What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team Culture

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Back in the days when the Dragons ruled the roost among many factors for the ongoing success, was the bonding between the team off the field.

Finally there seems to be a recognition that this is the fundamental key in developing a winning culture.

" Part of Marshall's evolution has been off the field where he has grown to become an important part of the Dragons leadership group. Marshall has led the squad's social gatherings and will get his first chance to lead St George Illawarra after being named captain of the club's Auckland Nines team. "Now I really feel part of the team and I can direct the team around," Marshall said. "I've grown up having everyone around and as a team I think that's the sort of stuff that builds cultures. Instead of having two or three blokes go for coffee, it's everyone going. Because we have half [the squad living] in Sydney and half in Wollongong, everyone makes the point to come which is pretty awesome."

I predict this Dragons team is going to kick some serious ass this season

RedVDragon

Juniors
Ruthless we have a strong minded coach in Mary. I agree with you however others that think know rugby league may disagree with you. You will know who they are their the ones called the key board heros.

rainman44

Bench
Ruthless we have a strong minded coach in Mary. I agree with you however others that think know rugby league may disagree with you. You will know who they are their the ones called the key board heros.
I dont think having a opinion means that your a key board hero, so you guys know what your talking about but others dont? Well my opinion is that we are no stronger then last year in the forwards and weaker in the backs because the loss of Morris and cant see us a force this year but next year we will be back as a club due to Mulholland going shopping for top shelf forwards or close to it.

I dont think having a opinion means that your a key board hero, so you guys know what your talking about but others dont? Well my opinion is that we are no stronger then last year in the forwards and weaker in the backs because the loss of Morris and cant see us a force this year but next year we will be back as a club due to Mulholland going shopping for top shelf forwards or close to it.

And we're no stronger in the coaching department. Just saying.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee

Yeah, but they are having coffee together now...so, y'know, Top 4 here we come...

hardbaby

Coach
The heading was "team culture" and that is the true issue for me. It starts with the Board and Doust, pushes through the coaching ranks and ends with the players. Nothing has changed at the very top (and hasn't for years). We have added an excellent recruitment manager (takes a few years for that to bear fruit) and two ex-players with minimal coaching experience. We have lost our best player, culled some dead wood and only really signed one dominant player in Packer (and he hasn't played in ages).

So will it get better? In theory, no. But maybe. Just maybe. Marshall should improve with an off-season under his belt and he was a star not long ago. Dugan is a freak. Widdop will improve. Merrin, Friz, JDB, Thompson etc all have potential. But it truly is about mindset and culture. And that is where we really have been off the pace in past seasons. Disgustingly so in my opinion.

saints4ever

First Grade
We have a weakened squad since last year. That year we had a decent squad. Our backs were our strength, our forwards were the weakness. Since then we have lost quality in the backs and replaced with maybes and long shots. We have gained next to nothing in the forwards. Mary has done nothing Price didn't do.
If we get past the finals it will be a miracle

Dezziedc

Juniors
I dont think having a opinion means that your a key board hero, so you guys know what your talking about but others dont?

I'm not entirely sure it's the fact that people have differing opinions that is the issue here. I think it's the way people frame it. Using derogatory terms and strong language to get your point across, whether it is aimed at someone directly or not, automatically gets people offside. You don't have to swear, call people names or use words like 'stupid' or 'dumb' to get your point across.

Another issue is the sly remarks or thinly veiled sarcasm that gets people riled up. I have no doubt that many times this is directed at individuals on purpose to get a bite out of them (with a fairly high success rate it seems). There is also the use of normally neutral words with negative connotations. Whether people know they are doing it or not, it stereotypes groups of users that people latch onto and continue to use in a negative manner (most likely without knowing the real meanings).

I know Tru has already fought the good battle on this front and was beaten down somewhat - almost resulting in him leaving the forum. I know I have been guilty of aggressive behaviour and have been on a forced hiatus as a result. It's just disappointing that a group of peeps who all have one thing in common, resort to taunts and abusing each other to get their points across.

But I guess this is the interwebs, and it does allow people to be a lot more courageous/cowardly behind the screen.

For the record rainman, I think you are partially right. I too believe that 2016 will be the year we start to become more a force again. However I think we will see some improvement this year. If we do make the 8, I don't think we will last long. The teams that were strong last year are still strong this year, so defeating them will still be an uphill battle this year. But I am optimistic we will be more dominant over the lower places sides than we have been over the past few years. As you said, Mulholland is clearing the way to start building the team for 2016 onwards - assuming of course we can attract the players we need.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, but they are having coffee together now...so, y'know, Top 4 here we come...
don't gloss over the importance of forming a bond with your team mates...

when the chips are down and you're facing a loss, it can be the difference between an attitude of "f**k it, who cares I'm being paid regardless" and going the extra yard to try and win because "I'm not letting my mates down"

watatank

Coach
I can understand your assessments re backs and coaching.
Why do you see the forwards as weaker (a frightening thought)?

If Packer doesn't play (he probably won't) then we have lost Stockwell and then gained players with no first grade experience. That said, we are stronger at hooker which will help. I think the change is more or less neutral overall

TonyT6

Bench
I can understand your assessments re backs and coaching.
Why do you see the forwards as weaker (a frightening thought)?

Our star forwards purchase is Rose, I thought Stockwell had more upside in him than big George.Pumipi had some upside but was sacked & replaced by Le Strange...again no upside.

The rest of our buys are just journeymen replacing journeymen.

I'm not entirely sure it's the fact that people have differing opinions that is the issue here. I think it's the way people frame it. Using derogatory terms and strong language to get your point across, whether it is aimed at someone directly or not, automatically gets people offside. You don't have to swear, call people names or use words like 'stupid' or 'dumb' to get your point across.

What a dumb post.

Straight Shooter

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
It will be interesting to watch the trials and start to get a guage were all the Dragons are at in 2015 season vs 2014

controlling the ruck and kicking game is what I will be watching most to see if we have truly altered this area of our game to compete with the big guns

I do believe we are going to be (that is right going to be a better team then 2014)

I do believe a year is a long time in football for 21,21,23,24 year olds and the likes of Friz, JDB, Merrin, Thomo etc have so much upside in their game just like Dan Hunt rose to a whole new level in 2010 at a similar age

I do believe we can go from 11 wins to 13 wins...........14 or 15 will be a possibility but not likely in my opinion

I dont believe that comparing a 2014 JDB, Merrin, Thomo, Benji, Friz, Hunt, Neilson etc is the same as comparing a 2015 version.........i think they will be better and the difference between 11 wins and 13 wins

NOT TO MENTION:

Duge will be at a new level at FB and so critical in this possie

If Ewan Aitken does a Dylan Walker at right centre well that would be a massive plus for us. If not we have Farrell or PeteM ....we didnt see Farrell really in 2014 due to season ending injury

If Dane Neilson is back to his Melbourne Storm best that would strengthen our left side tremendously

If Eto or Charlie can score more then 14 tries on the wing then that will be higher the Morris's 2014. Lets see how they go about kick returns also and their defence compared to the great BMoz

If Rose is back to his Manly best then he will create havoc around the the opposition line when coming off the bench which is a play we have been lacking badly as we havent had a big boppa as a decoy or missile running at the line.

Rory Obrien has all the potential in the world and with two pre seasons now and a season last with the cutters he could be damaging

Frizzell was injured half the year and i think will be stronger then ever and ready to start making a true impact

Thomo started to look better in the last 10 games.........time for him to make his mark

Creagh will lead our pack just like he did in 2015 and quire frankly he could have a Steve Price ex Warriors type peak in his new role at prop......the guy just eats metres and defensively is so solid

Mike Cooper not only believes in himself but he thinks he belongs.........he will be so much stronger for 2014 and the new rule change will only help the mobile props like Mike

Widdop dropped off and Benji played poorly especially his kicking game moving on the right hand side for the first time in his career..........I can not see them playing worse and only to a whole new level of field control and order in attack

JDB just started to hit his straps and could be a real bad ass in 2015

Merrin played busted half the season prior to his op......and will be ripping and tearing for that new contract where ever it will be

Rein improved dramatically in 2014 and Heath will be breathing down his neck for a spot

Hunt, Ah Mau and Wakeman and Matthews - i personally think all 4 can have serious impact from the bench or starting.......there is no reason in my opinion that Dan Hunt can not find that form that made him a crowd fav a few years back

Packer - if he gets a start will be a quantum rise in our muscle up front and will give us an edge we have needed against the biggest packs

Last edited:

Highland Saint

Juniors
Theres some exciting possibilities in there AG, some more likely than others. The big question over most of them is can our current coaching staff bring out their potential. I also can't wait to see the trials as I want them to be better but can't get enthused on blind faith anymore

Latest posts