What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday - Rnd 22 Vs Bunnies

84 Baby

Referee
Don't hold your breath on the kicking game thing...
It's been the game plan for the last 3-4 years.

They call it a box kick - the idea is to have the high ball coming down inside the opposition 10m zone (preferably towards the sideline), so that they have to ruck it out from a corner.
The chase on it this year has been poorly timed so far, and the kicks haven't been all that well executed.

Personally I don't like the tactic, but I doubt there will be a change to it - seems to be BA's method.
Kick chase was really poor last week, so perhaps that aspect improves this week?
Box kick? Isn’t that what Salmon got in trouble for?

But seriously, I said last week, the problem isn’t the kicking itself. We had poorly executed 5th tackles so our kickers were regularly under pressure. Jrthur especially is going to be more risk averse anyway and so especially through middle of game, we did heaps of bog standard, barely bombs straight to Garrick. Wouldn’t even classify them as box kicks.
Kick chase was poor too.
Box kicks themselves are the go to for all of comp, because they’re proven effective at controlling game, but yeah I wish we’d incorporate mixing it up occasionally. Regularly see Reynolds or DCE bomb and chase down the sideline, or do a half bomb/half chip kick between fullback and winger, on top of their torpedoes and reverse torpedoes or whatever is making Joey hard this week.
But again it all comes back to well executed 5th tackles, plus good kick chase.

King-Gutho94

Coach

But seriously, I said last week, the problem isn’t the kicking itself. We had poorly executed 5th tackles so our kickers were regularly under pressure. Jrthur especially is going to be more risk averse anyway and so especially through middle of game, we did heaps of bog standard, barely bombs straight to Garrick. Wouldn’t even classify them as box kicks.
Kick chase was poor too.
Box kicks themselves are the go to for all of comp, because they’re proven effective at controlling game, but yeah I wish we’d incorporate mixing it up occasionally. Regularly see Reynolds or DCE bomb and chase down the sideline, or do a half bomb/half chip kick between fullback and winger, on top of their torpedoes and reverse torpedoes or whatever is making Joey hard this week.
Mitchell kicked a 40/20 the other week that turned the momentum against penrith when was the last time he attempted it before that though.

Mahoney is the only one that normally attempts them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Kick chase was poor too.
That’s right. The fourth tackle settler isn’t just about getting the kicker in the right place. The chasers all need to be in position too. Like the finale in A Chorus Line.

I’ll have to disagree with you there mate. Australia’s smoking policy has been one of the most effective across the globe. Taxation is a very effective lever to change behaviour.

View attachment 64775
Bullshit. Our smoking rate is comparable to such countries as the US, Botswana, India & Mexico. All countries where a pack of darts cost about the same as a packet of crisps

Happy MEel

First Grade
Bullshit. Our smoking rate is comparable to such countries as the US, Botswana, India & Mexico. All countries where a pack of darts cost about the same as a packet of crisps
I’m not sure comparing the price of smokes in developing countries such as Botswana, India and Mexico with the cost within a developed nation like Australia and using that to argue against taxation is sound statistical analysis. You also have to look at the trends for each country, their baseline and their tax policy before you can draw that conclusion. Anyway, the evidence on the effectiveness of taxation on tobacco consumption is sound, but if you really want to look into it here’s a quick link. All of those countries you mentioned also have an excise tax for cigarettes/tobacco.

Last edited:
I’m not sure comparing the price of smokes in developing countries such as Botswana, India and Mexico with the cost within a developed nation like Australia and using that to argue against taxation is sound statistical analysis. You also have to look at the trends for each country, their baseline and their tax policy before you can draw that conclusion. Anyway, the evidence on the effectiveness of taxation on tobacco consumption is sound, but if you really want to look into it here’s a quick link.

But what about the US? I'm sure plenty of people have given up because of the cost but it also coincides with much greater awareness of the dangers of smoking. For me I hated the cost increases but gave up for health reasons.

Happy MEel

First Grade
But what about the US? I'm sure plenty of people have given up because of the cost but it also coincides with much greater awareness of the dangers of smoking. For me I hated the cost increases but gave up for health reasons.
It’s certainly not the only reason and there’s no silver bullet. In your circumstance, your health was the main driver but the fact you hated the cost surely made the decision easier. Taxation and regulation (smoking laws and advertising restrictions) are the most effective levers at a population level though. The link I provided above includes this graph from the US:

5712503D-632A-4A95-BDFD-B19407283008.jpeg

Even their relatively lower taxation policy indicates a correlation between price and sales.

Latest posts