What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday GRAND FINAL 2/10/22: PARRAMATTA EELS v Penrith Panthers

King-Gutho94

Coach
Well this rivalry just got bigger if it wasn't already. Always goes up a notch once you play a team in a GF.

Parra and Penrith played just 2 finals against each other between 1967 and 2020.

Now we will play 3 finals in 2 seasons.

And a GF.

When was the last time a sydney local derby happened in a GF.

Parra v Dogs in 1986.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Team list Tuesday prediction:

Gutherson
Sivo
Penisini
Opacic (hopefully fit)
Blake (will be named to start... wait and see what Coach Arthur does come game day?)
Brown
Moses
Campbell-Gillard
Mahoney
Paulo
Lane
Papali'i
Matterson (though we all know it will be Nuikore starting)
-
Simmonsen (!! - named in 17 as a reward for getting the job done in the prelim...)
Arthur (hopefully overlooked on game day for the inclusion of another forward?)
Kaufusi
Nuikore (though we all know it will be Matterson from the bench after 20mins)
-
Makatoa (I think he's likely to be selected on the game day bench...)
Cartwright
N Brown
[#21 random name]
[#22 random name]

1 game left, have to leave it all on the line, does BA put his kid on the bench for a 'just in case' scenario? Surely we go balls to the wall now and use the entire bench.
He got us to a GF though, I'll trust his judgement.
I don't trust it. As happy as I am this is the fly in the ointment. We lose a half and we're screwed anyway. Jake doesn't cover enough contingencies that actually matter. Obviously he's not going to drop him but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I don't trust it. As happy as I am this is the fly in the ointment. We lose a half and we're screwed anyway. Jake doesn't cover enough contingencies that actually matter. Obviously he's not going to drop him but that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.
Bailey covers more off the bench especially if an outside back goes.

Simply if we lose Moses we are screwed anyway.

He couldn't get KO 2 games in a row against Penrith surely.

the phantom menace

First Grade
"Clint Gutherson, Mitchell Moses, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Junior Paulo have all played State of Origin for NSW, but only Matterson and Simonsson, who featured for the Raiders in the 2019 decider, have gone all the way to an NRL grand final."

If Opacic is fit, that's another reason for picking Simonssen over Blake come game day - and training that way all week.

Chipmunk

Coach
We should be reviewing Origin 1 and 3 this week. There has to be key aspects in those matches that could provide something for us to target for us to get over the Panthers.

Even if it is something small, it might just help.

The first thing we really need to do is target Cleary when he's kicking. And Waqa obviously needs to keep his eyes on the f**ken ball.

We should be reviewing Origin 1 and 3 this week. There has to be key aspects in those matches that could provide something for us to target for us to get over the Panthers.

The first thing we really need to do is target Cleary when he's kicking. And Waqa obviously needs to keep his eyes on the f**ken ball.
I said that after the Penrith game. Qld killed Cleary. Showed how to do it

Bandwagon

Staff member
Let's be honest if Moses went down we ain't winning so irrelevant if Jake is there or not. Why not pick a player that covers more positions.

I agree there, we are not going to scrape through if we lose the likes of Moses, we'd be better off covering for fatigue on our bench or an injury to a forward. Even having a different option for covering a HIA in the forwards that doesn't f**k with normal rotation.

Although I'd like to see cover for Rheed, even if it is just to spell him for ten because I reckon it's likely the first half is gonna be super f**king intense through the middle and he'll be required to do a shit ton of defensive work

Bandwagon

Staff member

I said that after the Penrith game. Qld killed Cleary. Showed how to do it

It was pressure, but Origin is reffed differently and you get away with more, and Penrith protect Cleary far better than NSW did, so I don't know that there'd be all that much those games can teach us.

I don't think there is a "game plan" that will beat Penrith beyond hold the f**king ball, get to your kick and make it count, and make your tackles. If we are to win it'll be because we dominated possession and field position for good chunks of the game, and our first up contact is good enough to stop or at least limit them getting that roll on through the middle with quick PTB. The second half last night showed how quickly they can gain momentum winning the ruck through the middle.

yy_cheng

Coach
I reckon ba will say to waqa and bailey, go practice taking bombs with moses and whoever hoiking them up.

Then come wed, they have a catch off

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The panthers in week 1 were a lot better then last night. And reckon that final showed we have the game to beat the panthers (we were in it for 60 mins) in a GF, with some improvements:

- have limit errors, complete high, this is what really hurt us in week 1
- play a bit more footy, BA/players have said this was an issue
- obviously need more effort in the kick chase, BA said this was an issue
- keep our line speed up / kick chase
- Blake needs to be catch the footy
- can’t lose Moses

Panther attack is good, but seems we are defend pretty good against it as opposed to other sides like South’s. Last night I didn’t think panthers attack was that great however, they just took advantage of South’s errors / not grinding away for periods.

Latest posts