What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list

Frenzy.

Immortal
Assuming they can all find clubs for the right money. They are all under contract. Not just gonna walk.

Is there a common denominator though?

Cuthbo is on overs for sure. They will let Fergo walk and he's on overs if the $180k reported in the paper is correct.

There's a fair bet to be had that Matt Wright would of had to get overs to wrest him away from Penrith. Stapo, no idea.

Is the club looking to release players on inflated salaries to fit in with the supposed new "we don't pay overs anymore" tenet?

Or is this a concerted effort to get well under the cap before the backenders kick in?

samshark

Juniors
Is there a common denominator though?

Cuthbo is on overs for sure. They will let Fergo walk and he's on overs if the $180k reported in the paper is correct.

There's a fair bet to be had that Matt Wright would of had to get overs to wrest him away from Penrith. Stapo, no idea.

Is the club looking to release players on inflated salaries to fit in with the supposed new "we don't pay overs anymore" tenet?

Or is this a concerted effort to get well under the cap before the backenders kick in?

Hardly letting Fergo walk. They dont have a choice.
Matt Wright, Stapo. Seriously how much would they be on, Wright was signed from Penrith's SG Ball and is in the middle of a 3 year deal. Stapo was resigned last year to a new deal and has two years to go as well I think. If they are on inflated salaries who is going to buy them anyway? No contracted player can just be released. And my info is that the club wants Wright anyway.

Backended cap problems?? Ive said my peice on this topic as has the new coach publicly. Nothing more to say really. People can believe who they want. But Ill humour you guys for a minute and ask you this question.

A squad of 25 is required to fill a $4.1 million cap. We have 5 or 6 players off contract and have signed no one new. So if we are already at the cap meaning we cant sign anyone and have to try to release contracted players, what does give us 17 players or something? Who fills the spots. How did we just offer Kris Keating $200k or thereabouts? Not to mention offers for O'Donnell and Gordon. How are we in the market for these players with no cap to spend.

Cmon Mortz you commented privately and said you have a close contact. Dont be scared of Reefy.

Last edited:
Matt Wright, Stapo. Seriously how much would they be on, Wright was signed from Penrith's SG Ball and is in the middle of a 3 year deal. Stapo was resigned last year to a new deal and has two years to go as well I think. If they are on inflated salaries who is going to buy them anyway? No contracted player can just be released. And my info is that the club wants Wright anyway.

Backended cap problems?? Ive said my peice on this topic as has the new coach publicly. Nothing more to say really. People can believe who they want. But Ill humour you guys for a minute and ask you this question.

A squad of 25 is required to fill a $4.1 million cap. We have 5 or 6 players off contract and have signed no one new. So if we are already at the cap meaning we cant sign anyone and have to try to release contracted players, what does give us 17 players or something? Who fills the spots. How did we just offer Kris Keating $200k or thereabouts? Not to mention offers for O'Donnell and Gordon. How are we in the market for these players with no cap to spend.

Cmon Mortz you commented privately and said you have a close contact. Dont be scared of Reefy.

Your right Sam.

There is no way we could put offers out to those players if we couldn't do the deal.

So we are not at our cap.

By the way. Anyone know if Reece Williams or John Mannah will be with us next season?

Frenzy.

Immortal

sam, it was Irvine that said in a live interview that The Sharks are just $80k under the cap. Do you think he fibbed?

That was before rep bonuses kick in.

2 x players in the indigenous game. 3 in SOO. 1 in COO. 1 Australian rep. The standard bonus for SOO is $20,000!!!!

That is the $80k gone for certain and probably more. The Sharks are probably just over the cap as we type.

reefy has explained backending 100 times so I'm not going through it again. If you don't get it that's your problem

sam, it was Irvine that said in a live interview that The Sharks are just $80k under the cap. Do you think he fibbed?

2 x players in the indigenous game. 3 in SOO. 1 in COO. 1 Australian rep. The standard bonus for SOO is $20,000!!!!

That is the $80k gone for certain and probably more. The Sharks are probably just over the cap as we type.

reefy has explained backending 100 times so I'm not going through it again. If you don't get it that's your problem

Yeah ok but we have players off contract that won't be resigned Frenzy.

And I'm sure we will negotiate a couple of releases.

Nearly every Club will do that.

Flanagan said in a recent article that he would step up recruitment now that Ferguson was activating a clause in his contract.

What BTR is saying and what Flanagan is saying doesn't match.

samshark

Juniors

I take it you cant answer the question.

I am not aware of the Irvine comment. Thats the honest truth. I am going by my own info, what the coach has said publicly and offers out there for players. We didnt spend our $4.1 million cap this year on the top 25 only. Maybe Irvine is still taking certain NSW Cup players into account with that figure. Its obviously not good to publicly comment that a club cant afford to spend its cap.

I understand perfectly the backending of contracts. Never needed it explaining. In spite of all the evidence and comments by the coach if you guys want to believe we are at the cap next year then thats your problem. I look forward to our squad of 18 players next year.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I take it you cant answer the question.

I am not aware of the Irvine comment. Thats the honest truth. I am going by my own info, what the coach has said publicly and offers out there for players. We didnt spend our $4.1 million cap this year on the top 25 only. Maybe Irvine is still taking certain NSW Cup players into account with that figure. Its obviously not good to publicly comment that a club cant afford to spend its cap.

I understand perfectly the backending of contracts. Never needed it explaining. In spite of all the evidence and comments by the coach if you guys want to believe we are at the cap next year then thats your problem. I look forward to our squad of 18 players next year.

HAHA poor bait, not good enough

Irvine said this in the ABC radio Interview about 6 weeks ago. The full transcript is on here somewhere. The interview may still even be on the ABC radio site. You can look, I'm not

Frenzy.

Immortal
Yeah ok but we have players off contract that won't be resigned Frenzy.

Ok, so that answers half your own statement. What if there is one release only. That player was on $100k. Does it free up $100k? Not necessarily because waiting in the wings is player 2 who signed for $600k over 3 years with net year as his last. He was backended for whatever reason. Maybe $100k in year 1, $200k in year 2 and $300k for his last year. Therefore the $100k from the released player is cancelled out.

That's a simple example. Take 25 contracted players, add in some potential new ones, some rep bonuses, other incentive bonuses that may occur etc and it's a nightmare and far from being as simple as 1 goes another to the same value comes.

DS said:
And I'm sure we will negotiate a couple of releases.

Nearly every Club will do that.

Naturally and the accountants earn their money at this time of year.

Flanagan said in a recent article that he would step up recruitment now that Ferguson was activating a clause in his contract.

Take that as you will. It could mean that Fergo leaving frees up $20k or $120k. No one knows unless they know details of the backenders. Stepping up could mean increasing an offer by a mere $10,000. It's really just spin.

What BTR is saying and what Flanagan is saying doesn't match.

Doesn't have to. They can both be correct. It's all about degrees. reefy and I haven't been best of forum pals this year but I'll back him on this.

samshark

Juniors
HAHA poor bait, not good enough

Irvine said this in the ABC radio Interview about 6 weeks ago. The full transcript is on here somewhere. The interview may still even be on the ABC radio site. You can look, I'm not

And still.

So all of a sudden you of all people want to believe something Irvine has said.

What is also on here is an SMH article I posted where Flanagan stated that we have plenty cap space to spend and he is in the market etc etc. You can find that one.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
What is also on here is an SMH article I posted where Flanagan stated that we have plenty cap space to spend and he is in the market etc etc. You can find that one.

I think you will find that article was well before he saw the cold hard reality of the situation. Who d you believe? A link by sam to a paper that hires weidler or a club official?

samshark

Juniors
I think you will find that article was well before he saw the cold hard reality of the situation. Who d you believe? A link by sam to a paper that hires weidler or a club official?

No it wasnt.
Exactly who'd you believe. Recent article with direct quotes from the 2011 coach or youself, the man that told us all Ricky would be resigned to a further two years.

Look at the end of the day you've got your opinion and information, whatever and Ive got mine. But you simply cant explain why if we are so capped to the max have we made considerable offers to players in the market. There's $600-$700k worth of offers out there.

carcharias

Immortal
who the f**k posts in the middle of a state of origin when the score is 13 to 12 with 20 to go

haha

I remember the king admitting to having a quick check of the forum while some sheila he had got back to his joint was waiting for him in bed.