What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

PhilGould

Bench
Randell is pretty average IMO. Clydsdale isn't much better at this stage but I feel like he has more room to grow whereas I don't think Randell has much more improvement in him. Levi is the real deal though. He's the one that absolutely needs to be in the 17 somewhere.

Swarzey

Bench
Yeah sadly the depth we thought we had in the backs isn't that spectacular. However, if the combination of Tapine/Mamo/Gagai/Uate can grow (needs organisation...I wonder who can do that? D: ) then I've got no problem. That and I see a fair bit of similarity between Mamo and Tedesco; both have amazing speed, surprisingly strong, carry the ball back with zero fear. Mamo will develop the same skills eventually.

As for our hookers, Randell is really only a solid depth player which is what eventually Clydsdale will become as Levi continues to develop.

I wonder if Stone would consider moving Tariq up front next season. Bring Stockwell into the backrow and put Korbin at lock? Taz is exactly the same size as Ashton. In fact he may be even bigger now.

Noname36

First Grade
I'd probably still start Clydesdale for the tough opening exchanges for a while with giving Levi more and more game time. Hooker is a tough position and I don't want us to f**k Levi up.

Randall for injury cover.

Swarzey

Bench
Nah, Tariq showed at the Cowboys (and to a lesser extent here; notably the Warriors game) how destructive he can be on the edge and I can only imagine Hodkinson helping him get back to that form. Stockwell had two or three really tremendous games at prop before his injury, I don't think moving him into the backrow will do much good. Let me dream for a minute and assume Paea will have a Moa like return to the NRL with Mataora and Vaivai continuing to improve our front row isn't too bad; it just relies on a lot of "ifs".

Levi and Stockwell have to be in that pack next year. was Levi a Mulholland find? He certainly fits the bill. Mulholland is the biggest loss at a coaching and recruitment level we have ever had. He can find a talent like no other.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
I think I'd prefer Korbin at lock due to his mobility with Stockwell at prop but either way I'd have them both starting and getting bigger minutes next year.

Noname36

First Grade
If Smith's fit I think Stone will leave him at lock. If we don't sign anyone else (I think we need another prop) then I'd probably start Korbin at prop with Stockwell on the bench. I don't think Korbs is big enough to offer impact off the bench and coming back from a season ending injury the bench might be better for Stocky to start off with.

With him, Paea and Tapine (assuming Tariq and Rochow get the nod for the starting edges) we certainly won't be lacking size there. It's a shame with Tapine because he's so dominant on the edges but Tariq and Rochow are obviously great there too. If our entire team were playing like our edge back rowers we wouldn't be in the position we're in at the moment for sure.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Mamo
C. Matautia
S. Matautia
Gagai
Uate
Mullen
Hodkinson
Snowden
Clydsdale
K. Sims
Tapine
T. Sims
Stockwell

Levi
Paea
Rochow
Smith

Stockwell had a sensational game at lock before he got injured. And Tapine needs to have one of the edges...we all saw how well he played against the Broncos after beau went off injured

Loose Cannon

Bench
It's amazing the difference to the potential line-up a quality spine signing makes, along with the fact Gidley wont be there.

I'm thinking the backline is fairly well set, with only McManus/Chanel in contention for the one spot.

1 Mamo
2 Chanel
3 Sione
4 Gagai
5 Uate
6 Mullen (c)
7 Hodkinson

The pack/bench seems fairly competitive though, which is a good thing. Smith especially is a hard one to factor in, something which was never an issue 12 months ago. As incumbent, he would retain his spot in my team, but the talent in the backrow is probably deepest. Here is a guy who hopefully will have a big role to play in developing his successors (so I am glad he will be here), and it will be nice to see the others bringing their games up to that level.

8 Snowden
9 Clydesdale
10 Stockwell
11 Rochow
12 Tariq
13 Smith

14 Levi
15 Paea
16 Korbin
17 Tapine

Yosh

Coach
I'm happy Joey left this season because it gave Sione a chance to play his preferred position for at least half a season. I still think he'll make some blunders this year but be much better for it next season, when we actually have a chance to make the 8.

voltron

Juniors
i didnt realise that we had resigned Jacob Gagai as a mid-season transfer
is he any good? would he figure into our time in any way?

mozza91

Coach
i didnt realise that we had resigned Jacob Gagai as a mid-season transfer
is he any good? would he figure into our time in any way?

He was bog average when he was here previously. May have improved since he left though.

PhilGould

Bench
He won't be in first grade next year. Not sure how old he is but I think he'll have at least 1 or 2 seasons of NSW Cup before he gets a run in first grade. He struggles defensively in NYC but can do some good things in attack and has some potential.

Joel-22

Juniors
It's amazing how much can change in a season.
Last season and even early 2015 we were critical of our forward pack and thought we had one of the best back 5 in the whole comp. In 2016 I actually think at full strength we'll have a good forward pack and a shitty backline.

1.Dane Gagai (he can no longer play centre with his atrocious defence)
2.Jake Mamo
3.Sione Matautai (defence is still suspect but confident it will improve)
4. -
5.Jame McManus/Aku Uate
6.Jarrod Mullen
7.Trent Hodkinson
8.Tariq Sims
9.Danny Levi
10.Korbin Sims
11.Joseph Tapine
12.Robbie Rochow
13.Jack Stockwell

14.Kade Snowden
15.Micky Paea
16.-
17.-

We need a centre.

And of the contracted players we need to lose Houston & Smith and one of Uate or McManus (I think McManus is the odd man out personally - Uate still has plenty of good football in him)

Latest posts