What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Eels Game

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, in the spirit of making oneself feel better by looking to the future, here's my side for next week - assuming that Kurt Gidley is back.

1: Milton Thaidy
2: Dustin Cooper
3: Bradley Tighe
4: George Carmont
5: Anthony Quinn
6: Kurt Gidley
7: Andrew Johns (c)
8: Josh Perry
9: Danny Buderus
10: Craig Smith
11: Steve Simpson
12: Clint Newton
13: Blake Mueller

14: Jarrod Mullen
15: Daniel Tolar
16: Todd Lowrie
17: Luke Quigley

Misanthrope

Staff member
Or, if Hagan sees sense and isn't adverse to making a few more drastic changes (and Matt Gidley's back)

3: Mattew Gidley
6: Jarrod Mullen
13: Kurt Gidley

14: Daniel Tolar
15: Adam Woolnough

Johns Magic

Referee
3: Matt Gidley
4: Brad Tighe
13: Luke Quigley

14: Adam Woolnough
16: Matt White/Jesse Royal
17: Daniel Spiteri

Get rid of the passengers. Out go Lowrie, Tanner, Carmont and Salkeld. Woolnough there purely through lack of options.

Look to the future in Royal, White and Spiteri.

When Quigley and Buderus are on the field at the same time we seem to go up a gear. I think it's time Hagan puts on Quigley before it's too late.

Mullen won't play. Be it through injury or the fact he is representing Australian Schoolboys next week.

Why the hell does Hagan insist on only using Tolar at the death? It's confusing and stupid when players like Tanner and Lowrie are there instead.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I like a few of your ideas. I played with having Quigley at lock, but wasn't too sure. He's certainly deserving of a start, if possible.

If Mullen didn't play, I'd probably go with a side similar to what you've suggested. f**k Royal off though. I'd rather bring in Worth or White.

Johns Magic

Referee
If not Royal, definitely not Worth. White for sure.

Worth is a toiler with very poor lateral defence, not going to win us games.

White seems to have a bit more power about him. I can seeWhite as a future benchie. I can't say the same about Worth.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think it'd be a good move to have Quigley at lock, the guy is too small, too slow and not skilled enough to do anything but tackle, he does provide another option at dummy half but I don't think his dummy half play is anything special anyway.

antonius

Coach
I don't think Kidley will be back either if he's re-torn that quad. I agree JM tolar is wasted sitting on the bench for 3/4 of the game. White should've been on the bench in front of most of the guys there this year his ommission is another of the mysteries that surround some of the team selections. I really would like to see Spiteri given a run this year, don't know how he went yesterday (judging by the score not very well) but he's been very good oin the games I've seen him in this season. Woolnough I think is suffering the nervous wobbles because of his recent neck problems, it's a shame because before it he was a very promising forward, he seems to have lost a lot of confidence.

Earl said:
I thought Melbourne were playing the Roosters next week?

They are Earl. Hey nice avatar/sig I tried to work out who it was - Matt King? He looked different playing for NSW

Yeah u r right about the draw - I thought we were playing the Eels at Parramatta. I think CWB must have been thinking of our next HOME game but he did say next week. Does someone want to change the top? Are you powerful enough to do that Dilley or is that also something that's beyond you?

CycloneSteve

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
Or, if Hagan sees sense and isn't adverse to making a few more drastic changes (and Matt Gidley's back)

3: Mattew Gidley
6: Jarrod Mullen
13: Kurt Gidley

14: Daniel Tolar
15: Adam Woolnough

Good Lord above.......that team resembles something close to our best team possible....short of Abes and Boozey

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Ok here goes my attempt

1. David Seage (didnt do anything drastically wrong in PL last night regardless of the end score)
2. Milton Thaiday
3. Matt Gidley
4. George Carmont (have been impressed with his last 3 games)
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Kurt Gidley
7. Andrew Johns (C)
8. Craig Smith
9. Danny Buderus
10. Josh Perry
11. Steve Simpson
12. Clint Newton
13. Reegan Tanner

14. Adam Woolnough
15. Daniel Tolar
16. Luke Quigley
17. Dustin Cooper

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Carmont and Gidley have a mortgage on the starting centres spots, so even tho Cooper should be starting, he most likely will be on the bench.

macavity

Referee
Cooper GOTTA start at centre. He has me sold. Like a clone of Matt King the man is.

Carmont to the wing - although Salkeld did some good things last night and Quinny is improving.

We actually have options for once (in some positions anyway) - its just a pity that we dont have as many 'must picks' as we once did...

chinorocks

Juniors
Seage
Thaiday
M.Gidley
Cooper
Quinn
K.Gidley/Tighe (To my knowledge Mullen is unavaliable)
Johns
Perry
Buderus
Smith
Newton
Simpson
Tanner

Woolnough
Tolar
Lowrie
Quigley

Johns Magic

Referee
If we do go with Seage at fullback, I'd love to see Cooper and Thaiday on the same side in attack. Something like

2. Thaiday
3. Cooper

Thaiday would be electric if he could burst onto Cooper's offloads. Cooper's size allows him to get an arm free and pop the ball out with ease.

chriswalkerbush said:
Well, in the spirit of making oneself feel better by looking to the future, here's my side for next week - assuming that Kurt Gidley is back.

3: Bradley Tighe
13: Blake Mueller

14: Jarrod Mullen

Thats a really good team, CWB but I'd get rid of Tigh if Gidley or Hughes is available his had two horrors in a row, and get rid of Lowrie who adds nothing in attack and bring in a big bloke preferably White or Royal.

Lets hope Hagan uses his brain and realises that the spoon is ours after this weekend as these blokes were the last of the easy beats and starts giving the youngins a go, I think that we really need to start using Quigley as a lock or backrower as even though he doesnt add anything in attack his a defence madman.

And yes Tanner and Wooly would be gooorrrrnnnneski's IMO to.

macavity said:
Cooper GOTTA start at centre. He has me sold. Like a clone of Matt King the man is.

Carmont to the wing - although Salkeld did some good things last night and Quinny is improving.

We actually have options for once (in some positions anyway) - its just a pity that we dont have as many 'must picks' as we once did...

I'd love to see.

1. Seage. - Thaiday's starting to give my some nightmares positionally and defensively.
2. Carmont. - Great in attack and out of dumbing half + we all know he isnt the best passer in the world.
3. Gidley - Lot of people have written him off but his still our classiest back and once gets over injuries, could be big again IMO.
4. Cooper - Big strong, hungry and tough in defence.
5. Thaiday - Fast and wont scare me defencivley anymore.

Then on the fringe we have your Quinns, Salkends, Halls ect.