What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday - Eels v Panthers - week 1 finals

IFR33K

Coach
Did you see the NSW Cup semi final ? Too many errors and half arsed efforts. Good that he’s going around next year as we need experienced leadership in Cup, but now is not the time to be playing Rein in NRL in a 1 v 4 match.

Carty is also an option for utility however can he be trusted ? He is still that player who is lazy in defence and won’t bend his back. Doesn’t really have a kicking game other than a grubber and doesn’t really have a reliable accurate long spread ball to give us the width that we need.

I don’t think that we should be focused on who can do a job for 5 mins, it’s more about who can do a job for 30+ mins if we get a crucial injury or HIA.

I didn’t watch it no. But I’ve watched some highlights of ja and he’s hardly set the world on fire either.

not sure where u get the trust issues with Carty you keep harping on about. his few games in grade have been decent, last start against the dogs he was actually good. Could cover in the middle and edge for short cameos and slot into hooker/halves if need be for a short stint.

yy_cheng

Coach
Re the bench

What we want is Lane and Ice playing 80 minutes.
We also want Jnr and Matto and RCG playing big minutes through the middle
Marata should start at 13 and play 25 through the middle as well
Oregan should also get a 25 minute stir through the middle
How many minutes are left??

Fair enough if you think Ice needs a rest. He didn't look tired to me, he just clocked off. And Carty is NOT a substitute out wide for defensive alertness...

We just need a couple of guys on the bench in case of injury/ HIA.
Marata covers the 2nd rowers out wide - so who comes on the bench to cover him in the middle in case he needs to shuffle wide? Make? Then we need spine cover. Who can play at 9? Jake.
For paps it might be mental exhaustion and not so physical

Gronk

Staff member
I didn’t watch it no. But I’ve watched some highlights of ja and he’s hardly set the world on fire either.

not sure where u get the trust issues with Carty you keep harping on about. his few games in grade have been decent, last start against the dogs he was actually good. Could cover in the middle and edge for short cameos and slot into hooker/halves if need be for a short stint.
Well Carty's career is his making and his efforts with other clubs and ours is plain to see.

As I said ^^^ this is not about a "short stint". That 17th spot needs to be a merkin who can fill the void for 30+ mins and one lazy effort can end our season.

Well Carty's career is his making and his efforts with other clubs and ours is plain to see.

As I said ^^^ this is not about a "short stint". That 17th spot needs to be a merkin who can fill the void for 30+ mins and one lazy effort can end our season.
His efforts with our club are plain to see? That's probably why so many people want him in the team. His efforts in defence with us aren't an issue.

strider

Post Whore
If you want to rest papa then keep in mind you are gonna have to potentially burn 2 interchanges to do it. You will want him starting and probably want him finishing. Unless you are going to slide a middle over to the edge for some period of the game, maybe matto, so you can use your interchanges for fresh middles, then it will cost you.

IFR33K

Coach
Did you see the NSW Cup semi final ? Too many errors and half arsed efforts. Good that he’s going around next year as we need experienced leadership in Cup, but now is not the time to be playing Rein in NRL in a 1 v 4 match.

Carty is also an option for utility however can he be trusted ? He is still that player who is lazy in defence and won’t bend his back. Doesn’t really have a kicking game other than a grubber and doesn’t really have a reliable accurate long spread ball to give us the width that we need.

I don’t think that we should be focused on who can do a job for 5 mins, it’s more about who can do a job for 30+ mins if we get a crucial injury or HIA.

And if you’re going to talk about how rein went, it’s not like ja has been in great form either. Remember that Newcastle game we won 39-2 or whatever it was. That game ja had 3 or 4 errors.

or what about against south’s a few weeks ago where ja gave away a few 7 tackle sets with long ranges kicks

Are they the type of trust issues you seem to have with Bryce? Or youre simply happy to overlook them when it comes to ja?

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
there’s no doubt he adds a little to the team. Also has a spring in his step, and could easily create a few opportunities if we’re chasing points.
I think if he thinks run first then he will add value like jnr

He is just so unpredictable and can throw off a structured defense

I'm happy if he keeps dummying and run coz the defense thinks he is gonna pass

yy_cheng

Coach
Carty's definitely A true x factor

Our team sometimes has mental fatigue i reckon carty can spark the next wind in them

yy_cheng

Coach
If you want to rest papa then keep in mind you are gonna have to potentially burn 2 interchanges to do it. You will want him starting and probably want him finishing. Unless you are going to slide a middle over to the edge for some period of the game, maybe matto, so you can use your interchanges for fresh middles, then it will cost you.
Not sure but how many interchanges do we usually use

Glenneel

Bench
I really hope Carty gets the utility spot on the bench this week.

Whatever fitness issue Moses had he seems to be over it and Carty could do a job at 5/8 and Dylbags has upped his playmaker role this season so, in the likelihood of Mitch having to come off, I think it's a gamble we need to take.

We switched off at the end of the Storm game and when you look at Ice's lack of interest in defense, it really looked like fatigue to me and we need to have a utility who can play in the halves and back row and Carty is the man who can do this for us. We need to use our whole bench as there is more intensity in the finals.

Sitting JA on the bench for 75 mins is not gonna get us to the GF.
Already posted this in Rumours and Stuff, copy cat!!!