What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

Swarzey

Bench
Vaivai/Mataora/Fitzgibbon/Yates/King.

Not short on potential for 2016 when it comes to our bench.

Whats Doing

Bench
Vai Vai will struggle with the limited interchange as he doesn't have a big motor. Mataora doesn't impress me and just doesn't have power as an impact player.

I would not be resigning these 2 when their contracts are up as they are both not up to NRL standard particularly as bench players.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Vai Vai will struggle with the limited interchange as he doesn't have a big motor. Mataora doesn't impress me and just doesn't have power as an impact player.

I would not be resigning these 2 when their contracts are up as they are both not up to NRL standard particularly as bench players.
I think someone like Vaivai benefits from the change in interchange.

We should be looking for front rowers capable of 60 minutes of footy with the bench player making huge impact for 20 or so minutes.

Whats Doing

Bench
I think someone like Vaivai benefits from the change in interchange.

We should be looking for front rowers capable of 60 minutes of footy with the bench player making huge impact for 20 or so minutes.

My view is we should be looking for players who have both a big motor and impact. No good if one of the starting front rowers goes off in the first 10 minutes, Vai Vai only has 10 minutes in him after which he struggles big time. I would rather have front row rotations of 45/35 rather than 60/20.

Also when it comes to injury/suspension, we cannot expect players who are used to only doing 20 minutes to step up and play 60 minutes. That is why we need players who can go the distance which Vaivai certainly cannot.

Only need to look at the front row benches of the top 4 sides and we are miles behind.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Last edited:
We have forwards on the bench who can tighten the middle but offer nothing with the football in hand. That makes us so vulnerable.

slotmachine

First Grade
Only need to look at the front row benches of the top 4 sides and we are miles behind.

Even teams outside the 8, like the Raiders with Vaughan and Boyd.

Hell, we're looking at Matagi who can't make the Chooks best 17 but would be a walk up start here.
Not to mention the Dogs, with Klemmer sitting on the bench making 200m in 40 minutes. A Knights prop wouldn't have made 200m in the last 10 years.

Whats Doing

Bench
Even teams outside the 8, like the Raiders with Vaughan and Boyd.

Hell, we're looking at Matagi who can't make the Chooks best 17 but would be a walk up start here.
Not to mention the Dogs, with Klemmer sitting on the bench making 200m in 40 minutes. A Knights prop wouldn't have made 200m in the last 10 years.

Yep.

Matagi looked really good against us on Sunday. He would be an excellent pick up.

Joker's Wild

Coach
We have forwards on the bench who can tighten the middle but offer nothing with the football in hand. That makes us so vulnerable.

Do we?

We used to with guys like Faalongo and Houston but both of them have been far from stellar middle defenders in recent times.

Our defence across the park has been terrible all year. That is whats made us vulnerable

Do we?

We used to with guys like Faalongo and Houston but both of them have been far from stellar middle defenders in recent times.

Our defence across the park has been terrible all year. That is whats made us vulnerable

You would have to ask them what changed and in Dave's case we know his neck is possibly the reason. As for Houston he will always go down as the bloke who probably never really had ambition to better himself. His frame looks more basketballer than footballer.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I agree mate. My point was we havent had a tight middle defence for quite awhile

Everyone likes to bag Snowden for his penalties and dropped ball, and fair enough, but not enough credit is given to him and Korbin for their defence in the middle. Once they go off we open up like a $1 Thai hooker

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Korbin Sims made around that about a month ago.

180 is not 200.

I always though korbin looked out of place in the front row and was a lock, but he's really warming up.

He's one of only three forwards to averages over 100m this year (110m), along with his bro (120m) and Snowden (125m).

Lately he seems to have 2 very good games then 1 quiet one. If he can find consistency next season I think he will go ahead of snowy as our best metre gainer.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
180 is not 200.

I always though korbin looked out of place in the front row and was a lock, but he's really warming up.

He's one of only three forwards to averages over 100m this year (110m), along with his bro (120m) and Snowden (125m).

Lately he seems to have 2 very good games then 1 quiet one. If he can find consistency next season I think he will go ahead of snowy as our best metre gainer.
I was going off the Knights site which had him at 196m I think, which isn't too far off.

Agree with you, he's came along nicely this year and is progressing into a fine prop. I'd probably just have him ahead of Snowy atm. He has slightly less metres but you get quicker play-the-balls and less errors and penalties given away with Korbin. Could get a QLD jumper next year if he continues to improve.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Not too fussed about Mataora but I think it's abit too early to give up on Vai Vai, I feel he's just one good off season away from being a very useful impact player, he's got size, good late footwork and the ability to offload. If he was at a club like the roosters, with their stronger culture they'd probably turn him into a weapon. Unfortunately I don't think there's a strong enough culture here ATM to bring young guys like him along.

1. Gagai
2. Mamo
3. Macmanus
4. Matautia
5. Uate
6. Mullen (c)
7. Hodkinson
8. Snowden
9. Levi
10. Stockwell
11. Rochow (vc)
12. Tims
13. Kims

14. Smith
15. Paea
16. Tapine
17. Reserved for the most in form forward in the lower grades

I dont believe in bench utilities. Having 4 forwards on the bench will be even more important with the new interchange rules.

From the get go our spine should be gagai mullen hokko and levi everything must revolve around these guys and they need to have their best off seasons ever working on combinations. We have always looked better with levi on the field.

Latest posts