What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for first semi

K-Man

Bench
antonius said:
With all due respect, Carmonts form has been very good of late, he deserves his place in the side.

I've never been a big believer in selecting a player just because his form, by his own standards, is excellent, when you have a better player in Premier League. It's a bit like saying Johns should be left out next game because Mullen is playing so well, or that why should Abes come back when Tanner has been playing better than ever? You pick your best team, that's why.

Let me ask you this, for all the times Carmont is doing something good, do you really think it's because he is Carmont? Or is it more often because someone else has done all the work and all he has to do is catch the ball to be in space. What I'm suggesting is that Tighe would also have had a blinder last night, simply because of the opportunities that were created for the centre. Then everyone would be saying how great Tighe played and how he is so much better than Carmont.

I get the feeling there's a bit of "out sight, out of mind" with Tighe. People have forgotten how good he was.

What about when Mullen put Carmont away, and he threw that terrible pass to Quinn? We ended up scoring anyway, but it's an example of how even when he looks good (making a break) he's not really that good, as most centres would've put the ball on Quinn's chest for the try.

Carmont never powers over the line, he never beats his made for speed, he doesn't have as good a passing game as Tighe, and he seriously doesn't have a left foot step - it's all about the sideline for Georgie.

K-Man

Bench
vippo19 said:
Yeah him and Quin are forming a really good combo (goodbye Quinn:cry: ). Your bench could be a bit light too K-man.

Well I just replaced Bailey and Lowrie with Brown and Reynoldson, so in fact I've added weight to the bench that just won by 36 points.

1 prop, 1 second-rower/occassional prop, 1 backrower, and 1 backrower/utility (all of them over 90 kgs) is not a light bench in my opinion.

Ben

Bench
The position of fullback will be extremely tough to decide. Seage played excellent last night and from that performance he should maintain his position. But we all know that Thaiday is phenomenal at his best and we are just waiting for this to come out from inside him.

If judging both players in peak form, Thaiday is ten folds better than Seage in attack. Thaiday has the ability to sneak through tiny gaps and working off Johns' hip he can be destructive. On the other hand, Seage is so safe in defence. I still have not seen him drop a bomb in his first grade career, and even when he got wrong footed last night, he was still able to pull off the tackle.

So i guess it all comes down to what Hagan thinks will win the Grand Final. A pacey attacking exciting Thaiday, or a safe Mr Reliable Seage.

roopy

Referee
I don't think fullback will be a hard decision. Thaiday has carried an injury to help out the team, and it hasn't really worked. He is not at his best, and Seage has been looking good in PL for a few months now.
Thaiday is only a chance if he can shake his injury completely in the next two weeks IMO.

Roy

Juniors
CWBush said:
I think excluding Thaiday is a bad move. Whilst his defensive lapses at the back are a problem, his spark and impact is just the kind of x-factor that could tip a hard fought final in our favour. Not sure where to fit him, but there's got to be room somewhere there for him. My side would be:

1: Milton Thaiday
2: Brian Carney
3: Matthew Gidley
4: George Carmont
5: Anthony Quinn
6: Jarrod Mullen
7: Andrew Johns (c)
8: Craig Smith
9: Danny Buderus
10: Josh Perry
11: Steve Simpson
12: Clint Newton
13: Kirk Reynoldson

14: Adam Woolnough
15: Luke Davico
16: Daniel Abraham
17: Kurt Gidley

:clap: :clap:
If thats the team named i will be a very very very happy man.

chinorocks

Juniors
I'll be happy with either fullback. They both bring different assets and dimensions to the team. But with my "coaches hat" on if everyone is availiable this would be my team:

Thaiday
Quinn
Gidley
Carmont
Carney
Mullen
Joey
Perry
Buderus
Woolnough
Simpson
Newton
Reynoldson

Davico
Smith
Gidley
Abraham (I have no doubt it will be Tanner though.)

The Devil

Bench
chinorocks said:
Thaiday
Quinn
Gidley
Carmont
Carney

Surely you mis-typed the centre-wing combos.

I believe Smith deserves to be in the side, he hardly puts a foot wrong and does what is required of him.

chinorocks

Juniors
Smith is on my bench on form thats the best he can hope for IMO.

Don't care about the order of my outside back we all know who will be playng outside who.

CJKnight

Juniors
If Thiaday is fit I would play him at Fullback because of his ability to match it with guys like Inglis/Slater/Stewart/Patten/etc. And it didn't exactly hurt us at the beginning of the year to have him back there.
Smith would have to start off the bench for mine because of both injury and Woolie's great form.
Abraham simply has the experience necessary for the finals just edging out Brown as the Utility player on my bench.

antonius

Coach
K-Man said:
I've never been a big believer in selecting a player just because his form, by his own standards, is excellent, when you have a better player in Premier League. It's a bit like saying Johns should be left out next game because Mullen is playing so well, or that why should Abes come back when Tanner has been playing better than ever? You pick your best team, that's why.

Let me ask you this, for all the times Carmont is doing something good, do you really think it's because he is Carmont? Or is it more often because someone else has done all the work and all he has to do is catch the ball to be in space. What I'm suggesting is that Tighe would also have had a blinder last night, simply because of the opportunities that were created for the centre. Then everyone would be saying how great Tighe played and how he is so much better than Carmont.

I get the feeling there's a bit of "out sight, out of mind" with Tighe. People have forgotten how good he was.

What about when Mullen put Carmont away, and he threw that terrible pass to Quinn? We ended up scoring anyway, but it's an example of how even when he looks good (making a break) he's not really that good, as most centres would've put the ball on Quinn's chest for the try.

Carmont never powers over the line, he never beats his made for speed, he doesn't have as good a passing game as Tighe, and he seriously doesn't have a left foot step - it's all about the sideline for Georgie.
We are going to have to disagree. I was one of the guys who was saying that Tighe had gotten a raw deal at the start of the year, and thought he should've got first go at centre in front of Carmont. However Carmont has improved in leaps and bounds in an area that everyone (including me) was going off about, and that is defense, and that is an area that lets Tighe down I'm affraid (he aint the best defender in the world) Carmont has scored some very difficult tries this year for us, and his defense has saved us on quite a few occasions. I think he has played every bit as well in first grade as Tighe has in Premier league,in fact his form has been better than Tighes has in Premier league, and there-fore he has earnt his place in the side, he and Quinn have partnered in quite a lot of our tries this season. Tighe will get a shot next year, but logic, and form says that George should keep his spot and he will, there is no way he will get dropped and he doesn't deserve too either.

CJKnight

Juniors
In fact I was watching the Penrith game with my dad, and he couldn't help saying contunually throughout the game:

"When did that nice person Carmont learn to tackle? I can't believe my eyes."

Stranger

Coach
IMO, if we are going to have a shot at the title then Thiaday CANNOT be in the team. He is just to much of a liability, and defensively seage is Far to good not to be a fullback.

We have plenty of attacking potential with Giggles, Carmont, Carney and Quinn. Add Johns and Mullen to the backline, and there isn't a reason that we really need Thiaday for his attack. Our attack will be fine with Johns and mullen, why risk it?

Alex28

Coach
christopherjon said:
If Thiaday is fit I would play him at Fullback because of his ability to match it with guys like Inglis/Slater/Stewart/Patten/etc. And it didn't exactly hurt us at the beginning of the year to have him back there.
When has he been able to keep up with those guys since coming back from injury? A few weeks ago he got run down when running the length of the field - those guys you mentioned wouldn't get outrun by anyone in the comp.

We don't have anyone who is a Slater or an Inglis - maybe we are better off having a guy who can stop that calibre of player rather than getting in an attacking competition with them - thats our best chance of competing in the finals.

keeney

First Grade
Thaiday is slow, and what's he gonna do even if he can match it with him, he's allergic to tackling bar standing in the way of a player. It did hurt us initially, his positioning while generally not that noticeable, is nowhere enar as good as Seage's.

Master Vippo

Juniors
A fit and firing Thaiday (like at the start of the year) im all for, but at the moment, on current form, Seage is a no-brainer selection

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
K-Man said:
Thaiday has to be in the team. He's the only back we have that can genuinely match the attacking spark and threat of guys like Inglis, Slater, SBW etc.

The way I see it is, if we were the best team in the competition by far then we might as well just go with the safest fullback who won't let us down.
But we are the challengers, we need to produce our absolute best to win the premiership and our absolute best includes a Milton Thaiday blinder. I think he's capable of a huge game in the finals, and I think he will produce it.

No disrespect to Seage at all, he's a fine player.

1. Thaiday
2. Quinn
3. Carmont (Still Tighe if I had my way though)
4. Gidley
5. Carney
6. Mullen
7. Johns
8. Perry
9. Buderus
10. Woolnough
11. Simpson
12. Newton
13. Kidley

14. Brown
15. Abraham
16. Reynoldson
17. Davico

No room for Smith (a big call I know, but his form wasn't as good before his injury and his match fitness at 35 won't be great. The others have better claims at this point in my opinion), Lowrie, Tanner, or Seage

To be honest I can see some flaws in that team.

For finals football you need experience, craig smith has heaps of that. Plus just before he got injured his form was improving. Also he'll be fresh and injury free when he returns.

Carmont needs to be in the team. He has far more experience then tighe and carmonts in great form.

Having kidley at lock is a huge mistake. You can;t just throw him in lock first week of the finals. He needs an off season and pre season training to be able to learn the role of a lock, also he needs more size to be in that position.

Brown shouldn't be in the team imo. He's badly injured and kidley would make a good bench player.

Also I'd have gidley at 3, carney at 2, carmont at 4 and quinn at 5. That's where they have been playing all year you'll find.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The team that Hages will most likely pick

1 - Milton Thaiday
2 - Brian Carney
3 - Matt Gidley
4 - George Carmont
5 - Anthony Quinn
6 - Kurt Gidley
7 - Andrew Johns (C)
8 - Craig Smith
9 - Danny Buderus
10 - Josh Perry
11 - Steve Simpson
12 - Clint Newton
13 - Reegan Tanner

14 - Luke Davico
15 - Adam Woolnough
16 - Kirk Reynoldson/Riley Brown
17 - Jarrod Mullen

That said, I'd take Bushy's, or even Roopy's team any day of the week

benno

Juniors
Renoldson gotta be there..Thaiday gotta be there..seage gotta be fullback Mullen gotta be there...Kids gotta be there..he will start at 5/8 cause he can handle the barrage in opening 20...his defence is 2nd to none as well as his enthusiam..i dont like him at 5/8 but for now yes..then mullen come on 15-20 in. kirt can handle lock. The bench is the interesting one Davico Smith certin...i wrekon the back row is a fight between tanner..reno lowrie and brown....Riley will be in premmy to help them for sure and certin....fit one into 4..cause either kids or mullo gonna be on bench first up

I have no idea about Thaiday n seage...seage deservs it...but thaiday is amazing strike power if we could fit him somewhere other then full back...maby ur right..maby sacrifice that backrower and have thaiday and kids/mullo on bench with 2 frontrowers.....its dooable!!

Latest posts