What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for Storm Game Named

lukethejedi

Juniors
Miller won’t hold back
miller_426.jpg

July 5, 2005
spacer.gif
Bullocking prop Josh Miller says he will continue to play with fearless aggression after being recalled to the Canberra Raiders starting team for this Saturday’s match against the Melbourne Storm at Olympic Park.

Miller was rested by the Raiders last weekend after suffering three concussions in the previous two matches.

The 22-year-old has looked at the incidents on tape, and he conceded there had been minor flaws in his tackling technique on those occasions. But known as a player who always puts his body on the line, Miller said it would not change his aggressive style.

“It looks like I might have gone a bit too low in those situations, so I’ve got to work on keeping my eyes up and choosing the best technique for each tackle. But it won’t change the way I play,” Miller said.

“I think I’m playing the best footy since I’ve been in first grade. I’m getting more and more confident every week.”

Miller’s return is welcome news for the Raiders, who will be without prop Andrew Lomu for up to four weeks. Lomu suffered a medial ligament strain in his knee during Sunday’s win over the Penrith Panthers.

Winger Craig Frawley has been named on an extended bench, but he is likely to play if he can convince coaching staff he has recovered from an ankle injury.

The Raiders have struggled against the Melbourne Storm in recent times, losing the last encounters between the two teams.

Miller said the Raiders had to get on top of the Melbourne forward pack, which would restrict the Storm’s talented play-makers like Matt Orford.

“We have to stop their forwards getting a roll on and, if we can do that, it won’t give Orford as much time or space to attack us,” Miller said.

RAIDERS v STORM
Saturday, July 9, 7.30pm
Olympic Park

1. CLINTON SCHIFCOFSKE
2. MICHAEL ROBERTSON
3. DAVID HOWELL
4. ADAM MOGG
5. DAVID MILNE
6. JASON SMITH
7. LINCOLN WITHERS
8. JOSH MILLER
9. SIMON WOOLFORD
10. TROY THOMPSON
11. KRIS KAHLER
12. IAN HINDMARSH
13. JASON CROKER

INTERCHANGE
14. ALAN TONGUE
15. BEN CROSS
16. MICHAEL HODGSON
17. MATT GAFA
18. CRAIG FRAWLEY
19. JASON WILLIAMS

We look very light on backrowers, so much so we have to use that pathetic gafa

edabomb

First Grade
How the hell is Cross there?? Poor team IMO, won't get close to the Storm. Howell leads a very charmed existence.

lukethejedi

Juniors
i would have thought with Lomu out with injury, now would have been a great time to blood Raston, Hinchcliffe or Jones. Cross offers nothing.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
i say move howell to the wing and bring in ale.

the bench should be,

14- Tounge
15- Hodgson
16- Raston
17- Campo

no point in having gafa on the bench..as much as we need another utility player, gafa isnt the answer.

raidersfan

Juniors
Oh god we're gonna get smashed!!! Cross? Gafa? no Lomu?? the only positive I can see is Milne is still there and hasn't been dropped yet like Carney, Campese, Ale, and soon to be Williams.

lukethejedi

Juniors
were any of you at the game in Melbourne last year, if so did you see that crazy kid running up and down the stadium waving his flag making the storm supporters irate.

Raider_69

Post Whore
canberra_raiders2k2 said:
yea lol Cross destroys PL but in FG he stinks..

no doubt but the question was how did he get in the team
to which the answer is simple, injuries to forwards and several strong performances in PL
Personally i would have gone Raston

ausraider

Juniors
How the hell is Gaffa on the bench.The guy at best strolls and at full pace won't even come close to my 78yr old grandma.Another best selection by Elliott.I mean is this the best team we've got?When ddid Lomu injure his knee?

argy-bargy

Juniors
ausraider said:
How the hell is Gaffa on the bench.The guy at best strolls and at full pace won't even come close to my 78yr old grandma.Another best selection by Elliott.I mean is this the best team we've got?When ddid Lomu injure his knee?

mate, at least he's on the bench and not waltsing into our starting lineup as per usual. He's got a bit of size about him so i recon elliot will use him more as a 'zippy' back rower rather than on the wing.

ausraider

Juniors
argy-bargy said:
mate, at least he's on the bench and not waltsing into our starting lineup as per usual. He's got a bit of size about him so i recon elliot will use him more as a 'zippy' back rower rather than on the wing.

But he is useless.

Hayabusa

Juniors
I'm pretty shocked Howell is still there as well, considering how poor the right side defence was. Going up against Melbourne guys like Inglis, Slater and Bell will continually attack that area so I thought Elliot may have been a chance to surprise them and put some size in there with Ale, it would still be no worse than Howell.

Its a shame Lomu is injured as I'd love to see what this forward pack would be capable of with strong healthy minutes on the back of Miller and Lomu setting a platform with Thompson and Hindmarsh attacking the fringes.

Macko8

Juniors
how the f**k is gafa still named on the bench. if elliot hasnt used Raston at this point he never will. where the hell is ALE???

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Give Howell a break - the defence on the other side of the field was pretty compressed if I remember correctly. Therefore, when they sent the ball out his way, they had a pretty handy overlap.

Seems like Gafa is the new Bulgarelli to me - at least that is the impression I get from this forum

dubby

Bench
Why do some of you guys insist on selecting virtual unknowns from PL? Raston? Please....

If Cross turns up to play, and I mean IF, he is a very strong runner and defender. He should be miles ahead of Raston.

Gafa, yep, this guy doesn't know how to get dropped. He and Elliot must be related or something. :rolleyes: This selecton really illustrates how light on we are for good outside backs. Campo is a slug (like Gafa), Robbo is only mediocre, Howell is solid, you need to be more than that to handle Mebournes backline, Mogg, see Robbo, our hope lies in Jas Smith and Shif. Melbournes backs have scored more tries than nearlly any other backline (except maybe Brisbane). We are in real trouble here guys....

Defence is the key, so is ball control and field position. We want the Storm going 90 metres to score, not 20. If we contain them in the forwards and shut down Orford, we have a real chance. No stupid penalties, no dropped ball, starve the Storm of the ball and make them work for it. Slow the game down too. They hate playing that way, but its our only chance. Lets play ugly.

Hayabusa

Juniors
The thing I don't understand about Howell is why he is playing in the centres when he was initially put into first grade on the wing for his ability under the high ball. To me he just seems out of position and if thats the case and Matty feels he isn't strong enough to move out Milne, Frawley or Chalk for a wing spot then why keep playing him in the centres.

We have guys with the builds of wingers in the 3 and 4 but yet have sizable quick backs in Chalk and Ale who can find a tryline playing but are playing on the wings or in PL. Credit where credit is due, Howell has been solid and more reliable than other backs this year I just really feel he isn't built for the centre position and is therefore limited. Its the same with Phil Graham. Even though he was a little shakey on debut Ale is the prototypical centre and a guy we should really be pushing hard to develop.