What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday vs Storm - Friday 8:00pm

Gronk

Staff member
Agree that it's hard to take a position when the NRL doesn't share their side. Meanwhile all and sundry on 360 etc are doing their best to white ant the RLPA and make them look like the bad guys. Are they ?

Noise

Coach
The players have no balls to strike. Greedy merkins where money is the most important thing. They don't even have the balls to do a proper media ban. They are only not doing interviews on 'game day' but every merkin with a Fox contract shows up to NRL 360 et al so they get their money. Have some balls and give up some $ for your strike. The RLPA is laughable.

bazza

Immortal
In terms of the minimum wage - how many players actually play for minimum wage? 5 per club? A lower minimum wage in an annually increasing salary cap means what for players 1-25 in the squad?
Really, I want to see the better players rewarded, not the backup of the backups being paid 10k per year more. Those guys are basically in the squad in case of severe injury crisis...
I am actually the opposite - I think those fringe players need to have enough to give up 5 - 10 years of their life with injuries etc and be left with enough to start from scratch for a post football career

On current reported salaries the top 10 or so from each NRL squad should have enough to set themselves up for a comfortable life if they have a good 5 - 10 year career

T.S Quint

Coach
The players have no balls to strike. Greedy merkins where money is the most important thing. They don't even have the balls to do a proper media ban. They are only not doing interviews on 'game day' but every merkin with a Fox contract shows up to NRL 360 et al so they get their money. Have some balls and give up some $ for your strike. The RLPA is laughable.

This is their job. It's what they do to earn a wage.
If money isn't the most important thing then what is?

TheRam

Coach
They probably need to articulate what their dispute is about a little better.

If they did the public would laugh them out and really give them Hell.

Power...power....power...power...power...power...power...power...power...power...power...power...power...power...........

Noise

Coach
This is their job. It's what they do to earn a wage.
If money isn't the most important thing then what is?
They don't have the balls to take a meaningful stand like a proper players strike or refusing any media commitments because they don't want it costing them a single dollar.

T.S Quint

Coach
They don't have the balls to take a meaningful stand like a proper players strike or refusing any media commitments because they don't want it costing them a single dollar.

Going on strike is not an easy thing to do. Giving up money isn't easy either.
If this goes on further it may happen. They are starting small, and it already the media can't handle it. We will see how far it goes.

Noise

Coach
Going on strike is not an easy thing to do. Giving up money isn't easy either.
If this goes on further it may happen. They are starting small, and it already the media can't handle it. We will see how far it goes.
No chance. They couldn't even stick to the game day media boycott with DCE speaking at the 3rd origin, less than a week after they said they were boycotting. Heaps of industries go on strike and give up money. There is no way these greedy merkins have the gumption to do so.

TheRam

Coach
Power to use their money how they see fit.
I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Hahahahaha....

Yes imagine that, what could go wrong? I'm mean the pollies who have the power of the public purse strings don't ever vote themselves nice inflated cushy remuneration packages do they?

Look, they have been given so much already, now they just want to be in control of it all and by default have it over the governing body.

What I think they should be focusing on from here is presenting themselves in the best possible public light, stay out of trouble and work harder then ever before promoting the game that has given the majority of them a start in life that most of us never have.

The pie needs to keep growing, and to limit the governing body in its ability to control all its resources even further is just selfish and actually pulling the ladder up of the next generations of having that pie grow even further. Short sighted greed is what I call it. I'm in the game now, so I want to milk it for as much as I can. Bugger the next lot after me.

If they cared so much for their fellow player at the bottom of the totem poll so to speak, they should have insisted that the minimum wage be set at $250K. That would have made for a more equitable pay structure after all. It would have made paying the likes of some of the over paid stars of the game a lot harder to do.

But instead they want the whole shebang to be in their hands to distribute the way they please. If that isn't a warning signal that it is self interest and greed over what's best for the long term future of the game then I don't know what is.

We need to grow the pie for every generation of players to keep increasing their lot. Not giving in to the current lot who happen to extort the game right now for their own selfish benefit. Money needs to be easily available to reinvest into the grass roots. I see this as a hindrance to that. In fact the players should never have been given all the benefits they currently have without contract guarantees with KPI's attached that they will contribute in every aspect of the game that they said they would but haven't.

Verbal agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Gronk

Staff member
You do realize that the first weekend that the NRL can't deliver their mandated games to the broadcasters, that they have repudiated their contract and the game collapses ? Yet, you are suggesting that the RLPA are laughable and players are gutless for not taking a bigger stance ?

Noise

Coach
You do realize that the first weekend that the NRL can't deliver their mandated games to the broadcasters, that they have repudiated their contract and the game collapses ? Yet, you are suggesting that the RLPA are laughable and players are gutless for not taking a bigger stance ?
So you agree that the players will never strike.

T.S Quint

Coach
I won’t say that they will never strike. Not will I say they definitely will. I don’t know.

I think there’s a lot to work out with this and if it doesn’t get sorted out in the near future then is a possibility.

T.S Quint

Coach
I do think that it’s not fair to call the players a bunch of greedy merkins just because they won’t strike.

Going on strike affects many people within the game, not just the players. It’s not an easy outcome to come to.

Gronk

Staff member
So you agree that the players will never strike.
I'm not in a position to say never. I am in a position to say that a legally pragmatic position would place strike action waaaaay down the option list because it would sabotage the livelihoods of your own player members. This is not an essential service strike like a teachers or rail dispute and needs to be handled differently. Go on a rail strike and all the rolling stock is still there tomorrow. Go on a footy strike and its a house of cards.

Last edited: