What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team 2016

Spot On

Coach
The problem we've faced as a club has been, once these juniors come through, that they feel a sense of entitlement. They get signed up to big contract extensions and their form/intensity then drops off. Sometimes they don't even show the form or talent that warrants the big dollars in the first place.

The positive from Brown so far is that he has been happy to show the door to a highly paid junior because they were not providing anywhere near good value (I'm looking at you, Clydsdale...).

The whole Newcastle system reminds me of the teaching profession- a new year rolls around and you are guaranteed a pay rise because you are more experienced. It doesn't matter if you were sub-standard or mediocre- you put in the hours so you're entitled to the pay rise.

How big a pay rise do they get each year?

Spot On

Coach
2.5% of how much though? It's really not that lucrative is it? I'd suggest there wouldn't be many player managers happy to accept a 2.5% increase on their player's previous salary. We're talking close to the inflation rate. That's crap.

Burwood

Bench
2.5% of how much though? It's really not that lucrative is it? I'd suggest there wouldn't be many player managers happy to accept a 2.5% increase on their player's previous salary. We're talking close to the inflation rate. That's crap.

That's only the % negotiated by the union. All up, my pay has increased ~14% since March this year, and it's been largely based on my length of service and having moved up the incremental pay scale.

perverse

Referee
Why the f**k didn't we tell him we were trying to trade him earlier? Can't ever remember seeing him look so fit. Those f**king legs, man... I mean they've always been ridiculous, really.

2OM77aP.png

Good to see these 2 getting flogged along with the first grade squad, too.

4lUjIzj.jpg

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Both Cogger and Lamb look like they need every minute of this pre-season they can get, and the next one too. Need to get some kegs on them, I'd like to see them debut this year if an opportunity presents.

Burwood

Bench
Do they have any utility value at all? If Randell doesn't come along in leaps and bounds this year and Levi keeps improving, I'd like to see one of either Cogger or Lamb given bit of an opportunity to be eased into first grade off the bench.

PhilGould

Bench
Lamb is a 6 or 7 through and through, not someone you'd bring off the bench. Cogger is a halfback who's played a bit of hooker but at this stage is nowhere ready to play either in first grade. 2 of our new signings, David Bhana and Krys Freeman, look like they could be hooker/backrow utility players. No idea if they're close to NRL standard though.

harrywilliams

Juniors
Cogger will do some training at hooker, he played both in the halves and hooker for the Australian schoolboys during the last tournament.

Brock Lamb kills it wherever he plays, he's the one we need to watch. He's obviously a star playmaker but he's also played fullback in the NYC last year and destroyed the other teams. He scores tries, sets them up one after the other and is a brilliant goal kicker with a brilliant running and kicking game.

Swarzey

Bench
What. The. f**k?

NEVER seen him that fit. Holy shit. Actually took me a second to realise who it was; hopefully it leads to results on the field.

Aku's knee issues has got to be 90% his weight from years gone by. I had a knee issue and lost ten kgs and it has never bothered me since. He looks very agile there. Our former speed machine may still have it. in him. He will actually be stronger to. He is all muscle now. Bulk only works if you have underlying momentum to start with.

Frederick

Staff member
He can be the fittest man on the planet - won't mean shit if he still can't rugby league

perverse

Referee
He's the only winger I've ever seen score from catching his own teams kickoff. But yeah, guy can't play obvs.

perverse

Referee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgw9olzjbg&feature=youtu.be&t=6m13s

Can't play football...

At the end of the day, I still want the guy in these highlight clips from 2009-2011 in my team. It's a long time ago, but there's been a lot of good to go with the bad between then and now, too. I still have hope for the bloke, even if it's just returning to 80 or 90% of the player we know he can be. There hasn't been a better Knight since Joey at actually getting my pulse going and getting me excited about the footy.

All I know is, he hasn't looked that fit since I can remember. I don't even think he was as fit as he looks now in his prime. It surely isn't a bad sign.

Latest posts