/12/15 11:10am

chris-houston-newcastle-knights_3383722.jpg

Chris Houston is embracing a new challenge with the Widnes Vikings

Widnes Vikings have completed the signing of experienced NRL forward Chris Houston from the Newcastle Knights.
Back-rower Houston was released from the last year of his contract with the Knights and signed a two-year deal with the Super League side.
The 30-year-old played 176 NRL games for the Knights and St George-Illawarra Dragons and has already been over to England to meet his new team-mates.

He told the club's official website: "I've loved my time in the NRL but I wanted a new challenge.
"I've been speaking to [chief executive] James Rule and Denis Betts for the past few weeks and last week I came over to the UK to meet all the people involved with the club.
"I'm coming here to do a job. Super League is always something I have wanted to experience. It's a challenge I am looking forward to."
Vikings coach Betts said: "Chris has got a fantastic pedigree, he's a quality player and will bring great leadership skills.
"We're really looking forward to bringing him over and having him as part of the squad in our pursuit of success.
"People will think that because we've signed a back-rower, he is here to replace Danny Galea, but we were already pursuing Chris before Danny's spot became available."

I thought Smithy coached Widnes but it is another club, Wakefield. Anyways Houston is gone and for the better. Some big talent off contract league wide in the next 12 months. I think Browny is being very wise not panic buying. He has put the onus back on the players to prove they belong here. Noone has ever done that on the scale he has. He doesn't have to say much really. The players know he has the full backing of the board. He got Hagan removed by simply restructuring the criteria for the Football GM position. Just like that. Same with Warren Smiles. Way overdue.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
1. Feeney
2. Mamo
3. Gagai
4. Matautia
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Hodkinson
8. Snowden
9. Levi
10. Korbin
11. Rochow
12. Tapine
13. Tariq

14. Paea
15. Stockwell
16. Mataora
17. Randell

Mataora has shed 9kg this off season, down from 117 to 108. Keen to see how much that's improved his game

perverse

Referee
Completely forgot we had old man smith on the books. Waste of a spot if you ask me

Panicked when we lost Scott and kneejerk signed him to another year, imo. There are worse old timers to have around, though... at least he's hard as nails and a legitimate competitor. Might teach our kids some good habits.

Waste of a roster spot for the most part though.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I think Smith coming off the bench may surprise a few people this year. He didn't start his career until relatively late and I think he'll be able to handle the speed of the game for another season. I like your team Fred however I'd move stockwell into the starting team. It wouldn't surprise me if he is awarded Knights player of the year this season. I'm expecting big things from Him.

Frederick

Staff member
I think Smith coming off the bench may surprise a few people this year. He didn't start his career until relatively late and I think he'll be able to handle the speed of the game for another season. I like your team Fred however I'd move stockwell into the starting team. It wouldn't surprise me if he is awarded Knights player of the year this season. I'm expecting big things from Him.

I really wanted to have Stockwell at lock as he had his best game of last year at lock, but then that leaves Tapine, Tariq and Rochow fighting for the two starting positions. Tariq is a no brainier, and out of the others I'd personally play Tapine as I feel he's wasted off the bench. But then that leaves Rochow wasted on the bench. Stockwell is effective at any position in the pack, IMO, which leads him to be a perfect bench player.

mozza91

Coach
Rochow's 6 games last year were better than than Tariq's 19. I thought he was very disappointing with the expectations I had for him.
Ok in attack with a low workrate and terrible at times defensively. No way should he be a guarenteed starter based on what he did in 2015.

Frederick

Staff member
I'm putting that down to Rick Stone being a shit coach. Most of the team played like shit last year. Tariq's form when he was at North Queensland speaks for itself

ryana87

Juniors
1. Feeney
2. Mamo
3. Gagai
4. Matautia
5. Uate
6. Mullen
7. Hodkinson
8. Snowden
9. Levi
10. Korbin
11. Rochow
12. Tapine
13. Tariq

14. Paea
15. Stockwell
16. Mataora
17. Randell

Mataora has shed 9kg this off season, down from 117 to 108. Keen to see how much that's improved his game

Who gets dropped if we sign Pauli pauli?